Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Quarantine possible as Covid numbers rise

Quarantine possible as Covid numbers rise

Old Sep 1st 2020, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quarantine possible as Covid numbers rise

Some young people without underlying health problems are experiencing long-term difficulties.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 11:07 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
Some young people without underlying health problems are experiencing long-term difficulties.

Yes they are sadly.

Rosemary
Old Sep 1st 2020, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am living my life like someone in a post-apocalypse SF novel by John Wyndham.. Like my Confederate co-belligerent Pulaski, I am doing OK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wyndham
Old Sep 1st 2020, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been out of the house since the last week in January. I'm content with my books, musical instruments, brushes and paint. Our groceries are delivered our door, no contact. My DH can work from home. We bought two masks on line, locally made masks that have two extra super filters. They were invented by a scubba diving suit manufacturer. Some advantages of living by the sea I suppose. A good mask helps when garbage needs taking out down the narrow stairs and if covidiots are walking around on the narrow sidewalks one feels more safe of others who aren't masking or distancing. OUr postie doesn't care at all, she wears no mask and doesn't social distance. I have begun to accept this will be how life is for me for the next few years. It's better than that box six feet under IMO. 😊
Old Sep 1st 2020, 6:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thegolfer
Quote from the FT article posted above negates your theory. ...
Not really. See post #10 above, #'s 1, 2, 6 & 7, and post #14. All are reasons why there are currently fewer deaths - and the charts you posted do show a six week lag for deaths compared to infections, but there has been a far smaller peak in deaths in the second wave for several of the reasons I listed.

The longer term consequences of being infected with covid-19 even if you have minor symptoms, remains to be seen, and it could take months or years for the full picture to emerge.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 7:27 pm
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not really. See post #10 above, #'s 1, 2, 6 & 7, and post #14. All are reasons why there are currently fewer deaths - and the charts you posted do show a six week lag for deaths compared to infections, but there has been a far smaller peak in deaths in the second wave for several of the reasons I listed.

The longer term consequences of being infected with covid-19 even if you have minor symptoms, remains to be seen, and it could take months or years for the full picture to emerge.
A massive understatement if ever there was......

Long term consequences....yeah maybe complications in a very tiny percentage of people infected as there is with every disease known to mankind. So far to date 26 million have been infected with Covid 19 Globally.....7 million currently active.......and 18 Million recovered....Strange you don't hear the stories of these 18 Million.......mmm Not Sensational or Alarming enough for the media? We certainly don't want a "well I had it, it was rough for a few weeks but I feel great now" Headlines now do we.....

So, we continue in this state of uncertainty for months or years? Not ever going to happen.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 7:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A massive understatement if ever there was......

Long term consequences....yeah maybe complications in a very tiny percentage of people infected as there is with every disease known to mankind. So far to date 26 million have been infected with Covid 19 Globally.....7 million currently active.......and 18 Million recovered....Strange you don't hear the stories of these 18 Million.......mmm Not Sensational or Alarming enough for the media? We certainly don't want a "well I had it, it was rough for a few weeks but I feel great now" Headlines now do we. .....
A recent German study found that 70%-80% of those that had "recovered" still had the virus in organs including the heart muscle tissue where it had cause inflamation. IIRC of the total 70%-80%, 35%, so around half of those that had "recovered" had inflamed heart tissue. I don't know about you, but I would be more than a little concerned about having inflamed heart tissue.
.... So, we continue in this state of uncertainty for months or years? Not ever going to happen
Er, vCJD??? Twenty years after the deaths in the UK caused by vCJD peaked, at a total of 28 in an entire year, and after a decade where deaths have either been 0 or 1, the medical profession still insists that those who were exposed to prion proteins may still experience a flareup, or pass on the disease via blood transfusions.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 8:01 pm
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A recent German study found that 70%-80% of those that had "recovered" still had the virus in organs including the heart muscle tissue where it had cause inflamation. IIRC of the total 70%-80%, 35%, so around half of those that had "recovered" had inflamed heart tissue. I don't know about you, but I would be more than a little concerned about having inflamed heart tissue.

Er, vCJD??? Twenty years after the deaths in the UK caused by vCJD peaked, at a total of 28 in an entire year, and after a decade where deaths have either been 0 or 1, the medical profession still insists that those who were exposed to prion proteins may still experience a flareup, or pass on the disease via blood transfusions.
The study was 100 people and out of that 100 many in the study had a pre-existing cardiovascular condition....so no not really a comprehensive all reaching mass study over time now is it. 100 patients studied out of the 18 million recovered.....

CJD lol.....can't remember ever destroying the entire world economy and wearing masks over it.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 8:07 pm

..... CJD lol.....can't remember ever destroying the entire world economy ....
Pretty much wiped out the British national herd though - the cost was £billions.
.... and wearing masks over it.
Well that wasn't how it was communicated.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone remember Aids hiv, was going to kill everyone, cv19 is the new aids.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by dingg
If covid-19 is the new AIDS, then masks are the new condoms!

AIDS is still there, but it has been tamed by a lot of prevention of transmission, and the application of some expensive antiviral drugs.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 9:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dingg
Yep.....well said....I remember mass hysteria whipped up by the media and especially those TV ads and people just like now going into mass panic and spreading nonsense
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep.....well said....I remember mass hysteria whipped up by the media and especially those TV ads and people just like now going into mass panic and spreading nonsense
Aids was transmitted in a specific way, which involved very close contact with another person. Covid can hit anyone just passing by when somebody sneezes or coughs, or even if it's lingering on the surface of something. They even attributed AIDS to a specic sector of the community. It is vastly different. They worked hard and found a cure, let's hope they do that with covid, I doubt it though as the common cold is in the coronavirus family and we can't cure that.

Last edited by bons; Sep 2nd 2020 at 9:39 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 9:35 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Aids was transmitted in a specific way, which involved very close contact with another person. Covid can hit anyone just passing by when somebody sneezes or coughs, or even if it's lingering on the surface of something. They even attributed AIDS it to a specic sector of the community. It is vastly different. They worked hard and found a cure, let's hope they do that with covid, I doubt it though as it's the common cold is in the coronavirus family and we can't cure that.
Totally agree. Excellent post.

Rosemary
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Aids was transmitted in a specific way, which involved very close contact with another person. Covid can hit anyone just passing by when somebody sneezes or coughs, or even if it's lingering on the surface of something. They even attributed AIDS to a specic sector of the community. It is vastly different. They worked hard and found a cure, let's hope they do that with covid, I doubt it though as the common cold is in the coronavirus family and we can't cure that.
Theres no cure for aids, there's a myriad of treatments but afaiu no cure.
Some of the aids antivirals have been trialed on cv19 with not much success

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.