Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Is this a record?

Is this a record?

Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Montinhos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this a record?

Pulled over at faro airport in December 2011. I`d forgotten to put in the windscreen my new proof of insurance bit of paper. It was at home and I was displaying one that expired a week before. Given notice to go in with all documents to local police within 7 days. Did that with no problem.
July 2012. Given 2 fines.
1. Not being insured.........500 Euros
2. Failing to display correct documentation........500 Euros

Seems a bit over the top to me especially as I was still insured throughout. Will have a chat with Lawyer when I get home,but I`m not holding my breath;especially as both fines rise to 2500 Euros each if I do not pay within 15 days.

I enjoy living here and have not experienced anything like this before;I have to say that it has left a rather poor taste in my mouth.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:12 pm
Banned

Benny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to allBenny Dorm is a name known to all
Default Re: Is this a record?

Harsh indeed, but I bet you won't make that mistake again. Shame a similar regime is not in force in the UK. There, according to a TV program I saw last night on Channel 5, a car thief who was chased by the police at speeds in excess of 90mph in a 30mph area and then crashed head on into an oncoming car was given 6 points on his PROVISIONAL licence and a 6 month SUSPENDED prison sentence. I know where I would rather be driving.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Montinhos
Pulled over at faro airport in December 2011. I`d forgotten to put in the windscreen my new proof of insurance bit of paper. It was at home and I was displaying one that expired a week before. Given notice to go in with all documents to local police within 7 days. Did that with no problem.
July 2012. Given 2 fines.
1. Not being insured.........500 Euros
2. Failing to display correct documentation........500 Euros

A customer of ours was stopped a few months back and had the wrong Carta verde also... he was fined 60€ on the spot, I don't get why you have been humped 500€ for basically the same thing!

1st fine you are not gulilty off but 2nd you are obviously.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Can anybody tell me what happens to the people who dont pay these fines?

No fixed assets, no declared money and a complete waste of time locking them up.

Take Gypsies for example, how can you get blood out of a stone?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

Why didn't you go to court and present a case on the hearing date ?

Your only option now is to pay, but also lodge an appeal - if sucessful you'll be reimbursed.

But i do agree the size of the penalty does seem harsh
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

We got stopped just outside Castro Verde - we always get stopped there

We had just changed the green sticker and I had put it in the wrong way round and also left the new MOT at home.

I apologised, said it was all my fault and he put the green sticker the right way and told me to make sure I got the MOT in the car as soon as I got back home.

Also got stopped in Almondover on the way back, apologised straight away, explained what had happened the day befor and he told me the same. Make sure you put it in th car as soon as you get home.

There are nice policemen out there
Old Jul 18th 2012, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Montinhos is an unknown quantity at this point

There wasn`t a hearing in court.

The policeman who I dealt with was fine about it and showed a pragmatic attitude about it and didn`t fine me on the spot.

My own feeling on it is that there has been a review of certain infringements which may (or may not) have involved a fine at the time, involving certain people and someone somewhere considers it a nice little earner to give a massive fine to be paid within 15 days. (perhaps they are on commission as well?). I hope this will not be the case for you also Fuzetajan. I wonder if it`s easy to change my name to Luis Goncalves or similar... :-)

I`ll pay it and consider appealing the first charge.

Still better than living in Scotland or England though.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fuzetajan
There are nice policemen out there
You must have been wearing a belt as a skirt!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

At my age

It was in January, so fingers crossed Montinhos