Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Prescription glasses in PT.

Prescription glasses in PT.

Old Jun 16th 2018, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Prescription glasses in PT.

My wife needs new specs as she cannot even see the TV. These are painfully expensive here compared to the UK and even Spain. My thoughts are to get her eyes tested here and send the prescription to my daughter in the UK and she can get it cheaper there.

Problem is I cannot find an optician that offers testing and prescription only. They all offer free testing and then you have to buy their very expensive glasses. Any ideas?

I must add that this may be treating a symptom and not the cause. It may be high blood sugar levels but where to have it tested?
Our Bombeiros has a enfermagem office (nursing) but not sure if they can do the test. Any ideas on this?
Old Jun 16th 2018, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescription glasses in PT.

I've had my eyes tested for a fee without buying glasses [in Lagos]. just tell them that's what you want and see what they say.
The optician normally tests a bunch of different things to ascertain that the patient doesn't need other medical care for the eyes, but whether that includes what you're worried about I don't know. Better see your GP for that to be sure.

I buy glasses online from the UK; usually 4 pairs at a time. I'm a master of chaos, and 4 pairs makes it only 25% as hard to find one of them. also makes for interchangeable parts.
Some firms will ship here, I can find out which one if you want.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

My husband went into our local Opticians and they tested and gave prescription for a fee. We use https://www.selectspecs.com/ and are pleased with service and quality.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

SaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really nice

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I've had my eyes tested for a fee without buying glasses [in Lagos]. just tell them that's what you want and see what they say.
The optician normally tests a bunch of different things to ascertain that the patient doesn't need other medical care for the eyes, but whether that includes what you're worried about I don't know. Better see your GP for that to be sure.

I buy glasses online from the UK; usually 4 pairs at a time. I'm a master of chaos, and 4 pairs makes it only 25% as hard to find one of them. also makes for interchangeable parts.
Would you mind telling me where in Lagos you go. Thanks
Old Jun 17th 2018, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.snnoptico.com/
Old Jun 17th 2018, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
My wife needs new specs as she cannot even see the TV. These are painfully expensive here compared to the UK and even Spain. My thoughts are to get her eyes tested here and send the prescription to my daughter in the UK and she can get it cheaper there.

Problem is I cannot find an optician that offers testing and prescription only. They all offer free testing and then you have to buy their very expensive glasses. Any ideas?

I must add that this may be treating a symptom and not the cause. It may be high blood sugar levels but where to have it tested?
Our Bombeiros has a enfermagem office (nursing) but not sure if they can do the test. Any ideas on this?
Get your eyes tested and get your prescription and go online to Glassesdirect normally twp pair for £19.99.

It will cost nothing to go on there site and look at what they have.

Peter
Old Jun 17th 2018, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

SaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really nice

Originally Posted by liveaboard

That's ok for straight forward prescriptions but mine is rather complicated with both eyes very different in distance, mid and near sight. My lenses need to be ultra thin otherwise they are like bottle bottoms. Unusually my lenses alone ( even at Specsavers) are £155. Nice frames on top and you are looking at a lot of money. And I can't get my lenses online as they have to measure various points on the lens in order to get the location of the variable prescriptions correct. We are off to France soon and will be in Paris for a couple of weeks. I wonder if it's chesper there than here in Portugal.

Anybody know?
Old Jun 17th 2018, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies. SelectSpecs seem the way to go. Been researching prices and they are waaay the cheapest.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

SaffyRose, I have similar problems and astigmatism and order ultra thin on line for £55 frames and lenses from SelectSpecs. Great Customer Service also. I got my first pair from SN&N Lagos, VERY expensive but they (hesitantly) gave me my prescription so I could buy more on line.

Last edited by Sunseeker1st; Jun 18th 2018 at 7:47 am. Reason: To add info.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st
SaffyRose, I have similar problems and astigmatism and order ultra thin on line for £55 frames and lenses from SelectSpecs. Great Customer Service also.
Not sure this would work for me as when I have them made in the past they mark with soft crayon lots of different points on the clear lens in the frames ive chosen. I think these show where my pupil is and where the different prescriotions bits need to be. I have varifoclas so there is a graduated change from the short sighted bit at the top to the reading bit at the bottom.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaffyRosie
Not sure this would work for me as when I have them made in the past they mark with soft crayon lots of different points on the clear lens in the frames ive chosen. I think these show where my pupil is and where the different prescriotions bits need to be. I have varifoclas so there is a graduated change from the short sighted bit at the top to the reading bit at the bottom.
Having spent years in the past as a Manufacturing Optician , I can assure that :- A single vision script could be worth buying on line , whereas a Bifocal / Varifocal script has a + 90% chance off being a disaster if supplied on line
1-2 millimetres out on the PD (Pupillary Distance) + exactly the same for height off the commencement of the Bi / Varifocal & you have wasted your money !
Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ingles
Having spent years in the past as a Manufacturing Optician , I can assure that :- A single vision script could be worth buying on line , whereas a Bifocal / Varifocal script has a + 90% chance off being a disaster if supplied on line
1-2 millimetres out on the PD (Pupillary Distance) + exactly the same for height off the commencement of the Bi / Varifocal & you have wasted your money !
Thank you, that has confirmed what I thought.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

We went to 2 opticians and both said they cannot give prescriptions. When I asked one how they get the readings for the prescription glasses he looked sheepish and said that they have the equipment but they are a franchise and their billing system does not have fees for prescriptions as it is free if you buy the glasses from them.

So off we went to a private opthamologist. He diagnosed a cataract and wrote a letter for her to hand in at the private hospital. I immediately saw $ signs in my minds eye. He then said that he thought we had private medical but we can go to the gov hospital to have it done and we could have saved €60 for his appointment by going to the opthamologist there.

Just thought I would post this for those that rely on PT SS and do not have private medical.