Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

private health insurance again

private health insurance again

Old Nov 22nd 2023, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default private health insurance again

We've had private insurance though Medal for 15 years, and it's been ok.

Now Allianz has increased the rates by 60% for sharply reduced cover; it seems to me that they really want to encourage us all to drop out.
Our AFPOP group plan probably has a preponderance of old people who make a lot of claims.

While we wait for Medal insurance brokers to pull a rabbit out of a hat, has anyone got another idea?
I know some people have group plans through their bank. I'd like to hear about the costs and coverage.

I looked on my bank's website, they have large pictures of grinning smug people in lab coats but little real information; and I do not want to talk to sales people on the phone.
Old Nov 22nd 2023, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: private health insurance again

Have a look at MGEN on their website. Having had a telephone conversation with them, I am awaiting a quotation for the coming year.
Old Nov 25th 2023, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

That website is interesting; according to their simulation, they're 30% cheaper than the Alianz with this year's wild price increase.
My takeaway is that Alianz wants to shed this business by getting us all to drop our policies.

I had an email from Medal, they promise to get us a new offer (or multiple offers) by the end of this month.
So I guess I'll let them do the research and see what they come up with.
There are a lot of customers in the AFPOP group plan, I don't know how many but hopefully enough to lever a good deal from someone.
Old Nov 26th 2023, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

The MGEN plans are not exactly comparable with the Allianz plans. The basic plan only really covers hospitalisation. Consultations are at discounted prices within the network but they are not stated anywhere. At least the plans cover the over 75s.
Old Nov 26th 2023, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone recently switched out of the Allianz deal and , if so, what provider have they chosen ?
Old Nov 30th 2023, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

Medal sent us the 2024 health renewal details. About £3800 for 2 people with the Allianz. The MGEN policy was even more expensive and these are just the standard policies. I think my blood pressure has just gone up. 😤
Old Nov 30th 2023, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

The days of reasonably-priced health insurance for old folk are now over. I think we will have to rely on the SNS and savings from now on.
Old Dec 1st 2023, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liveaboard
That website is interesting; according to their simulation, they're 30% cheaper than the Alianz with this year's wild price increase.
My takeaway is that Alianz wants to shed this business by getting us all to drop our policies.

I had an email from Medal, they promise to get us a new offer (or multiple offers) by the end of this month.
So I guess I'll let them do the research and see what they come up with.
There are a lot of customers in the AFPOP group plan, I don't know how many but hopefully enough to lever a good deal from someone.
Did you get a quote?
Old Dec 1st 2023, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NataHH
Medal sent us the 2024 health renewal details. About £3800 for 2 people with the Allianz. The MGEN policy was even more expensive and these are just the standard policies. I think my blood pressure has just gone up. 😤
I know that premiums on health insurance have increased a lot for next year but €3,800 seems expensive for two people.

We are with Adeslas and our new premium for 2024 is €202 per month for two people. This includes everything (apart from dentistry) and we opted for a lot of extras that we wanted to be included. Our excess is €4.00 per appointment.

This is a Spanish policy but I certainly wouldn't switch to a Portuguese provider because it seems more expensive and we are nearer to Ayamonte than Tavira anyway.

Old Dec 1st 2023, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lou71
I know that premiums on health insurance have increased a lot for next year but €3,800 seems expensive for two people.

We are with Adeslas and our new premium for 2024 is €202 per month for two people. This includes everything (apart from dentistry) and we opted for a lot of extras that we wanted to be included. Our excess is €4.00 per appointment.

This is a Spanish policy but I certainly wouldn't switch to a Portuguese provider because it seems more expensive and we are nearer to Ayamonte than Tavira anyway.
Does a Spanish policy cover Portugal? Well clearly it does, but how?
Old Dec 1st 2023, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
Does a Spanish policy cover Portugal? Well clearly it does, but how?
Our policy covers things like emergencies and hospitalisation in Portugal (and other countries) but we are right on the border so nearer to clinics in Ayamonte in Spain than most of the Portuguese clinics!

