Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Recommended Agents for import of motorcycle

Recommended Agents for import of motorcycle

Old Dec 13th 2020, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recommended Agents for import of motorcycle

Yes yes late in the day but I've ummed and ahhed about this all year.
With only weeks to go I think I'm going to do it, but with that timescale I'm better paying an agent I think.
This is a motorcycle not a car.
This isn't part of the 1 vehicle free from matriculation as I've been here too long.

So any recommendations or advice please?
Old Dec 13th 2020, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommended Agents for import of motorcycle

Probably start with Organifacho at Pombal ... Or have a chat first with local motorcycle expert/shop depending on the nature of your bike - parts available, vintage??, road tax annually to expect ... You are not far from Peniche where the relevant customs office is but I doubt they take callers, better through the importing agent for that.
Good luck!
Old Dec 13th 2020, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Top info about Peniche, thanks for that
Old Jan 7th 2021, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

As an update...
The agents (4 of them) were useless, different versions of procedures etc etc.
Did it solo,.
IMT 4 different people all with different versions of procedure, online info incorrect also due covid etc.

Thankfully the above info regarding Peniche customs office was invaluable!

The guy there talked me through all steps and was very patient.
Managed to pay the tax before even having the documents from IMT saving me approx 600 euros in tax as it was done 2days before brexit.

Key points for others considering motorcycle importation as a lot of the info is incorrect online.

1) Don't assume a sound test is required, if you have or get a CofC then it includes the dB so a check is not required. If the motorcycle is very old or from outside Europe THEN it will require a sound/noise test etc.

2) The import tax is minimal if from EU ie a 1200cc Ducati is only 90euros (plus 150 for the CofC)

3) The strict order of steps required isn't fixed and easily interchangeable, I paid the tax before any other step.

4) If the motorcycle has no insurance or been in Portugal for some time a fine will be issued (I think after 20 or 30 days) but its approx 70euros

5) Agents, IMT, Customs will assume and tell you it will take many months to complete, if politely pushy it can be done in a couple of weeks

6) The inspection step to legalise and repeat annually is NOT required, it is expected to change in the future but currently there is no inspection/mot required for motorcycles of any size in Portugal

7) A slight note to mention is that if you have a CofC you are not actually applying for Homologação, the CofC is proof of Homologação! You still use the modelo9 form but what IMT are doing is signing that they accept the CofC provided.

Hope this all helps someone else.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

tom99 is an unknown quantity at this point

did the customs say anything about importing from the uk after 31 dec? I have a suzuki I would like to bring in.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom99
did the customs say anything about importing from the uk after 31 dec? I have a suzuki I would like to bring in.
That you can but as a non eu import só big difference in tax due
Old Jan 15th 2021, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

does 'the one vehicle free' have to be a car could it be a van or bike
Old Jan 15th 2021, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Your choice, but if bringing more than one don't choose the bike as the tax is minimal in comparison to a car or van
Old Jan 16th 2021, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

and it is one vehicle per person, rather than household, in case that helps?
Old Jan 16th 2021, 10:02 am
Just Joined

even though the the car, the van and the bike are all registered to me ,can one be for my wife?
Also the van is from 1990 it is a lhd vw I bought in germany over 20 years ago for which I still have the original german reg.doc.

Last edited by tom99; Jan 16th 2021 at 10:03 am. Reason: change
Old Jan 16th 2021, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

To my knowledge you will need to have the "wife" allowance vehicle registered in her name for a set period (min 6montbs I believe but do check incase 12months)

As for the the German docs, I don't think it will help, unless you have it registered in your name in Germany.

Personally I would put the car or van in her name, bring one each and pay for the bike as an outside the allowance import paying about 700euros tax
Old Jan 16th 2021, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I think the German doc might work very well; the vehicle originates in Germany, even if it was in some other place for a while.
Anyway, worth a try.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I think the German doc might work very well; the vehicle originates in Germany, even if it was in some other place for a while.
Anyway, worth a try.
Not arguing the point at all, just curious.
If the docs are 20 yrs old or no longer in your name then wouldn't that invalidate the rule that says it has to be registered to you for previous 6 months?
(in the situation of free import as the OP was saying?)

If importing outside of the the entitlement then you have to submit the Current registration document, so that wouldn't be the 20yr old one prior to UK registered?

As I say not arguing, just looking to see if I've missed something?
Old Jan 17th 2021, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the German docs would not help get a personal exemption, but might get you out of additional import tax levied on non-EU imports.

This sort of issue is for experts in import rules to sort out.

The actual origin country of cars is tricky, with components made in many different places.
Also, we have VAT questions; what if UK VAT was paid when the UK was still in the EU? Will EU customs authorities recognize that as VAT paid?

All will be revealed as time goes on.
Old Jan 17th 2021, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ahh totally agree with the mess and hopefully things will clear up.

As for origins, My ducati is obviously Italian.... Yet after visiting the factory in bologna 2yrs ago I discovered that only the valves were made in Italy 😂

Every other part made in South American, China, Africa etc and Italy only assembled them!
Truly a world bike 😂😂

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.