Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

portuguese nationality through children.

portuguese nationality through children.

Old Oct 15th 2018, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

saam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default portuguese nationality through children.

Dear all

I am a prorogues national and my parents are not. In July some rules were changed and I heard that non Portuguese parents can get the nationality through their Portuguese children.

Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2018, 12:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: portuguese nationality through children.

The grandchildren of Portuguese citizens born abroad can now obtain Portuguese citizenship. As previously discussed your mother could’ve become a Portuguese citizen by declaration when your father was still alive. I’m not aware of any change that would help your mother obtain Portuguese citizenship.
Old Oct 15th 2018, 1:06 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's true that there were some changes which became effective in July and that one of these relates to acquisition of citizenship in the ascending line.

In essence, the circumstances under which this could be granted are that the offspring are Portuguese by birth (by virtue of having been born in Portugal to non PT parents) and that at the time of application, the parent has resided in Portugal, legally or otherwise, for a minimum of five years.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Yes, it's true that there were some changes which became effective in July and that one of these relates to acquisition of citizenship in the ascending line.

In essence, the circumstances under which this could be granted are that the offspring are Portuguese by birth (by virtue of having been born in Portugal to non PT parents) and that at the time of application, the parent has resided in Portugal, legally or otherwise, for a minimum of five years.
Hi,
My daughter is PT-ENG

Does this simplify the process at all?

I could get citizenship as I 'tick all the boxes' (2o years here working, Portuguese OK, married to one etc etc) but have been putting it off due to the bureaucracy and cost - would this new law cut any of that out?

I am not holding my breath but hope springs eternal .....
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 1:27 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I think the process for citizenship by marriage was simplified sufficiently to make that an easy enough option for those of us to whom it applies.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Midgo
Hi,
My daughter is PT-ENG

Does this simplify the process at all?

I could get citizenship as I 'tick all the boxes' (2o years here working, Portuguese OK, married to one etc etc) but have been putting it off due to the bureaucracy and cost - would this new law cut any of that out?

I am not holding my breath but hope springs eternal .....
I could be wrong but think that if you're married to a Portuguese person, have been here 20 years & have the language you're easily eligible for citizenship.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 5:42 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I could be wrong but think that if you're married to a Portuguese person, have been here 20 years & have the language you're easily eligible for citizenship.
If you're married to a PT citizen, you don't even need to prove language proficiency
Old Dec 8th 2018, 5:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by saam
Dear all

I am a prorogues national and my parents are not. In July some rules were changed and I heard that non Portuguese parents can get the nationality through their Portuguese children.

Thanks
I did ask you to contact me but you did not. I have now merged the accounts.
Thanks