Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portuguese EHIC....How?

Portuguese EHIC....How?

Old Oct 30th 2019, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Portuguese EHIC....How?

My wife and I are retired with Portuguese residency and S1 forms. Whilst registered with the health service with, of course, fiscal numbers,we do not have Social Security numbers. Could anyone explain clearly how we might obtain a Portuguese EHIC (or also refer to any good forum posts on the subject)? Thanks!
Old Oct 30th 2019, 1:21 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese EHIC....How?

Originally Posted by Diddion View Post
My wife and I are retired with Portuguese residency and S1 forms. Whilst registered with the health service with, of course, fiscal numbers,we do not have Social Security numbers. Could anyone explain clearly how we might obtain a Portuguese EHIC (or also refer to any good forum posts on the subject)? Thanks!
While you're registered via S1 and the UK is still in the EU, and unless or until alternative arrangements are in place (which won't be known until the negotiations due to take place during any transition period yield something tangible), then the UK remains the authority responsible for your EHIC cover and card issuance and you won't get any joy applying to the PT authorities for one.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, if you have an S1 form the UK will issue your EHIC.

Post Brexit, if the S1 form is no longer valid, then you can then try and get a Portuguese issued EHIC.

I've read conflicting information about applying for a Portuguese EHIC without a Portuguese Social Security number BUT we managed to do it.
We went to a Social Security desk within a Citizens Shop. The two ladies there thought we weren't entitled to one but made a phone call and were told they could.
So we have one, even though some people think we shouldn't.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

If the rules change and you do need to get an EHIC card issued by Portugal here's some info...

Here the EHIC is called a Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença (CESD).

This is a link to the Social Security site section on it, it's in Portuguese.

Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença - seg-social.pt

..and here is the form that you can complete then print out. Which is what we did.

http://www.seg-social.pt/documents/1...4-529b7d2c90f4
Old Oct 30th 2019, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline View Post
If the rules change and you do need to get an EHIC card issued by Portugal here's some info...

Here the EHIC is called a Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença (CESD).

This is a link to the Social Security site section on it, it's in Portuguese.

Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença - seg-social.pt

..and here is the form that you can complete then print out. Which is what we did.

http://www.seg-social.pt/documents/1...4-529b7d2c90f4
Thank you for your posts, also to Red Eric. I see that the form asks for your Social Security number, so what happened about this? (I assume you don’t have one?)
Old Oct 30th 2019, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Diddion View Post

Thank you for your posts, also to Red Eric. I see that the form asks for your Social Security number, so what happened about this? (I assume you don’t have one?)

I left that bit blank Diddion, but if you have an S1 form you shouldn't be applying this way.

You will have to get your EHIC from the UK. It could be a long time yet, if ever, before the UK leaves the EU.

Old Oct 30th 2019, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

This is the info you need Diddion...

If you live in Europe

You'll be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC if you live in another EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland and 1 of the following applies to you:
  • you receive a UK State Pension or exportable UK benefit, and have a UK-issued S1 form (certificate of entitlement) registered in your country of residence
  • you're a worker posted to work in another EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland by your UK employer, or a frontier worker living in 1 of these countries and working in the UK
  • you're a family member of a posted worker or someone working in the UK and not covered in your own right by the EEA country you reside in
You cannot apply online for a UK-issued EHIC.

You'll need to contact Overseas Healthcare Services at the NHS Business Services Authority instead.

Call 0191 218 1999 from the UK or +44 191 218 1999 from abroad, Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

For more detailed information, see moving abroad or phone the EHIC enquiry line on 0300 330 1350.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...nsurance-card/
Old Oct 31st 2019, 8:44 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline View Post
I've read conflicting information about applying for a Portuguese EHIC without a Portuguese Social Security number BUT we managed to do it.
We went to a Social Security desk within a Citizens Shop. The two ladies there thought we weren't entitled to one but made a phone call and were told they could.
So we have one, even though some people think we shouldn't.
I'll just clear this one up from the point of view of what the Social Security Department's own publications say, as it's a topic that came up fairly recently in a discussion which resulted in one of our number successfully getting a PT EHIC he had initially been refused.

That discussion starts here , the extract and link from the same source as posted above.

In Diddion's case, though, he obviously isn't currently eligible for a PT EHIC and would only be issued one through incompetence (possibly multiple) on the PT side or failure on his part to correctly declare his own situation. Or a combination of both.

However, all the indications are that even if the future relationship does dispense with the S1 arrangements, those currently covered would presumably not encounter any difficulties here in Portugal in switching to a PT issued EHIC.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
While you're registered via S1 and the UK is still in the EU, and unless or until alternative arrangements are in place (which won't be known until the negotiations due to take place during any transition period yield something tangible), then the UK remains the authority responsible for your EHIC cover and card issuance and you won't get any joy applying to the PT authorities for one.
From this, I infer that UK nationals who do not yet have their state pension can get an EHIC issued by Portugal.

However, after 5 weeks, and a number of trips to the Social Security office, I have been denied a card.
Twice they have said I will receive a letter from them, though I have received nothing.
The last conversation ended with them saying that the UK is responsible for issuing an EHIC.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ricko View Post
From this, I infer that UK nationals who do not yet have their state pension can get an EHIC issued by Portugal.
Well we managed to get them as early retirees without SS numbers.
Old Nov 1st 2019, 7:38 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by ricko View Post

However, after 5 weeks, and a number of trips to the Social Security office, I have been denied a card.
Twice they have said I will receive a letter from them, though I have received nothing.
The last conversation ended with them saying that the UK is responsible for issuing an EHIC.
It's not from that quote that you should infer that, since it only tells you where the UK is responsible and not necessarily that if it isn't, then Portugal must be.

However, according to the link provided by AliceCaroline and as discussed on that other thread I linked to, being enrolled in the PT health service alone is sufficient to qualify you for a PT EHIC in the absence of you being covered by any other means. That is stated in the last bullet point under the heading "Quem pode requerer".

If you have a look at that other thread, you'll find that DiDAN had a successful outcome after an initial rejection and a subsequent discussion about that point.