Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portuguese properties

Portuguese properties

Old Oct 1st 2020, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese properties

Euro Values per sq mtr can mean very little, depends whether seller includes internal habitable area, construction area, or includes verandas/terraces. Internal area is about 10% less than construction area.
With no real comparisons to make (ie UK Land registry of actual sale prices) its difficult to know what a property is worth, easier for a flat but detached houses much more difficult. I guess the only way is to look at 2 or 3 that are similar in style, size, condition, land and most important `AGE` and all in an area you would like to live in and choose the cheapest. I say age because specifications of insulation and general construction have improved vastly in the last 5 years. Dont forget to visit the house 10 time s at different days and times just to hear if any barking dogs that might drive you crazy are near by.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 7:37 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
Well out of interest where are you looking and what do you consider high / increasing ?
Very pertinent questions.

I didn't ask for fear of being thought impertinent
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Very pertinent questions.

I didn't ask for fear of being thought impertinent
I don't see why it's releveant to the fact that I think property prices seem to have increased.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
I don't see why it's releveant to the fact that I think property prices seem to have increased.
Because the word "property" has different meanings to different people.
City apartments in areas where there's employment might change value in a completely different pattern than a rural house with land, or a retirement villa in Algarve.
Then there are Yield properties that can be used as tourist rentals, big land for farming etc,
Portuguese published statistics seem to work on M2 of house or apartment, ignoring all else. a farm house with acres is equal to an apartment without a balcony. garden, parking area, access to services, swimming pool, utilities are not included.

So if the question is "property prices", we need to know what sort of property we're talking about, or else we're all on different subjects.

It's raining today!
That's a good thing.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 8:27 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

It's not specifically relevant to what you think, I suppose.

In my opinion, though (and I confess I'm no expert, seeing as I don't keep a hawk eye on house prices / price movements), there isn't "a" property market in Portugal moving as a cohesive mass. In my immediate area, for example, there appear to be substantially more properties for sale than buyers and many of them sit unsold for years. I can't imagine their prices constantly being upped in line with supposed property market moves. I wouldn't have thought my area untypical of many another up and down the country, outside a few hotspots which have become, or are fast becoming, the exclusive domain of the well-to-do. And when I do look at prices, I don't see anything too unexpected in the general price / location / quality ratio, so in that regard, where you're looking and what sort of price band does have some relevance as to potential availability, even if not in terms of whether you think you've seen a rise in prices over the past few months.

However, as I say, I had refrained from asking and I don't expect any poster on here to reveal anything personal, or irrelevant, or that they don't feel completely comfortable talking about.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

It's not specifically relevant to what you think, I suppose.

In my opinion, though (and I confess I'm no expert, seeing as I don't keep a hawk eye on house prices / price movements), there isn't "a" property market in Portugal moving as a cohesive mass. In my immediate area, for example, there appear to be substantially more properties for sale than buyers and many of them sit unsold for years. I can't imagine their prices constantly being upped in line with supposed property market moves. I wouldn't have thought my area untypical of many another up and down the country, outside a few hotspots which have become, or are fast becoming, the exclusive domain of the well-to-do. And when I do look at prices, I don't see anything too unexpected in the general price / location / quality ratio, so in that regard, where you're looking and what sort of price band does have some relevance as to potential availability, even if not in terms of whether you think you've seen a rise in prices over the past few months.

However, as I say, I had refrained from asking and I don't expect any poster on here to reveal anything personal, or irrelevant, or that they don't feel completely comfortable talking about.
Suffice it to say I look at the same properties and now the lowest prices are higher than they were a few months ago. That could be that al the lower priced properties have now sold, who knows?
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Suffice it to say I look at the same properties and now the lowest prices are higher than they were a few months ago. That could be that al the lower priced properties have now sold, who knows?
If you filter by highest price reduction for certain areas, you can see that these properties were overpriced. So there still seems to be properties overpriced.

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 9:47 am
Polished expat

So they're not be the same properties, then?
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking at property specifically in the Tavira area for the longest while because at the back of my mind is a longing to own bricks and mortar in the Algarve. However, to ease that longing I would likely need to sell a UK property and that presents a problem now because I don't think that we can 'make it' to being out the UK for five full tax years in order to avoid CGT on an investment UK property. It doesn't stop me looking though.

For us now the only way in will be with a Passive Income Visa.

BUT even though I'm looking and have watched several properties just sit there on the market for the longest while, there is no way I would want to take the plunge right now and BUY in Portugal as Europe is likely headed for the worst recession in living memory and some areas of Portugal might have their own particular problems due to Brexit and UK citizen movements after the transition period is over.

Indeed, with the stamp duty situation in the UK I would happily SELL right now but rent in Portugal and in due course look to find several motivated sellers to snap up something at the right price.

