Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portuguese EHIC Card Post Brexit

Portuguese EHIC Card Post Brexit

Old Sep 26th 2019, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Bucbar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Portuguese EHIC Card Post Brexit

I am permanently resident in Portugal and have a Portuguese EHIC card primarily for medical ‘insurance’ when visiting the UK.
Post Brexit I guess I will lose this benefit and so does this mean even as a British Citizen I will not have any kind of protection against any medical care I might need whilst visiting the UK and will therefore have to arrange private travel insurance?
Old Sep 26th 2019, 4:53 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese EHIC Card Post Brexit

It depends.

If the UK leaves with an agreement, EHIC cards will continue to be accepted on both sides at least until the end of the transition period.

If the UK leaves without one, they will not unless or until an agreement (or agreements, in the case of bilateral arrangements with individual countries) on the matter is reached.

A PT EHIC issued to a UK citizen will still be valid for use in all the other EU member states, though, even in the case of a disorderly Brexit.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Bucbar is an unknown quantity at this point

So if no agreement then as a British Citizen visiting the UK are you also saying I would have no UK NHS benefits in the event of needing medical treatment?
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:17 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bucbar
So if no agreement then as a British Citizen visiting the UK are you also saying I would have no UK NHS benefits in the event of needing medical treatment?
Correct.

As things stand, unless you're a UK state pensioner, a posted worker or a student and you're currently resident in the EU, you won't have free NHS treatment on visits to the UK in the event of a disorderly Brexit.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Rorypens is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bucbar
I am permanently resident in Portugal and have a Portuguese EHIC card primarily for medical ‘insurance’ when visiting the UK.
Post Brexit I guess I will lose this benefit and so does this mean even as a British Citizen I will not have any kind of protection against any medical care I might need whilst visiting the UK and will therefore have to arrange private travel insurance?

Technically you would be considered a "medical tourist" and not "ordinarily resident" and therefore you would be charged "cost plus 50%". Saying that the "ordinarily resident" test is quite lax in its last four words "you must be living in the UK on a lawful and properly settled basis for the time being"

Those of us who live outside the EU have had this to contend with for a long time although its only been really been pushed and checked on since 2017.

Last edited by Rorypens; Sep 27th 2019 at 2:27 am.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 7:30 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It should be pointed that everyone gets primary care - A&E, GP - for free on the NHS regardless of their residence status. Non-residents are only charged for secondary care - anything involving in-patient treatment - for which you should be taking out travel insurance for in any case.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 9:36 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It should be pointed that everyone gets primary care - A&E, GP - for free on the NHS regardless of their residence status. Non-residents are only charged for secondary care - anything involving in-patient treatment - for which you should be taking out travel insurance for in any case.
Ah..... I question that statement BiP....... At my distance I'm open to correction, so if I'm wrong then I'll admit it; - but I believe the only service you'll get is an ambulance ride to a treatment venue, but the treatment that follows won't come without a bill.... at least that's my understanding.
UK Dr's now have to act as unpaid border officials.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 12:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve
Ah..... I question that statement BiP....... At my distance I'm open to correction, so if I'm wrong then I'll admit it; - but I believe the only service you'll get is an ambulance ride to a treatment venue, but the treatment that follows won't come without a bill.... at least that's my understanding.
UK Dr's now have to act as unpaid border officials.
Your ride to A&E is free and if they can patch you up at the triage station then that’s free - though I would suggest that’s unlikely if it’s a blue light emergency. If you end in a hospital bed/surgical theatre then you should expect a bill as a non-resident which your travel insurance should cover. Ditto for repatriation.
Old Sep 28th 2019, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

As things stand, unless you're a UK state pensioner, a posted worker or a student and you're currently resident in the EU, you won't have free NHS treatment on visits to the UK in the event of a disorderly Brexit.
Does this mean that a UK state pensioner is always covered by the NHS?
Old Sep 28th 2019, 3:26 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricko
Not necessarily. I'm personally aware of one finishing a three year contract outside the EU, who on his return to see his family at Christmas and needing a Dr. was firmly told that as he had no "current settled UK status" (outside for over 18 months) he was not entitled to any free treatment....... (physician heal thyself ? )
Old Sep 28th 2019, 6:23 pm
Polished expat

UK State pensioners with S1 cover (ie registered in another EU country as such) are, yes.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

UK State pensioners with S1 cover (ie registered in another EU country as such) are, yes.
Would this also apply to UK citizens who moved to Portugal but only received their state pension a few years after they moved?
Old Oct 1st 2019, 12:44 pm
Polished expat

Would this also apply to UK citizens who moved to Portugal but only received their state pension a few years after they moved?
Up until now, that would be the case.

In the future, who knows, since it depends entirely on the UK government's desire to continue with such arrangements.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Up until now, that would be the case.

In the future, who knows, since it depends entirely on the UK government's desire to continue with such arrangements.
Letter received today from NHS Business Service Authority as a UK pensioner living in Portugal
Quote : "After 31st October 2019 you will be able to access free health Care when temporarily visiting England, Scotland and Wales. To access NHS services you will need to present a copy of your S1.
If you are planning to travel to another EU country without an arrangement between the UK and the country you are travelling to you will not be able to rely on your UK-issued EHIC card , youmust make sure you have travel insurance that covers you for healthcare.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 6:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Letter received today from NHS Business Service Authority as a UK pensioner living in Portugal
Quote : "After 31st October 2019 you will be able to access free health Care when temporarily visiting England, Scotland and Wales. To access NHS services you will need to present a copy of your S1.
If you are planning to travel to another EU country without an arrangement between the UK and the country you are travelling to you will not be able to rely on your UK-issued EHIC card , youmust make sure you have travel insurance that covers you for healthcare.
UK govt policy is now all about making expat's lives as uncertain, and bloody miserable as possible from 31/10.
Own it folks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.