Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Proof of income to buy?

Proof of income to buy?

Old Aug 19th 2013, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

James3D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of income to buy?

Hello I am looking to buy a place in Portugal.
I am a cash buyer and should have some savings left over when bought.
I am self employed contractually. I don't have work at the moment and I was planning to take some time off to do a resoration of a house in Portugal.

Can anyone tell me with new laws etc, will I run into problems when I go to get a fiscal number and bank account? I plan to stay in the UK most of the year for work so won't be a tax resident. I beleive I have to prove my income now when buying a house in Portugal?

Anyone? Thanks,
James.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

isdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really nice
Default Re: Proof of income to buy?

subscribing to topic, as we would have an issue if this was the case.

Being a cash buyer....
Old Aug 19th 2013, 10:31 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that this only applies if you take up residence in Portugal.
You mention restoring a property, the amount and type of work you can do yourself is also controlled by law.
You will find that much of the work such as anything electrical needs to be done or at least signed off by a registered electrician.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Isdoo you are in same position?
EMR thanks,
I was looking to buy a property in April last year, when I went to set up a bank account, my passport was old and they requested proof of income etc.
I think it was because the passport photo did not look like me, passport photos never do! I dont look like a suspicious person and was well dressed with expensive shoes on at the time, perhaps this was why they
were suspicious? lol.

Thanks for tip about restoration, I get it mixed up with renovation. I want to concentrate on interior of an already sound structure, which again is difficult as I beleive survey in Portugal don't come with garuntees? lol. Its all fun.

Last edited by James3D; Aug 19th 2013 at 10:52 am.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

isdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really nice

Probably not until next year

We are going to spend 6 months in the area first, whilst we look for a property / decide if we can cope with living abroad.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 11:14 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

There are new rules regarding money laundering which is why they may have wanted additional information from you.
You can basically do anything you like to the inside of a property without needing to apply for permission.
If you are knocking walls down etc in an old building get an expert in before you start.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

My info is out of date but 5 years ago I needed proof of income to open a bank account in CGD
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

OK that is interesting, thanks for information. I will try to get more contracts. I also have a CELTA so perhaps if I get some work in Lisboa teaching and show them my online earnings that may be ok?
Old Aug 19th 2013, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough

Last week I went into Montepio's London branch to open an account in Lagos, it remains to be seen if they will obtain a fiscal number for me, one lady said they could & would - the other lady was doubtful so we shall see.

When she asked about income I said none because I have retired early & haven't started drawing on a personal pension yet. She then asked me for a "retirement certificate" & I said there's no such thing in UK. After some thought she just entered "retired".

So maybe no income or no fiscal number will defeat my efforts
Old Aug 19th 2013, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

To get a fiscal number is simple, go to the Finanças with up to date ID and ask for one, it is that simple.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steppitoe
To get a fiscal number is simple, go to the Finanças with up to date ID and ask for one, it is that simple.
Not so easy if in the UK as daisyman1951 is
Old Aug 19th 2013, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I opened an account at BPI; I wasn't asked for proof of income, only ID.
It's a cash account, I have no overdraft possibility.
It was 5 or 6 years ago.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Well, I went to get one in April in person.
First the place where I get my number, they didnt just want my passport they wanted my birth certificate which I did not have, so I had to order one.
Then the bank, wanted me to give details on income and the fiscal number which I could not get due to the above.
The people who were helping me to do this, said the laws had recently changed etc.

I will be going to Portugal again and get my income of now, ie last contract etc. Try again, perhaps I will have to get some part time esl job to be safe.
I can see the government don't want people who will be a burden,
but many people now have contractual work etc.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

daisyman1951 will become famous soon enough

Update to earlier post. Account now opened in Lagos & it took 3& half working days No fiscal number & no income declared. Ladies in London branch will be on a roll now if anyone else asks!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Can you buy a house without an fiscal number?
I was going to ask an estate agent to get some houses for viewings in the autumn, I dont want to waste their time or mine if I suddenly am denied a fiscal number etc as I am having an income gap at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.