Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portuguese passport

Portuguese passport

Old Dec 31st 2018, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

herc182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Portuguese passport

Hi (I will continue searching on this forum and elsewhere in meantime !)

I am a British national with Portuguese parents / grandparents. I have never lived or worked in Portugal. I would like to get a Portuguese passport but is that the same as citizenship ? I want to have more options once the UK ruin themselves through Brexit as well as perhaps move to Portugal one day. However for now I will remain in UK and work here -are there any hidden issues in having a Portuguese passport ? Taxation for example? I believe army sign up is no longer compulsory. Also, I have a limited window to do the application on a visit in February. What would I need to bring with me from the UK? I already have número contribuinte. Portugal is famous for inefficiency when it comes to paperwork (as my mother found out trying to resolve banking when my father died 2 years ago)

Thank you !
Phil
Old Dec 31st 2018, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Portuguese passport

The other option is an ID card I guess?
Old Jan 1st 2019, 7:21 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't already have Portuguese nationality, you'd need to obtain that before requesting a passport.

The id card - which as well as id contains fiscal number, health service number and social security number - is available for PT nationals living abroad. In fact, it's described on eg the Ministry of Justice website as obligatory for all citizens, whether resident in Portugal or elsewhere, although I don't know whether that means you'd be automatically issued one on completing the nationality process.

No, acquiring PT nationality wouldn't have any adverse effects with regard to taxation or any other obligations. Taxation is primarily based on residence unless you have income arising in Portugal whilst resident abroad, in which case it may be subject to PT tax depending on what the DTA between Portugal and the country of residence says. In any case it's not affected by nationality - under the same circumstances non-PT citizens will be treated identically tax-wise.

There's a list of the documents required for the attribution of Portuguese nationality in your circumstances on this page of the Min of Justice website : Nasceu no estrangeiro e é filho de um português

Last edited by Red Eric; Jan 1st 2019 at 7:46 am. Reason: typo
Old Jan 1st 2019, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Thank you. This is very helpful. Had no idea about nationality. Will check out that link and try not to fall back on the English translation!
Old Jan 1st 2019, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red Eric
If you don't already have Portuguese nationality, you'd need to obtain that before requesting a passport.

The id card - which as well as id contains fiscal number, health service number and social security number - is available for PT nationals living abroad. In fact, it's described on eg the Ministry of Justice website as obligatory for all citizens, whether resident in Portugal or elsewhere, although I don't know whether that means you'd be automatically issued one on completing the nationality process.

No, acquiring PT nationality wouldn't have any adverse effects with regard to taxation or any other obligations. Taxation is primarily based on residence unless you have income arising in Portugal whilst resident abroad, in which case it may be subject to PT tax depending on what the DTA between Portugal and the country of residence says. In any case it's not affected by nationality - under the same circumstances non-PT citizens will be treated identically tax-wise.

There's a list of the documents required for the attribution of Portuguese nationality in your circumstances on this page of the Min of Justice website :
I may as well kiss any prospect goodbye if this involves the Portuguese consulate in London (which I perceive it to do) - they are awful (as my mother has attested to many times). I cant book online as I am not registered with them. When I have tried to call, I can never get through. Email is unresponded to many times - they really don’t care and are an embarassment. But enough on that!
To get Portuguese nationality will need my birth certificate “legalised” by I assume the consulate as well as translating (latter I am sure I can find in London easily).

Any way could I just take a translated birth certificate to Portugal on my visit and avoid the London consulate altogether?!
Old Jan 1st 2019, 11:26 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herc182
Thank you. This is very helpful. Had no idea about nationality. Will check out that link and try not to fall back on the English translation!

Yes, sorry about the link in Portuguese - I was hunting about for an authoritative government website with the info in English and couldn't locate one. You can probably search for it in English and get the same info from elsewhere but it's best from the horse's mouth in my opinion.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 11:36 am
Polished expat

I may as well kiss any prospect goodbye if this involves the Portuguese consulate in London (which I perceive it to do) - they are awful (as my mother has attested to many times). I cant book online as I am not registered with them. When I have tried to call, I can never get through. Email is unresponded to many times - they really don’t care and are an embarassment. But enough on that!
To get Portuguese nationality will need my birth certificate “legalised” by I assume the consulate as well as translating (latter I am sure I can find in London easily).

