Reload this Page >

Portuguese properties

Portuguese properties

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Portuguese properties

Originally Posted by toots sweet
I could suggest you stop looking until you get there,as by experience, something that you've set your mind on as the perfect property will quite possibly a total dissapointment when you eventually see it it situ. The times that you arrive at a property that you've loved on a website only to find it's opposite a garage full of wrecked,dismantled vehicles or down an unpaved/muddy lane in the middle of nowhere can be a downer.
I think people are asking your area of preference because some of us might live in that area and can give you information which might help in your search.
Our search progressed so much better when we had decided on our area and then concentrated our search there. We found an estate agent who still visits us for a chat whenever he is on our area and his agency is about 30 mins from where we are.
I've said many times that we're looking in Central Portugal. We can't afford the Algarve.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

That's a large area, a bit like saying I'm looking in Scotland or the Midlands. All different areas with big price differences.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toots sweet
That's a large area, a bit like saying I'm looking in Scotland or the Midlands. All different areas with big price differences.
I know, but I know the lowest price ranges for each area I'm looking at.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

We paid little attention to area, and concentrated on a list of our wants.
What we wanted was pretty rare at our budget, so what happened was the list got really small really fast.
Ok, we had a general area but it was quite wide [sort of like "central Portugal"]
I think looking at the web is good. You get to know things, terminology, relative prices, geography.
I searched the entire coast of Portugal, site by site, for weeks. Better than watching TV.
Go on Google earth, it's fantastic for this. Usually you can find the property if you take the time.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liveaboard
We paid little attention to area, and concentrated on a list of our wants.
What we wanted was pretty rare at our budget, so what happened was the list got really small really fast.
Ok, we had a general area but it was quite wide [sort of like "central Portugal"]
I think looking at the web is good. You get to know things, terminology, relative prices, geography.
I searched the entire coast of Portugal, site by site, for weeks. Better than watching TV.
Go on Google earth, it's fantastic for this. Usually you can find the property if you take the time.

Thanks for that. We intend to do just that, and take our time.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
Thanks for that. We intend to do just that, and take our time.
I did exactly the same as liveaboard but it took a bit longer and explored for 2 years. I basically filtered our price range for the whole of Portugal and Spain and then walked on street view and researched every part. Eventually ended up buying in Spain though.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I did exactly the same as liveaboard but it took a bit longer and explored for 2 years. I basically filtered our price range for the whole of Portugal and Spain and then walked on street view and researched every part. Eventually ended up buying in Spain though.
I always thought you were in Portugal. We used to live in Spain and didn't like it very much. Out of all the countries we thought about, Portugal is the only one we want to live in now. We love France, but it is a very expensive place to live and even in summer, the bars seem to close early. Not that drinking is the main criteria, but the streets were just dead after a certain time, it must be awful in winter. I know the bigger cities would be ok, but we don't want to live in a big city.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
I always thought you were in Portugal. We used to live in Spain and didn't like it very much. Out of all the countries we thought about, Portugal is the only one we want to live in now. We love France, but it is a very expensive place to live and even in summer, the bars seem to close early. Not that drinking is the main criteria, but the streets were just dead after a certain time, it must be awful in winter. I know the bigger cities would be ok, but we don't want to live in a big city.
Algarve near coast was too pricey for us and then also looked at silver coast but again a bit pricey for building land near coast and we have the Atlantic at home. South of Spain just too dry in many parts and other coastal parts too built up or plots were again pricey. Not a fan of France or let's say language and difficult with English but no doubt a lot easier to get to for 2nd home and Côte d’Azur is stunning. Eventually ended up in Costa Brava as you have the same coastline as Côte d’Azur at a fraction of price and benefit that we can drive there in 10/11 hours
Old Oct 5th 2020, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't see prices going down much in the Algarve personally, as there seems to be just so much demand.
Old Oct 29th 2020, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
Can't see prices going down much in the Algarve personally, as there seems to be just so much demand.
I had my annual local ( to us) internet property nose today and I was quite frankly amazed at some of the prices in comparison to last time I looked.

One bed apartments, nothing special, which last time I looked were struggling at 105/110K now being listed at 155K.

I realise this is asking price and not sale price but my flabber was seriously gasted at some of the prices being asked.

Old Oct 30th 2020, 9:28 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

And where is this, pray ?
Old Oct 30th 2020, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
And where is this, pray ?
In our little village on the outskirts of Tavira

Old Oct 31st 2020, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Portuguese selling property tend to take the same attitude when it comes to the sake of anything...............if you show an interest that means they have the upper hand....try negotiating for a second hand car !!!
Old Oct 31st 2020, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
In our little village on the outskirts of Tavira
IF it is where I think that you are referring to, there are some utterly bonkers prices being asked for new builds and re-builds (previous property was demolished) BUT those properties aren't actually moving - they have been on the market for well over a year.

Last time we were there, our property which we were renting was on the market and the price dropped and dropped prior to ending up sold and it was in a pretty ideal location.

Have to admit to being a Tavira property watcher - must be just bored now - and I get a sense that there is still significant value to be had in local properties, particularly if, as has just been said earlier, you play the longer game and don't act too keen at the get-go. You can also save by going direct rather than through an agent, which is a game in itself.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 31st 2020 at 11:38 am.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

We really like Tavira and looked at several properties there but unfortunately it was too expensive.

We ended up heading further to the east and slightly in land which is a great location with easy access to the coast, services and Spain.

For those looking for affordable property, there are several villages slightly inland with reasonably prices houses both reformed and to be reformed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.