Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Post-Brexit Card - still apply for permanent residency?

Post-Brexit Card - still apply for permanent residency?

Old May 11th 2021, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

sam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the rough
Default Post-Brexit Card - still apply for permanent residency?

Hi - I’m a little confused (apologies if this has already been asked) and wondered if someone could advise me.

I’ve finally applied for the new post-Brexit card (https://brexit.sef.pt/en/) - hurray! My question is - is this card effectively a new residency visa or is it purely a "legal status" card?

I ask because my current “EU Citizen Registration Certificate” (issued by my local town hall 4+ years ago) expires early next year, so without Brexit, I would be about to apply for “Permanent EU Citizen Residence Certificate”. Do I still need to apply for “permanent residency” (if so, do you know which form i need to fill in?), or is this new card effective a residency visa?

Thanks in advance

Sam
Old May 11th 2021, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post-Brexit Card - still apply for permanent residency?

Originally Posted by sam349
Hi - I’m a little confused (apologies if this has already been asked) and wondered if someone could advise me.

I’ve finally applied for the new post-Brexit card (https://brexit.sef.pt/en/) - hurray! My question is - is this card effectively a new residency visa or is it purely a "legal status" card?

I ask because my current “EU Citizen Registration Certificate” (issued by my local town hall 4+ years ago) expires early next year, so without Brexit, I would be about to apply for “Permanent EU Citizen Residence Certificate”. Do I still need to apply for “permanent residency” (if so, do you know which form i need to fill in?), or is this new card effective a residency visa?

Thanks in advance

Sam
Had the same dilemma , my certificate expired in April . I made an appointment last November with SEF and was given a date in April. Then applied for the "New" post-Brexit confirmation of residency certificate from the SEF site. A few days after I received an email from SEF cancelling my residency renewal appointment advising me I would be contacted for biometric data etc. Since then nothing and from other posts on this site I think many people are in the same situation.
One bright spot on a new website : acm.gov.pt they have just published the following notification :
On 30 April Order No. 4473-A/2021 was published in Diário da República (Official Portuguese Republic Journal) which establishes the expansion of the scope of Orders Nos. 3863-B/2020, of 27 March, and 10944/2020, of 8 November, as of 30 April 2021. This legal diploma determines that all foreign citizens with applications pending before the Foreigners and Borders Service (SEF), whose request was submitted between 18 March 2020 and 30 April 2021, have their residence situation temporarily regulated and have access to certain rights and support, including health, social support, employment and housing.

Access the Order No. 4473-A/2021 of 30 April.

So just sit back and wait, and wait, and wait...

Old May 11th 2021, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

and meanwhile - in case you haven't noticed in the PT news, SEF is being totally reorganised and may even be mostly disolved and reshuffled into other departments and some their present duties be farmed out to these other departments, and SEF staff are taking industrial action (strikes) against all of this. So we wait, and wait, and wait.
Old May 11th 2021, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Once you've registered for the new biometric card, make sure you keep the OR number. That number is unique to you and your registration.

Our 10 year residençia runs out in a couple of weeks and we've been advised to take that with us, when we travel, in case we get stopped by the police. This proves that you have registered.

It will take some time for the new organisation to sort itself out. We just need to wait. They will contact us when they're ready.

And you have until the end of next year, as long as you're registered and legal, so no worries.
Old May 12th 2021, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam349

Thanks in advance

Sam
It's all explained in https://brexit.sef.pt/en/faqs/
​​​​​​​
Old May 12th 2021, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

sam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all the replies. I'll sit pretty and see what happens over the coming months!