Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Registering at an address but not living there

Registering at an address but not living there

Old Jan 27th 2020, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering at an address but not living there

Richard Henshall: It's an Afrikaans word that means something similar to 'depart in a flurry of sexual endeavour' but similar to the Dutch.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Ah! A non-EU word then!
Old Jan 27th 2020, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

...but clearly a most useful word. One to remember and to use frequently.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

VOETSAK!!!!
Old Jan 27th 2020, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
VOETSAK!!!!
Speak for yourself!
Old Jan 27th 2020, 1:12 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I think you perhaps miss my point......... The residency/reunification of family rules/rights in Holland are VERY different to those of Portugal.
No, I haven't missed your point at all. I understood perfectly what you said. You, on the other hand, appear to have totally ignored my points, which are fully borne out by the link which Richard, very unassumingly and with his usual degree of helpfulness, slipped in there A read of it and the link to the rules for family members of Dutch citizens might be most instructive for you.

The former are fairly restrictive & dependent on a number of things including (IIRC) a language test etc whilst the latter is remarkably lax & a whilst a PT citizen can register residency in Holland reasonably easily, the Dutch rules for reunification will apply when he/she tries to get residency for the non EU spouse rather than the PT rules.
And when you have, you'll see that the civic integration test (which includes a language element) only applies in the case of non-EU spouses of Dutch citizens and not to non-EU spouses of other EU citizens, who have a much reduced burden in terms of getting registered and can enlist assistance from the EU in the event of any awkwardness on the part of any national authority refusing it.

Using the term EU Citizen or expecting EU Citizen's rights can be a minefield of trouble IMO.
Objecting to it seems to be a minefield all of its own.

I think I'll continue with the use of EU citizen / non-EU citizen, just for the sake of brevity and clarity, if it's all the same to you.

You are correct on one matter which is actually of relevance to the OP, though and that is the ease with which non-EU spouses of Portuguese nationals can get registered in Portugal. It rests on the principle that it will always be at least as easy as the process for non-EU spouses of other EU nationals, thus avoiding the distasteful discrepancies which arise in the UK and the Netherlands.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot get away from the fact of what the definition of the word 'Citizen' is not can you get away from the fact that the EU is not a country but rather a trading block of member states which means you cannot be a Citizen of a trading block which means you cannot be an EU Citizen.

People can identify as anything they like including an EU Citizen, a tooth fairy or even a diamond studded unicorn but that doesn't mean they actually are one.

Hell: I'd like to identify as a lottery winner but I doubt anyone will give me the money I believe I'm entitled to. lol!
Old Jan 27th 2020, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dingg
VOETSAK!!!!
I guess it's just habit or possibly old age but I often find myself talking to my animals in African languages or at least using African expressions in conversations but I just don't realise it until afterwards................... Some must think I'm barking mad.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

... Some must think I'm barking mad.
Who are we to argue?
Old Jan 27th 2020, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Well that went off piste very quickly! Long and short of the story: do not register myself in PT until I am there!
Old Jan 27th 2020, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sherbert
Well that went off piste very quickly! Long and short of the story: do not register myself in PT until I am there!
That tends to happen sometimes but the short answer is ja. Sorry yebo. Sorry Ndio. Sorry. YES. Wait until you're here as no matter what happens with Brexit you'll still have the right to both residency & citizenship.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 5:43 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot get away from the fact of what the definition of the word 'Citizen' is not can you get away from the fact that the EU is not a country but rather a trading block of member states which means you cannot be a Citizen of a trading block which means you cannot be an EU Citizen.
I think you were doing reasonably OK (other than that the EU clearly is not simply a trading bloc but we'll skip that for the time being), until you got to the final clause.

Would you regard the EU as a political community?
Old Jan 27th 2020, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sherbert
Definitely the wiser course of action, I would say.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of going off topic & of sounding like I'm splitting hairs, I note you use the term 'EU Citizen' but it's important people realise there is no such thing despite the fact that even the EU use that term a LOT in their legislation.

If you look at the definition of the word 'Citizen' it's "a person who is a member of a particular country and who has rights because of being born there or because of being given rights, or a person who lives in a particular town or city:" and whilst every EU member state is a country, the EU isn't and each member state has it's own different variation of citizen's rights.

Which in turn means (for example) that if a Portuguese citizen moved to Holland & tried to claim reunification for his spouse as a right according to the Citizen's rights of Portugal, then Holland would give them the big voetsak.

So although that doesn't sound important at first, it actually is very important in some cases.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...nglish/citizen
Damn right you're going off topic and splitting hairs!
You just cant drop damn thing can you?

STOP quoting dictionary as source for challenging legal wording in international treaties & documents.
If concept of EU citizen is eating you so much, go for group hug at local brexit party working men club.
Old Jan 29th 2020, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

People can identify as anything they like including an EU Citizen, a tooth fairy or even a diamond studded unicorn but that doesn't mean they actually are one.

Hell: I'd like to identify as a lottery winner but I doubt anyone will give me the money I believe I'm entitled to. lol!
I don't think you can get away from the fact that the term "EU Citizen" is an official term, as used by members of the EU. Here is one example: https://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/s...your-rights_en

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.