Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portuguese Subtitles on Portuguese free to air TV - How to get ?

Portuguese Subtitles on Portuguese free to air TV - How to get ?

Old Sep 1st 2021, 7:54 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Portuguese Subtitles on Portuguese free to air TV - How to get ?

Has anyone had this problem - and then resolved it ?

I have just had an aerial installed and connected to my ( three year old Samsung ) tv.

The main aim of this was to be able to watch some Portuguese language programmes ( news / Visita Guiada and so on ) with the Portuguese subtitles for HoH. With subtitles I can follow, but without have considerable difficulty.

Anyway, the local Freeview equivalent channels are available - excellent picture and sound. HOWever, when I press the subtitles / teletext button on the remote the message ' this service not available ' appears.

I have switched on the subtitles availability in the Settings, set the preferred language to Portuguese , and so on. But nothing works.

I notice that subtitles on Portuguese tv seem to be still available via a teletext feed which you then have to press the keys indicated on the top left of the screen ( usually 8 8 something, not always 8 8 8 as it was in UK ).

In the UK there is no longer reliance on teletext for subtitles for HoH - they just seem to be broadcast within the signal for the programme, and then the viewer can decide on her / his tv whether or not to access the subtitles part of the signal.

So the mechanism for getting subtitles seems to be different here.

Has anyone resolved this ?

I have also tried watching Portuguese tv via internet - the RTP play app. Again, the pictures and sound are ok ( though not as stable as with the terrestrial signal ). But it is simply not possible to access the 'CC' feed. At the bottom of the screen the letters 'CC' are there on the rhs.......But you cannot get the cursor to move over to the right to click on the CC.

Old Sep 1st 2021, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice
Default Re: Portuguese Subtitles on Portuguese free to air TV - How to get ?

Just curious, why would one need Portugese subtitles on Portugese language shows? If it's for hearing impairment, earphones or headphones would be a better option. IMHO
Old Sep 1st 2021, 12:58 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
I have also tried watching Portuguese tv via internet - the RTP play app. Again, the pictures and sound are ok ( though not as stable as with the terrestrial signal ). But it is simply not possible to access the 'CC' feed. At the bottom of the screen the letters 'CC' are there on the rhs.......But you cannot get the cursor to move over to the right to click on the CC.
What's your setup when doing this - is it a separate device?

I have a laptop I use with a HDMI cable to connect to TV and the CC options work just fine whether it's going through the TV or not.

Originally Posted by zoff
Just curious, why would one need Portugese subtitles on Portugese language shows? If it's for hearing impairment, earphones or headphones would be a better option. IMHO
If you can't keep up with the spoken dialogue or it's indistinct, subtitles are a big help (provided they stay on the screen long enough for reading to the end )
Old Sep 2nd 2021, 7:44 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

It's a modern, ( at most, three yrs old ) Samsung TV. Now receiving local freeview channels via a rooftop aerial. Picture and sound reception are good.

It can also receive, eg, Netflix and Youtube via the internet ( wifi ) connection. And for example on those there is NO problem clicking on the subtitles feed. [ So I can watch English language films, with Portuguese or English subtitles. But that doesn't solve the issue of wishing to watch Portuguese language problems with Portuguese subtitles. ]

When still using the wifi there is an app for RTP Play - various TV channels via the internet - but again, the CC thing is there visible at the bottom RHS of the screen, but it cannot be highlighted or used. It is sort of greyed.

When using the rooftop aerial feed the three ( what I believe to be Teletext ) numbers for obtaining subtitles are visible on the top lefthand side of the screen. But when I click on the subtitles button the error nessage comes up ' na~o disponi'vel ' .

Old Sep 2nd 2021, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
... When using the rooftop aerial feed the three ( what I believe to be Teletext ) numbers for obtaining subtitles are visible on the top lefthand side of the screen. But when I click on the subtitles button the error nessage comes up ' na~o disponi'vel ' .
Can you get subtitles using the teletext page number by selecting teletext and typing in the page number? If they're available that way it seems reasonable to assume that they aren't available the way you're expecting them. Is your TV set up with the appropriate geographic settings?
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 8:47 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

I have tried pressing the Teletext button on the remote - but the message comes up 'Na~o disponi'vel ' without further explanation.

I have obtained telextext subs in Portuguese before in hotels using this method ( where you have to key in 888 or 887 or whatever ). So it's not me. I know how to do it. The hotels in reference had ancient TVs, but which worked the subs ok. My tv is much more modern - has it ditched the teletext thing as redundant ? Like Apple ditching the headphone socket ?

I have looked but cannot find any reference to geographic settings in the Settings menus. I found one related to language and changed it to Portuguese. No effect on subtitles.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
... I have switched on the subtitles availability in the Settings, ...
I'm not familiar with Samsung TVs or their menus but is there a setting to enable teletext (rather than subtitles) and/or HbbTV? On my LG TV there are 3 separate settings for Language, Country, and Service Country Setting. For example, if I choose Portugal for the second two, I get a new HbbTV option (which is unavailable when they're set to UK). That's what I meant in my earlier reply about appropriate geographic settings as the TV is probably clever enough to know what services are available/needed in Portugal. HbbTV may be irrelevant - I'd never heard of it before!
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 3:39 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

I can't find any way through the menus to ' country setting' .

Is this one of those things that requires secret key sequences on the remote ??
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

If it isn't easily changeable later, I would expect it to be part of the initial installation menus that allow you to select relevant options but I'm sure the manual or Google will offer the answer.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if it is "progress".

On our ancient TVs in the UK subtitles work just fine but the one we bought about four years ago in Portugal I could never get them on either.

Country settings are in "First Time Installation" on most TVs.

​​​​​​
Old Sep 7th 2021, 8:05 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

Well I cannot find ' First Time Installation ' going thru all the menus. It is so frustrating as my main reason for getting the aerial installed was I thought it would then be simple to access Portuguese HoH subtitles on Portuguese language programmes. Visita Guiada, for example. Best laid plans.....
Old Sep 7th 2021, 1:14 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

On my Samsung TV, it would be Menu / System / Setup where channels, clock, language and region options are stored either initially or when resetting the unit. There's also a "Country" setting in the "Channel" menu - but I guess yours should already be set correctly or it wouldn't have found the channels

Might just be that your model doesn't handle teletext, though - I notice there are results in Google searches of complaints from UK residents about not being able to get it on new Samsung TVs.