Any way could I just take a translated birth certificate to Portugal on my visit and avoid the London consulate altogether?!
The link says it ought to be certified by the consulate but I know there's a process for getting a UK birth certificate legalised - Get your document legalised Whether that would suffice, I really don't know. Worth a go I suppose if you want to try to bypass the consulate - it's not like you'll only ever get one shot at it or anything.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Yes, sorry about the link in Portuguese - I was hunting about for an authoritative government website with the info in English and couldn't locate one. You can probably search for it in English and get the same info from elsewhere but it's best from the horse's mouth in my opinion.
no problem - I managed with the Portuguese. My Portuguese is ok conversationally but quickly spirals when legal speak happens!
Old Jan 1st 2019, 11:42 am
Just Joined

The link says it ought to be certified by the consulate but I know there's a process for getting a UK birth certificate legalised -Whether that would suffice, I really don't know. Worth a go I suppose if you want to try to bypass the consulate - it's not like you'll only ever get one shot at it or anything.
Thank you! That looks like the ticket. I have ordered another birth certificate as I am sure they will want one no older than 6 months then will go through that process you linked. So far, so good (if I dont need the consulate!).
Old Jan 1st 2019, 12:21 pm
Polished expat

Yes, you have my utmost sympathies on the London consulate. I accompanied my wife there on a couple of occasions back in the day - I don't think I've ever had a more surly encounter over anything of an official nature. They even managed to surpass the UK immigration authorities although that was a long time ago, so it'd probably be a bit touch and go these days the way things have changed.

Glad to be of help if I have been - I've recently been looking into just this matter for my wife's daughter, hence the passing knowledge of what's supposed to be required. I'm not sure she's quite ready to start the process yet so it'll be interesting to know how you find it if you've the time to update the thread as you progress.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

For sure I will keep you updated.

I understand now that I need to be registered as a national which your link helps with. Then I will get my birth certificate legalised (when it arrives), then do the rest in Portugal to avoid the consulate. We have family over there so we can ask them if that’s possible.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Lacx is an unknown quantity at this point

For sure I will keep you updated.

I understand now that I need to be registered as a national which your link helps with. Then I will get my birth certificate legalised (when it arrives), then do the rest in Portugal to avoid the consulate. We have family over there so we can ask them if that’s possible.
IIRC, even if you do it in Portugal, the documentation is sent back to the consulate/embassy nearest to where you live and processed there.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lacx
IIRC, even if you do it in Portugal, the documentation is sent back to the consulate/embassy nearest to where you live and processed there.
Good luck with that one then!
A number of years ago we had the displeasure with having to deal with London.Husband was renewing passport fo a trip to New Zealand.Between London and Manchester they had my husbands old passport for 4 months without any action.We like yourselves had emailed and phoned and when we eventually got through we were told they were busy and we were in a queue despite telling them the passport was needed quickly. 2 weeks before we were due to travel,still no passport,so my husband phoned and hung on and it was eventually answered. He explained the situation,but was given the same answer.The woman at the other end not a bit miffed when he asked her to explain why it was taking to long and was quite rude.He told her that there was no need for her attitude to which she duly hung up.
I was so annoyed I got on the phone and when it was eventually answered asked directly to speak to the consul and no one else, which really got them in a lather. It did the trick though.. we had the passport in a week,although they wouldn't send it and had to travel from Wales to pick it up.
Suggest you have ago at that or try Manchester,not much better,but you can drop in and they will see you after 4pm. Need to get there early as its first come first served.
Best results is travel to Portugal.That's what we are doing now.Can get a new passport or Id card within 10 days.
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 11:22 am
Polished expat

It certainly doesn't read on the government websites that only the consulate in your country of residence can handle the request. As well as the one previously linked to, this also seems to indicate that it's entirely a matter of choice as to where the application is lodged and dealt with :
Onde pode requerer
  • Serviços Consulares portugueses da área de residência
  • Conservatória do Registo Civil à escolha
  • Extensão da Conservatória dos Registos Centrais localizada no CNAI
Atribuição de nacionalidade
Old Jan 2nd 2019, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Lacx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Best results is travel to Portugal.That's what we are doing now.Can get a new passport or Id card within 10 days.
You cannot travel to Portugal and get cititzenship in 10 days. You sorta need that before getting a passport/id card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.