We split our time between Spain and Portugal so it makes sense to stick with what we've got. We are certainly not looking to spend even more money on health insurance!

I thought it might be a useful price comparison.

Old Dec 1st 2023, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Our policy covers things like emergencies and hospitalisation in Portugal (and other countries) but we are right on the border so nearer to clinics in Ayamonte in Spain than most of the Portuguese clinics!

We split our time between Spain and Portugal so it makes sense to stick with what we've got. We are certainly not looking to spend even more money on health insurance!

I thought it might be a useful price comparison.
We live closer to Ayamonte then Tavira, but I don't think that would work for us. I'm trying to get private health but it seems tricky with so many options and variables. We lived in Tavira and went to the Health Centre there, when we moved here they looked at our Utente number and told us we couldn't register as there wren't enough doctors and even Portuguese people couldn't register. We tried Altura, Caselas Vila real, Castro Marim, all the same. We're on a very long waiting list in Vila Real. We can use the Urgenices in Vila Real if it's an emergency, but we can barely make an appointment in Tavira, the other option is to turn up for 3pm and take a ticket, 16 available.
Old Dec 1st 2023, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

We live closer to Ayamonte then Tavira, but I don't think that would work for us. I'm trying to get private health but it seems tricky with so many options and variables. We lived in Tavira and went to the Health Centre there, when we moved here they looked at our Utente number and told us we couldn't register as there wren't enough doctors and even Portuguese people couldn't register. We tried Altura, Caselas Vila real, Castro Marim, all the same. We're on a very long waiting list in Vila Real. We can use the Urgenices in Vila Real if it's an emergency, but we can barely make an appointment in Tavira, the other option is to turn up for 3pm and take a ticket, 16 available.
So you did end up in the Eastern Algarve!

I knew there was a chronic shortage of doctors in Portugal but that is even worse than I thought.

We are registered with the state run health centre in Castro Marim but I'm never going to set foot in there again unless I absolutely have to and we would gladly give up our respective places there. We had a very bad experience during the vaccine rollout with one particular doctor there who got very rude and abusive when he realised our Portuguese was limited and Spanish offended him too - I think he hated the world. I suggested that nobody was holding a gun to his head and forcing him to speak English, it was his choice and he had the option to refuse to use it in his job. I expressed my sympathy with the very nice reception and nursing staff for having to work with the most odious creature I have ever encountered in Iberia over many years. I really would avoid that place at all costs.

I would keep shopping around. Without a Spanish address it might be tricky to set up a policy but I would go into Ayamonte and check with a broker. It could work.

EDIT There are plenty of health clinics in Lepe too. We usually have our checks in Vithas clinics.

Last edited by Lou71; Dec 1st 2023 at 2:52 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2023, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

So you did end up in the Eastern Algarve!

I knew there was a chronic shortage of doctors in Portugal but that is even worse than I thought.

We are registered with the state run health centre in Castro Marim but I'm never going to set foot in there again unless I absolutely have to and we would gladly give up our respective places there. We had a very bad experience during the vaccine rollout with one particular doctor there who got very rude and abusive when he realised our Portuguese was limited and Spanish offended him too - I think he hated the world. I suggested that nobody was holding a gun to his head and forcing him to speak English, it was his choice and he had the option to refuse to use it in his job. I expressed my sympathy with the very nice reception and nursing staff for having to work with the most odious creature I have ever encountered in Iberia over many years. I really would avoid that place at all costs.

I would keep shopping around. Without a Spanish address it might be tricky to set up a policy but I would go into Ayamonte and check with a broker. It could work.

EDIT There are plenty of health clinics in Lepe too. We usually have our checks in Vithas clinics.
We did! We never got as far as the doctor, the rude receptionist made sure of that!
Old Dec 1st 2023, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

We did! We never got as far as the doctor, the rude receptionist made sure of that!
UK trained?? 😠

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.