Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Problems for early retirees?

Problems for early retirees?

Old Nov 9th 2017, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems for early retirees?

Not being of pension age, and not working in Portugal, we did not need an S1 and did not have to deal with Social Security prior to registering at our local health centre. Just went along with the things mentioned previously. No SNS nor SS numbers required of us.
That's good news.
So I will only need to get the "Utente" number at the health centre?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricko
That's good news.
So I will only need to get the "Utente" number at the health centre?
Just checked my documents. My SNS and "utente"numbers are the same. There is only one ID number for health care.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Before my wife could get cancer treatment in Porto she had to get an SNS number. My wife is 58.
We had to go back home and get proof of address then headed off to find the parish office called "Junta de Freguesia". Every parish has its own office.

They will type out a testament called "Atestado" proving that you live in that parish.

That document must be handed in at "Centro de Saude" and they will give you a document with your SNS number and the name of your family doctor. This is the doctor you will use and he can refer you to another. Don't know how dentists work though.

Last edited by Ukkram; Nov 9th 2017 at 11:21 am.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Naaling
Just checked my documents. My SNS and "utente"numbers are the same. There is only one ID number for health care.
I tend to agree with Naaling. In fact my health document from the health centre (which I have also used successfully at the hospital) has only my User identification number (numero de identificação de utente) so I guess my SNS/health service number is one and the same. Probably those of pension age have it issued first by Social Security as their pension-paying country has to be charged for health services used.

Usually you will go to the health centre to register with your residence certificate rather than an Atestado. You will have already obtained an Atestado from your junta de freguesia/parish council and used that to obtain your residence certificate from your Camarâ Muncipal/muncipal council. This proves your address and residence status to the health centre. As I say, we also took our UK passports and our PT fiscal numbers, and all was fine and carried out in accordance with the guidance issued to health centres by SNS. We have used our health centre and hospital Urgençias without problems or surprises.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Curious - as I commented earlier my numbers are different : 11 digits from the ISS approving my admission to the Social Security services and only nine digits as an "Utente" registered at the Health Centre and the one that works on the SS site for booking appointments etc.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Curious - as I commented earlier my numbers are different : 11 digits from the ISS approving my admission to the Social Security services and only nine digits as an "Utente" registered at the Health Centre and the one that works on the SS site for booking appointments etc.
I also have an 11 digit Social Security number, which is completely different to the 9 digit SNS number.
Could your situation have arisen when Social Security changed from 9 digit to 11 digit IDs a year or two ago?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

I also have an 11 digit Social Security number, which is completely different to the 9 digit SNS number.
Could your situation have arisen when Social Security changed from 9 digit to 11 digit IDs a year or two ago?
Could well be although I went to the Health Centre to register with an 11 digit Social Security number and came away with a 9 digit SNS number ..

Last edited by Loafing Along; Nov 9th 2017 at 5:12 pm. Reason: Correct text
Old Nov 9th 2017, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Strange how everybody has a different story about registering for healthcare.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

This is Portugal Peter, it's how it is.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

We registered initially in the East Algarve and now we've moved, had no problems at all. Just went to the local Centro de Saude, showed our utente cards and that was it. Sorted.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 6:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterfc
Strange how everybody has a different story about registering for healthcare.

It is the same in Spain. I have lost count of how many times that I have put "it depends on the area" within an answer to questions.

Rosemary
Old Nov 14th 2017, 8:00 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
If one is neither working / self employed nor on a pension from another member state, a Social Security number is (or should be) redundant but if you have one it will be different from your health service number.