British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Protecting new car from sun during long absences (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/protecting-new-car-sun-during-long-absences-945403/)

riv Sep 5th 2022 1:09 pm

Protecting new car from sun during long absences

If all goes to plan, I should be picking up my new Duster in the next month or so. I have always in the past made do with second hand cars ( quite old ones actually ) so have never bothered about things like exposure to sun damage .

However I think I do need to guard against it for the new car in all its Urban Grey glory . It may well be left for months on end ( esp over winter ) parked in my small yard around the house - well exposed to sunshine. I am hoping to grow grape vines over a trellis but that won't help for the next year or two.

So is it a good idea to cover the whole vehicle with some kind of cover ? Or would condensation then be a problem ?

If a cover is a good idea : what's the nearest equivalent to Halfords from which to purchase such an item ( online hopefully ) ?

BillBullock Sep 5th 2022 3:51 pm

Re: Protecting new car from sun during long absences

How about this from Amazon Spain?
https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07CNTN3PT/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

toots sweet Sep 5th 2022 4:19 pm

Go to a caravan/motorhome dealer,they should have something that should do the trick. Sell covers to avoid damp/condensation when parked up.

riv Sep 5th 2022 4:31 pm

Thanks for suggestion............but I was thinking of something costing around 25 Euros ( or pounds even ).......

liveaboard Sep 5th 2022 6:54 pm

I strongly advise you to spend a bit more than that.
A good thick heavy impervious cover is a minimum.
I have one of those cheapos, water soaks right through (I use it against bird droppings in the garage).

The sun will destroy your nice new car if you don't protect it.
If you possibly can, get someone to build you a little roof just high enough to fit under.
Not only the exterior paint, but the interior will get so hot that the plastics will perish in a summer or two.

BillBullock Sep 5th 2022 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by liveaboard (Post 13139296)
I strongly advise you to spend a bit more than that.
A good thick heavy impervious cover is a minimum.
I have one of those cheapos, water soaks right through (I use it against bird droppings in the garage).

The sun will destroy your nice new car if you don't protect it.
If you possibly can, get someone to build you a little roof just high enough to fit under.
Not only the exterior paint, but the interior will get so hot that the plastics will perish in a summer or two.

I fully agree with these comments.

riv Sep 6th 2022 9:02 am

Crikey ! Maybe I was right all my life to just go for old cars and good breakdown insurance !

Midgo Sep 6th 2022 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by riv (Post 13139428)
Crikey ! Maybe I was right all my life to just go for old cars and good breakdown insurance !

you were :D

Wifey got a new second hand car a few months back and we thought of a cover, but then were told by a car sprayer mate about dust getting in and any slight breeze moving the cover slightly but continuously - tah-dah! - instant sandpaper

NataHH Sep 6th 2022 3:38 pm

Before you start training grape vines check out how much sap and dirt they produce. My car is parked close to a rather large tree which produces a lot of sap which attracts wasps and flies. The roof gets covered in leaves and small twigs. Not to mention bird dropping which, unless it is removed fairly quickly, eats into the paint. If I were you I would invest in a car port unless you like the exercise of washing your car every week.

Score76 Sep 6th 2022 4:50 pm

I suspect you are after something like this:
https://www.norauto.pt/c/48658-capa-automovel.html

As other people have already said though, you get what you pay for. Something like this will get eaten by the sun very quickly and need replacing at least every year.

riv Sep 7th 2022 8:29 am

That is the sort of thing I had in mind. But I cannot imediately see one large enough for a Dacia Duster ( quite a large / bulky / tall car - not sure if it counts as an SUV )

Rambling archer Sep 7th 2022 10:09 am

Originally Posted by riv (Post 13139572)
That is the sort of thing I had in mind. But I cannot imediately see one large enough for a Dacia Duster ( quite a large / bulky / tall car - not sure if it counts as an SUV )

I believe it counts as an SUV, however there is now a distinction in the Class 1 and Class 2 categories for the motorway tolls. If it is 2x4 rather than 4x4 it is class 1, and 4x4 is class 2 (as in more expensive!). Previously it was just based on the height over the front axel of the bodywork ........... !

coleio Sep 11th 2022 8:36 am

We just use an 3m x 3m gazebo consisting of a metal frame with white rainproof roof whenever the car was being left for longer periods, doesn't touch the paintwork and any inconvenient split can be badly patched, can be dismantled then stuffed somewhere when not required. Sides also available. Keeps out most of the UV and worst of the infrequent storms and by leaving the windows open a bit the car can "breathe" and not turn into a paddling pool on wheels. Think it was 39Euro. Also useful when repairing motorcycles/impromptu barbecues/cold beer drinking outside in the blistering heat of noon.

Campanula Sep 14th 2022 7:52 pm

Remember to look after the battery too . It will go flat and damage the cells if sitting for months

riv Sep 19th 2022 8:15 am

Thank you for the suggestions / reminders.

I actually came across a place in Romania that specializes in Dacia stuff:

https://www.dacianmag.com/duster-pre...l-seasons.html

Helpful person too on the pop up chatbox thing which I normally hate.

Meanwhile delivery of the Duster itself, originally ( in April ) promised for 'Sept to Oct' has now been pushed back to November.............Makes me wonder if I should wait for the 2023 model, albeit, would that not also be delayed etc etc ??