Portuguese Will

Old Oct 19th 2018, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese Wiil

Originally Posted by Diddion
If you are UK domiciled (as you probably will be, even though a non-UK resident) please be clear that UK IHT is calculated on the value of your worldwide assets, irrespective of where they are held. This is an entirely separate issue from the issue if Wills.
Oh boy! This had me barking up the wrong tree when trying to do my tax planning for a UK departure. I read this as being that I cannot ever shake off my UK domicile for IHT purposes even after leaving, post 6th April 2017. When talking to my PT advisors earlier this week I was told that I can lose my UK domicile for IHT purposes after three years of not being tax resident and I baulked at the advice but it is seemingly backed-up here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/inherita...-rules#ddrules

but with the proviso of:

From 6 April 2017 you’re UK domiciled if you’re resident in the UK for 15 of the 20 years before the relevant year.

Please correct me if I am wrong as is my advisor.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese Will

I stand by what I said, and I did not intend to imply that it is impossible to shed UK domicile. So, yes, with apologies for perhaps creating anxiety, let me give my reading of the rules. Whilst there are inevitably tweaks and wrinkles, but the only way for someone (whose domicile of origin was in the UK) to lose their UK Domicile is via the explicit and clearly stated15/20 year rule......ie a very long time. In my view, timescales such as that cannot be relied upon where tax planning is concerned.

I believe you may be suggesting that there are two different rules for the same situation, or have I misread this? How can it be that you would be a non domiciled person after both three years and also 15 years? No, I think you will find that the three year rule refers to uk returners, not UK leavers. In other words, after you have become non domiciled by the 15/20 year rule, should you return to the UK you will be deemed domiciled in the UK after a short grace period. That is the three years you mentioned.

i am most certainly not an IHT expert, but I do think your advisers have got it dramatically wrong.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddion
... the only way for someone (whose domicile of origin was in the UK) to lose their UK Domicile is via the explicit and clearly stated 15/20 year rule......ie a very long time. ...
If you emigrate and stay emigrated, isn't that 5 years (give or take) before you lose UK domicile rather than 15 years?
Old Oct 20th 2018, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
If you emigrate and stay emigrated, isn't that 5 years (give or take) before you lose UK domicile rather than 15 years?
This from taxation.co.uk

Tax implications of new domicile rules - 13 June 2018

Leaving the UK

The following points should be noted so far as inheritance tax is concerned.
  • A UK domiciled individual remains in the UK inheritance tax net regardless of the length of their absence.
  • An individual who acquires a domicile of choice abroad remains in the UK inheritance tax net for the following three years.
  • A non-domiciled individual who has never been deemed domiciled remains outside the scope of inheritance tax except for assets in the UK.
  • A formerly domiciled resident is no longer deemed domiciled in the first full tax year they are no longer resident in the UK. However, a long-term UK resident and deemed domiciled individual remains in the UK inheritance tax net until they have no longer been UK resident in at least 15 of the previous 20 tax years including at least one of the four tax years ending in the year of assessment.
Consequently, liability to inheritance tax can extend for a number of years after an individual has left the UK.

Deemed domiciled was defined in an earlier post above (#16). I'm a bit confused as to the difference between the practicalities of bullet point 2 and 4 above.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 20th 2018 at 1:10 pm. Reason: deleted 5 year comment - inappropriate
Old Oct 20th 2018, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
I would agree . It seems to be that if you emigrate and register in another country as a resident ie pay tax there .You are deemed to be domiciled there . The 15 yr rule comes in for eligibility to vote in the UK. ie you can't after that date.
Old Oct 21st 2018, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by GeniB
I would agree . It seems to be that if you emigrate and register in another country as a resident ie pay tax there .You are deemed to be domiciled there . The 15 yr rule comes in for eligibility to vote in the UK. ie you can't after that date.
This IMHO spells it out pretty well in non-legalese. It's more of a journey, which includes attention to wills and burials and it's three or five plus severing/removing all potential evidence of intention to return:

https://www.oldmutualinternational.c...d_uk_taxes.pdf