Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Recommended Restaurants

Recommended Restaurants

Old May 16th 2008, 9:37 am
Á Boa Vida

cavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommended Restaurants

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
LOL their menu is in vinyl letters stuck onto a board screwed onto their front wall...no don't need anything translating the whole point is that it's proper portuguese grub that has no real translation. It is just very very tasty!

G

OH I LOVE THOSE PLACES.

When I was a little boy living in Lisboa we were very very poor. My grandma would sometimes have to go out to do work and she would take me with her. When we were hungry she knew these places..... Dark places in streets so small two people could not pass at the same time. They were dark and mysterious but the food was great and it was cheap so we could afford to eat a little.

I will never forget those days or those places.... Or the food.

Today I am an American. I can have anything I want whenever I want it….. Except, I can’t have that food OR that feeling of having something that was so valuable. But when we go to Portugal I can at least in part recapture that feeling at “those places”.

Old May 16th 2008, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Magick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cavalierhome

Thank you for sharing your experiences - it is always interesting to read about other people's lives.

I totally love Portugal and am really looking forward to going back there tomorrow - counting the hours till I land!

I have been extremely fortunate in that the owner of the hotel I usually stay at is very keen to get to the "real" Portugal and he has taken me places that most "tourists" would not even know exist let alone have the courage to try. Through knowing Derric he has inspired me to try to get to places that the locals frequent, no matter what country I am in, and to always try something new - you never know you might actually like it!

Magick
Old May 16th 2008, 2:34 pm
Á Boa Vida

cavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magick
Hi Cavalierhome

Thank you for sharing your experiences - it is always interesting to read about other people's lives.

I totally love Portugal and am really looking forward to going back there tomorrow - counting the hours till I land!

I have been extremely fortunate in that the owner of the hotel I usually stay at is very keen to get to the "real" Portugal and he has taken me places that most "tourists" would not even know exist let alone have the courage to try. Through knowing Derric he has inspired me to try to get to places that the locals frequent, no matter what country I am in, and to always try something new - you never know you might actually like it!

Magick

Absolutely.

Besides there is not much point in going someplace to stay locked away in a resort and then think you actually visited the place.

Hawaii is a good example. Most people that go there (My second favorite place on earth), stay at the big beautiful hotels and never go anywhere except there or on the tourist tours…. They take the tourists down to a grotto and walk them around to see the “nature” except all of it was put there on purpose just for them etc.

We have been there several times and we always try to find a local and have him/her show us around. Last time we ended up at someone’s pig far eating food for lunch….

Don’t get me wrong I love the resorts but I know that they were put there for my pleasure and luxury and that if I want to actually partake in the real local scene I have to be willing to take a chance and look away from the resorts.
Old May 16th 2008, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

luckylady is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

To the earlier poster the retaurant you referred to in Sao Martinho is Called Carvalho can agree with your recommendation. Try L'Pyramide it is on the big rounabout as you come into Sao Martinho. No english but excellent food.
Old May 16th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Magick
Hi Cavalierhome

Magick
You don't happen to stay at the Belavista do you?
G
Old May 18th 2008, 9:23 am
Just Joined

lillymg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moonandsixpence
Hi all

Anyone any good experiences in or around Vila Real De Santo Antonio or (dare I ask ) Ayamonte just over the border?
Travelling back to Tavira soon and have tried a lot of good eateries in town. (fav at moment Brisa do Rio). Wonder if any out into the countryside worth a try.
Old May 18th 2008, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Algarveaddick is an unknown quantity at this point

Jompra in Vale de Para, near Salgados is excellent.
Old May 18th 2008, 3:16 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lillymg
Travelling back to Tavira soon and have tried a lot of good eateries in town. (fav at moment Brisa do Rio). Wonder if any out into the countryside worth a try.
There's Mesa da Cume; it's about half an hour out of Tavira on the Cachopo road. Up in the hills with great views and you can take a walk from and back to it. It has a website at mesadacume.net. Good luck.
Old May 19th 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TaviraTrog
There's Mesa da Cume; it's about half an hour out of Tavira on the Cachopo road. Up in the hills with great views and you can take a walk from and back to it. It has a website at mesadacume.net. Good luck.
This is a fantastic place to eat, the views are spectacular and the food is wonderful. you should have kept it quiet!! Now they will all want to go there!
Joao
Old May 20th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

And the restaurant at Bemparece, carry on after Porto Cavalhoso and it's on your right.
Fialho at Torre de Aires.
Forno in Santo Estevao (presently closed for renovations)
The new restaurant in the main street in Moncarapacho (in what used to be the farmacia, set menu 7€)
Old May 20th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

Hi everyone

As someone who is from over the border but who also loves the Algarve here are some of my favourites.

In the country - fab views and often good and authentic food:
Cannot remember most of the names but the villages are small so you cannot miss them.
1. Quarenca - had some very interesting local dishes at the restaurant here
2. Alte - riverside place - I think it is used for evening touristy events because of its location but we don't go then.
3. Salir - Casa Mouro Bar - near the castle ruins.
4. On the route up to Foia from Monchique ( I am guessing I remember this correctly - the cheapest set meal chicken piri piri at La Rampa - really good and incredibly cheap.
5. Two more Monchique places that I think are worth going to - partly because they are fab locations - restaurant in Caldas de Monchique in the small open area and Jardin das Oliveiras - off the main Monchique Foia road - it is signposted.

Coast
Had some great hols in Carvoeiro so favourite restaurants are:
1. In town centre Ela and Ele - great food there but quite pricey.
2. Fab restaurants in Benagil - three on the hillside as you come up from the little cove. Like the one closest to the beach best - great fish. Quite pricey but good fish.
3. In Vilamoura it is very pricey generally but the place we go back to regularly because the manager is so friendly and food regularly good - good cataplanas, steak on a stone and flaming chorizo sausage. The restaurant is int eh block behind the Irish bar where the Staek house is - away from the marina where most of the food seems average and expensive. Its name is A Broa (card says the address is Edf. Delta Marina.
4. Another Vilamoura restaurant we have been told about is Don Alfonso - off the marina www.donalfonso-restaurant.com. Looks a cut above.

Near the border

We have not been but we have been told O Infante near the Monte Gordo turnoff is supposed to be good.

Carol
Old May 26th 2008, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

aaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really niceaaron and jo is just really nice

ok from our bad experience of emploment in tavira i suppose i had better jump on this band wagon.

we travel from vila nova de cacela all the way to carviero just to eat in CALIFORNIA restaurant, it is mainly italian serving a good variety of freshly cooked pizzas and pasta. they do have a meat and fish which is always well cooked. the portion sizes are excellent and the price is good. my family of five can eat there for around €45 including a couple of drinks. the service is very good and are very child friendly.

also we have just discovered a new restaurant in cabanas called o monte. it is good food with a french twist. reasonable prices and portion sizes, service is good and an excellent ambience.
thats it for now.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

CakeMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lillymg
Just got back from Tavira again and I always try to go to at least one different restaurant every time. This time it was O Ciclista. You take the turn off to Cachopo by the N125 bridge over the river, go down the hill and turn left. It's then about 200 yards on the left. The octopus salad is fantastic.