British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Property Prices? Up? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/property-prices-up-831852/)

James3D Apr 21st 2014 5:06 pm

Property Prices? Up?

I was reading some reports about property starting actually to go up in Portugal now or is this just media spin. Is this true? Any experience? What about offers on property, last time someone told me in the climate I can offer less usually.
I would like to consider a place in September.
Thanks for any info!

mfesharne Apr 21st 2014 8:18 pm

Re: Property Prices? Up?

I'd say sales are increasing in my area at least & if that happens, I'd guess price increases might not be too far behind but I doubt they'll be dramatic. :)

James3D Apr 21st 2014 9:31 pm

Ok thanks for the information. Some of the houses on the Remax site for Portugal seem very low, its hard to see how they would go lower. I guess perhaps up a small amount for a long time and nothing dramatic as you say.

mfesharne Apr 21st 2014 9:53 pm

I have to say, I'd rate Remax as about the worst company in the universe - Every time I've tried to deal with them in 3 different countries, they've been a nightmare - The last time I contacted one they wanted me to sign a contract that said if I bought any property in that country from anyone during the coming 12 months, I'd have to pay them the relevant commission....... I told them to depart in a flurry of sexual endeavour!

What area are you looking at buying in?

FWIW, in my area (Figueiro Dos Vinhos) you can buy a 2 or 3 bed house that's habitable but in need of some modernisation from around €45K - €50K.

James3D Apr 22nd 2014 5:06 pm

Sure that area, as near to Coimbra and not so far to drive to the coast.
Thanks for the info! What does some modernization mean? A new roof? :)

mfesharne Apr 22nd 2014 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by James3D (Post 11229435)
Sure that area, as near to Coimbra and not so far to drive to the coast.
Thanks for the info! What does some modernization mean? A new roof? :)

I'll give you an example of a house that a friend of mine has just bought as a holiday home for €45K

It's solid with a good roof & wiring etc, has 3 bedrooms etc. The place has enough fireplaces to keep the house warm but has has a +/- 15 year old kitchen, single glazing without central heating.

Easily liveable but could as the agents say, benefit from new kitchen, windows & central heating.

FWIW, it has off road parking but no garage, animal shelters/storage rooms on the ground floor & is on edge of village & a largeish terraced garden with umpteen fruit trees.

Oh & could do with a bit of new paint inside but nothing that can't wait a while.

James3D Apr 22nd 2014 8:37 pm

Hi thanks,
Do you know anything about apartments in the nearby towns too?
Any links to agents if you want to pm me!
Thanks! :)

mfesharne Apr 22nd 2014 8:51 pm

Apartments tend to cost less than houses and plenty available in this area..... I've sent you s PM with a couple of ideas. :)