So unless it's really an issue of assessing overall value between Portugal and maybe OTHER potentials such as Spain, and those areas in Spain which have good access to Portugal, for a comparable lifestyle, which might have to be done pronto for that residency, it is best to wait a while before worrying about property pricing levels. But I would sell that UK property asap.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 2nd 2020 at 11:04 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

So they're not be the same properties, then?
Do one Red Eric I mean the same type of property. You get much less for the price than you used to, the same type of peroperties are much more expensive, on Idealista at least.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I've been looking at property specifically in the Tavira area for the longest while because at the back of my mind is a longing to own bricks and mortar in the Algarve. However, to ease that longing I would likely need to sell a UK property and that presents a problem now because I don't think that we can 'make it' to being out the UK for five full tax years in order to avoid CGT on an investment UK property. It doesn't stop me looking though.

For us now the only way in will be with a Passive Income Visa.

BUT even though I'm looking and have watched several properties just sit there on the market for the longest while, there is no way I would want to take the plunge right now and BUY in Portugal as Europe is likely headed for the worst recession in living memory and some areas of Portugal might have their own particular problems due to Brexit and UK citizen movements after the transition period is over.

Indeed, with the stamp duty situation in the UK I would happily SELL right now but rent in Portugal and in due course look to find several motivated sellers to snap up something at the right price.

So unless it's really an issue of assessing overall value between Portugal and maybe OTHER potentials such as Spain, and those areas in Spain which have good access to Portugal, for a comparable lifestyle, which might have to be done pronto for that residency, it is best to wait a while before worrying about property pricing levels. But I would sell that UK property asap.
You are right and I also believe that prices can only go down from next year. We bought in Spain just after the last recession and while prices have gone up again in recent years, I'm seeing more and more people listing properties again. Portugal will be similar and especially areas where you'll find 2nd homes.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You are right and I also believe that prices can only go down from next year. We bought in Spain just after the last recession and while prices have gone up again in recent years, I'm seeing more and more people listing properties again. Portugal will be similar and especially areas where you'll find 2nd homes.
One thing that I would be tempted to do, once I've found a couple of properties that I would buy but at the right price, would be to offer to take a lease for three years and see if the vendor would consider it.

You never know!

Then IF I really liked the place and the area worked too, I could make an offer to buy later. In this (perceived) coming market that seems to have more potential.

In Tavira I have seen properties actually listed dual - to sell and with a lease offer at a posted rent.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 2nd 2020 at 12:11 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 1:37 pm
Polished expat

Do one Red Eric I mean the same type of property. You get much less for the price than you used to, the same type of peroperties are much more expensive, on Idealista at least.
Well there could be a number of variables in play there, although it would be most undiplomatic of me to list them all.

I have to say it seems most unlikely, given the currently prevailing circumstances, that there's a general upward pressure on prices across the board right now, although there may be pockets where there hasn't been a significant drop in demand. I doubt that in the space of a few rather turbulent months, what is generally a rather sluggish market has been completely transformed, though.

I don't know to what extent the big internet sites reflect the actual situation. There are quite a lot of independent estate agents who might not be so easily found / don't have a presence on the net or don't list all the properties currently on their books. A presencial investigation might prove more fruitful but without anything at all to go on, it's hard to know what you're looking at or suggest much more than that.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well there could be a number of variables in play there, although it would be most undiplomatic of me to list them all.

I have to say it seems most unlikely, given the currently prevailing circumstances, that there's a general upward pressure on prices across the board right now, although there may be pockets where there hasn't been a significant drop in demand. I doubt that in the space of a few rather turbulent months, what is generally a rather sluggish market has been completely transformed, though.

I don't know to what extent the big internet sites reflect the actual situation. There are quite a lot of independent estate agents who might not be so easily found / don't have a presence on the net or don't list all the properties currently on their books. A presencial investigation might prove more fruitful but without anything at all to go on, it's hard to know what you're looking at or suggest much more than that.
I only look longingly at properties from here to cheer me up when I get down, then I get down because I'm not in a postion to look at any in the flesh so to speak. If we ever get there and are renting, we'll be able to look at local agents too. I'm looking forward to that and to actually looking at places.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

I could suggest you stop looking until you get there,as by experience, something that you've set your mind on as the perfect property will quite possibly a total dissapointment when you eventually see it it situ. The times that you arrive at a property that you've loved on a website only to find it's opposite a garage full of wrecked,dismantled vehicles or down an unpaved/muddy lane in the middle of nowhere can be a downer.
I think people are asking your area of preference because some of us might live in that area and can give you information which might help in your search.
Our search progressed so much better when we had decided on our area and then concentrated our search there. We found an estate agent who still visits us for a chat whenever he is on our area and his agency is about 30 mins from where we are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.