Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Private Medical Insurance

Private Medical Insurance

Old Jan 23rd 2023, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

goins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to all
Default Re: Private Medical Insurance

Thanks, Wallya will take a look at this for sure.Much appreciated, you have a link to their website. BTW I am in Covilha

Last edited by goins; Jan 23rd 2023 at 12:39 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

goins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to all

I am looking for Health Insurance to present to the SEF I need to switch from travel insurance. My appointment is March /20/2023
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

I talked to my bank and was given the info to contact them they do health insurance.

I am leaving on the 25 Feb and yes I got my Portuguese address sorted with the bank from their bank in Toronto, My Appointment is March 25/2023 I will be arriving in Portugal on the 26/03/2023. I would love to clear all this up and get my health insurance for the SEF appointment on 03/25/2023

Last edited by goins; Jan 23rd 2023 at 12:50 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2023, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goins
This site asking for money and don't see the health INs I need

Depends what you are wanting, what for and your age.
If you are looking for something to merely cover your application for residency visa then no this is prob. not what you want or need.
As a resident you are entitled to (almost free) healthcare with the national Health Service (SNS).
Over the age of 70, for example with Multicare etc, you get no hospital surgery covered but like a discount card for seeing private doctors/scans tests,, but its cheap and avoids waiting to see a SNS GP.....for example I have a SNS family doctor, but can hardly ever get an appointment in under a month...you pay for medication, albeit usually a small amount (medication dependant).
Dunno what happens if you are over 70, not registered with SNS and need an operation?? Presume you get transferred to the SNS and wait?
Maybe someone can shed light on that.....
MEDAL/ALLIANZ on the other hand is a proper Health Insurance Policy that will cover all operations costs over the age of 70, but of course the premium is much higher.
But I believe there is an age cut off point after which they will not accept you. but will continue to insure you after that age if already in their system.

Old Jan 24th 2023, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have tried to get medical insurance but told by three brokers that it is not available to non-residents (i.e me) (Personal reasons for wanting more than GHIC thanks)

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

Does having the D7 visa allow you to apply for medical insurance before full residence achieved?
Old Jan 24th 2023, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by appman999
I have tried to get medical insurance but told by three brokers that it is not available to non-residents (i.e me) (Personal reasons for wanting more than GHIC thanks)

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

Does having the D7 visa allow you to apply for medical insurance before full residence achieved?
When I was resident first time round, in 2005- 2010 I had full Health Insurance with Allianz PT.
I left Portugal in 2009, and my 5 year PT residency lapsed. However I continued to pay for the Health Insurance from PT bank in the following years, as I visited Portugal for months at a time, but not as a resident. I changed the address on the Policy to give my UK address and nothing was said. Come 2016 I was still paying for the Insurance, but following Brexit, was aware that certain Financial/contractual situations between individuals and EU companies might change. So I contacted the agent (Medal), to ask their advice. Their reply, came from AllianzPT, was that a non resident cannot have a Health Policy with them, its was buried away in the small print. my policy was then cancelled. I tried to get compensation for the years I had paid as a non resident (with a noted change of address), as I assume that had I made a claim it would not have been honoured......so I would say be very careful.
As a consequence of stopping the policy with AllianzPT, in 2016, I had then gone over their max acceptance age for new policies (it would have been OK had I continued with the policy)
So now I am left with SNS only, as IMO, the discount systems (Multicare/Medis etc for over 70s) are hardly worth it. But would depend on local SNS ease of use.
Old Aug 4th 2023, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wellinever
join AFPOP (expats group) ..............https://www.afpop.com/en/page?benefits=health-insurance
Then go online to `Medal` Portimao, and invest in the group Health insurance policy with Allianz, about as good as you will get
Does this medical insurance cover existing problems? I'm trying to get private healthcare but not sure which one to go for. Afpop as a joint fee of 100e per year, but it could be worth it in the long run.
Old Aug 4th 2023, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bons
Does this medical insurance cover existing problems? I'm trying to get private healthcare but not sure which one to go for. Afpop as a joint fee of 100e per year, but it could be worth it in the long run.
Medal also do health insurance through MGEN who do cover existing conditions (but only after 12 months) and cover over 70's as well.

Other agents also do MGEN and you could get a comparison from https://gedinsurance.com/
Old Aug 4th 2023, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by appman999
Medal also do health insurance through MGEN who do cover existing conditions (but only after 12 months) and cover over 70's as well.

Other agents also do MGEN and you could get a comparison from https://gedinsurance.com/
Thanks, looking into it all.
Old Aug 5th 2023, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

pre-existing conditions are not covered.