Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Property Negotiation

Property Negotiation

Reply

Old Nov 16th 2017, 11:08 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
Shanorme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property Negotiation

Does one offer much less than the asking price and if so, what %? Would anyone like to share their experience of negotiating property price? I'm trying to get a feel for Portuguese property etiquette.
Shanorme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th 2017, 11:56 am
  #2  
Ton
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 18
Ton has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Negotiation

Don't feel bad about offering much less than asking price.

Most of the figures you will come across have been plucked out of thin air.

Have a look at some property websites where it shows you that property has been drastically reduced by up to 40% as they just wont sell at inflated prices.
Ton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th 2017, 11:58 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
Shanorme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property Negotiation

Thanks... I don't suppose you want to direct me to those sites!!!
Shanorme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th 2017, 11:59 am
  #4  
Ton
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 18
Ton has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond reputeTon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Negotiation

The one that shows price reduction in both percentage and monetary terms is Idealista.
Ton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th 2017, 12:00 pm
  #5  
EMR
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 21,420
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Negotiation

Originally Posted by Shanorme View Post
Does one offer much less than the asking price and if so, what %? Would anyone like to share their experience of negotiating property price? I'm trying to get a feel for Portuguese property etiquette.
It all depends where you are.
In parts of the Algarve on certain types of property there is currently little negotitiation.
If the seller is a Brit planning to return to the UK , a low pound euro conversion rate may benefit them so as quick sale is what they are looking for.
Portuguese are less open to low offers .
Offer what you think is a fair price , you will know from the reaction if you are close to reaching an agreement or not.

When we sold 18months ago we settled for E3000 below the asking price.
But we had offers 16000 below, you do not need to be a genius to know how we reacted to that one.
EMR is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th 2017, 12:07 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
Shanorme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property Negotiation

Originally Posted by Ton View Post
The one that shows price reduction in both percentage and monetary terms is Idealista.
Thank you.
Shanorme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th 2017, 12:12 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
Shanorme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property Negotiation

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
It all depends where you are.
In parts of the Algarve on certain types of property there is currently little negotitiation.
If the seller is a Brit planning to return to the UK , a low pound euro conversion rate may benefit them so as quick sale is what they are looking for.
Portuguese are less open to low offers .
Offer what you think is a fair price , you will know from the reaction if you are close to reaching an agreement or not.

When we sold 18months ago we settled for E3000 below the asking price.
But we had offers 16000 below, you do not need to be a genius to know how we reacted to that one.
Looking at a few areas in East Algarve. Rural, happy with a dirt track, preferably no neighbours.
Shanorme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th 2017, 12:36 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Algarve
Posts: 349
Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Property Negotiation

It depends also on the seller. Some sellers have other projects and need the money, others don't need the money and will increase the price every 6 months.
Pilou is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th 2017, 4:57 pm
  #9  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 2,151
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Negotiation

Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
It depends also on the seller. Some sellers have other projects and need the money, others don't need the money and will increase the price every 6 months.
or the number of heirs.....

Due to the inheritance laws, a seller must have the agreement of heirs to sell. If the heirs basically "won't get out of bed" for less than €nK and there are a lot of them, the asking price will be high and non-negotiable - the seller has limited options.

When I was looking I saw ruins which were priced at crazy prices due to the above - and equally I had a purchase fail because 1 heir (out of 6) just wouldn't play ball.....
macliam is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:59 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
Shanorme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property Negotiation

All quite complex. Looking at a place this weekend so wish me luck.... hopefully no 'illegal pools' or 'illegal structures' or low doorways for my tall husband to bang his head on...
Shanorme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th 2017, 8:33 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2017
Location: Algarve
Posts: 349
Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Property Negotiation

Some sellers think the sky is the limit and ask ridiculous prices. We now saw a house that was for a long time on the market. We are the first that are interested to buy. We offered EUR 3000 under the asking price. Refused.
We now offered the asking price: the owner want to have a higher price and does not want to sell for the price announced.

A bit frustrating!

We look at prices for 1,5 year on a daily basis. Most of those prices go up every 2/3 months and a lot of them stay on the market and don't sell.

Prices in the Algarve compared with the spanish costa's are really high. Reason is maybe that Spain has no RNH ....... ????
Pilou is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:56 am
  #12  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 2,151
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Negotiation

Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
Some sellers think the sky is the limit and ask ridiculous prices. We now saw a house that was for a long time on the market. We are the first that are interested to buy. We offered EUR 3000 under the asking price. Refused.
We now offered the asking price: the owner want to have a higher price and does not want to sell for the price announced.

A bit frustrating!

We look at prices for 1,5 year on a daily basis. Most of those prices go up every 2/3 months and a lot of them stay on the market and don't sell.

Prices in the Algarve compared with the spanish costa's are really high. Reason is maybe that Spain has no RNH ....... ????
Property prices rices have always been higher in Portugal than in Spain for the almost 30 years I have known it. I spent the Christmas/New Year 1989 near Malaga and saw villas being built in the hills - then I went to Portugal for the first time the next year and found the same price being asked for a 2-bedroom flat in the Algarve. I though that was just due to location, but then found that prices were high elsewhere too, not just for tourists but for everyone.
macliam is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st 2017, 11:17 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 44
ant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond reputeant68 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Negotiation

Originally Posted by Shanorme View Post
Looking at a few areas in East Algarve. Rural, happy with a dirt track, preferably no neighbours.

Looking at that area there should be some good negotiating - I have a friend who is negotiating at the moment on a property and the offer is substantially below the asking price, but the agent has given some guidance - we are talking 30%
ant68 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st 2017, 11:59 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
Shanorme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property Negotiation

Wow, that is certainly more room than I expected.
Shanorme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st 2017, 5:35 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
liveaboard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,826
liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Negotiation

The house next door to me has just sold after being on the market for 8 years. The seller refused to drop a single euro.

He didn't increase the price either though...

Anyway, everyone seems happy with the deal, new neighbors are actually intending to live in the house, bucking the trend of empty second homes around here.
And they speak English.
Yippee!
liveaboard is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement