Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Quarantine lifted for Portugal

Quarantine lifted for Portugal

Old Aug 21st 2020, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quarantine lifted for Portugal

Originally Posted by macliam
Not true either.... but I guess some people like to think the worst.
I could refer you to the numerous anti British posts on here but you will have previously read them.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 4:30 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
I could refer you to the numerous anti British posts on here but you will have previously read them.
Your comment is still untrue - whether you consider posts to be "anti-British" or not, they were presumably made by other posters on BE, not by "the rest of Europe" in general.

The suggestion that "they're all against us" is rarely true and often a way to inculcate hostility.... or to suppress criticism.

Last edited by macliam; Aug 21st 2020 at 5:26 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 5:13 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

How on earth can anti British posts on a forum populated mainly by Brits be representative of how people from other countries view us as a nation?

Rosemary
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
China and the US are on the quarantine list, so I don't thing it is the UK jumping whenever the US tells us.

Nothing to do with the Virus bons The ' speculation' was about trade deals
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Wild speculation indeed.

It was entirely due to the ratio of infections within the population over a given period.

Well I have to admit that your probable right Eric ( This is ME.. not the speculations ) The Portuguese have all but admitted that it was the way they sent in their figures before the air bridge was announced They didn't ( apparantly ? ) calculate them in the way the Brits did. Lumping ALL the new figures of infections under LISBON.. Instead of under the different camera's... That shot the figure up beyond the cut off of so many per 100,000 in one area Thats the story now
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
Despite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-...Treaty_of_1373

I have suspected from the outset, that despite the R numbers, there was a political case behind the UK delaying the lifting of restrictions on travel to Portugal. Maybe it's China, maybe something else.

However, I hope we are not going to see a massive influx of tourists from the UK, particularly England, as Portugal does not need an influx of rule breaking loonies. I also hope that Portuguese locals will refrain from travelling to the UK unless absolutely necessary as the British Govt. is way behind Portugal on managing spikes and the virus.
Not to mention hygiene and distancing at the airports
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rosemary
How on earth can anti British posts on a forum populated mainly by Brits be representative of how people from other countries view us as a nation?

Rosemary

Exactly Rosemary... This is a knee jerk reaction from Chislenko... It is almost entirely BRITISH people posting their concerns on here. If it is about other BRITISH people's behaviour in the country the poster is living in, its entirely legitimate to say so. Being British does not exempt you from just criticism, if your behaviour deserves it. And Oh boy as I know. it too often does
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 7:55 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Well I have to admit that your probable right Eric ( This is ME.. not the speculations ) The Portuguese have all but admitted that it was the way they sent in their figures before the air bridge was announced They didn't ( apparantly ? ) calculate them in the way the Brits did. Lumping ALL the new figures of infections under LISBON.. Instead of under the different camera's... That shot the figure up beyond the cut off of so many per 100,000 in one area Thats the story now
Really?

That's not what I read.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
If that is the case, then it has confirmed my conviction that over the past decades, the quality of the officials sent by the Foreign & whatever Office to (wo)man HM's embassy in Lisbon (and to Embassies and missions all over the world,) has been decreasing drastically. I also cannot imagine that the Portuguese Ambassador to the Court of St. James would have wasted much time correcting any such misconception!

However, I am convinced that there is something (apart from Brexit) underlying current political relations between London and Lisbon. I'd love to figure out what is is!
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 1:10 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

It's come to something when conspiracy-mongers can't be bothered even to attempt a plausible explanation for their theories
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see how the infection rates accelerate in the Algarve in about a month's time when the Brits arrive. Currently Algarve, and particularly the Eastern end one of the safest places in Europe.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Let's see how the infection rates accelerate in the Algarve in about a month's time when the Brits arrive. Currently Algarve, and particularly the Eastern end one of the safest places in Europe.
Need i say anymore, yes you want the Brit pound to keep the businesses afloat but of course it will be down to them if the R Rate goes up.

There you go Rosemary!

Old Aug 22nd 2020, 6:58 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Need i say anymore, yes you want the Brit pound to keep the businesses afloat but of course it will be down to them if the R Rate goes up.

There you go Rosemary!
Given the infection rates in the UK and in the Algarve, such a concern is valid..... plus, of course, Brits in Albufeira have such a great reputation for responsibility......

But, then again, it isn't the Portuguese saying that - which was your incorrect suggestion.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 8:22 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

There you go Rosemary!
Yet again you seem to be missing the point that it is not Portugese people making these statements.

Rosemary

Old Aug 23rd 2020, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Yet again you seem to be missing the point that it is not Portugese people making these statements.

Rosemary
I haven't missed any point and I didn't infer it was Portuguese people saying it on here.

That's my lot anyway.

​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.