Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portuguese Car Insurance

Portuguese Car Insurance

Old Apr 8th 2017, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Portuguese Car Insurance

Anyone had any recent quotes for Car Insurance?. I have just been quoted over €360 for the renewal of my Annual Policy for a Nissan Note 1.5 diesel. Seems a bit steep, given that I have 2 years NCD and no claims.

Are there any price comparison sites like there are in the UK?
Old Apr 8th 2017, 8:28 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese Car Insurance

Originally Posted by tootlewagon
Anyone had any recent quotes for Car Insurance?. I have just been quoted over €360 for the renewal of my Annual Policy for a Nissan Note 1.5 diesel. Seems a bit steep, given that I have 2 years NCD and no claims.

As you insure the vehicle not the person, NCD doesn't apply like in the UK. You need to see what is included, as often roadside assistance, etc. are often bundled in. Then check with the "big boys" in insurance here and see what they quote....
Old Apr 8th 2017, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

This has no relevance whatsoever but you won't be pleased to hear my 5.9 litre V8 classic car costs me just €36 per year to insure.

And is also exempt from road tax. (snigger)

Gotta love Portugal!
Old Apr 9th 2017, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but you pay it all back at the fuel pump, don't you?
Old Apr 9th 2017, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Ah, but you pay it all back at the fuel pump, don't you?
I only use it for high days & holidays but ja, she's a thirsty girl......... Jeep's idea of 'in car entertainment' at that time seems to be sitting there & watching the fuel gauge drop.

Joking aside & getting back to the original question, although the O/P doesn't mention what sort of cover the quote is for it does strike me as expensive & FWIW, when I recently renewed my other car the quote I took was for only drivers of 45 years or older to drive the car & that immediately knocked €50 off the premium.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I only use it for high days & holidays but ja, she's a thirsty girl......... Jeep's idea of 'in car entertainment' at that time seems to be sitting there & watching the fuel gauge drop.

Joking aside & getting back to the original question, although the O/P doesn't mention what sort of cover the quote is for it does strike me as expensive & FWIW, when I recently renewed my other car the quote I took was for only drivers of 45 years or older to drive the car & that immediately knocked €50 off the premium.
The quote was for comprehensive cover with any driver (over 30), but given that it's a small car 9 years old, €360 seems pretty steep. The quote was from Ibex - any recommendation for other insurance Companies?
Old Apr 9th 2017, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

The quote was for comprehensive cover with any driver (over 30), but given that it's a small car 9 years old, €360 seems pretty steep. The quote was from Ibex - any recommendation for other insurance Companies?
Fully comp on a 9 year old vehicle is going to be expensive because it's unusual & you'd also get better prices if you use a broker who will look for best price as opposed to an insurance company that won't.

You don't mention what area you're in but the broker I use is in Castanhere da Pera & just has a desk in a paper shop but his service is brilliant........ you can contact him at [email protected] - but he doesn't speak English I'm afraid.

Another option that's usually very competitive is ACP but you might need to be a member to get a quote.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Try this site :https://www.compareomercado.pt/simul...nsoaAmxZ8P8HAQ

As others have said asking for comprehensive insurance does make it considerably more expensive
Old Apr 9th 2017, 8:30 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Ibex are not a Portuguese company but based in Gibraltar.
As others have suggested try a local company.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EMR
Ibex are not a Portuguese company but based in Gibraltar.
Not strictly true:

Ibex Sucursal em Portugal is the branch operation of Ibex Insurance in Portugal and is licensed to operate in Portugal as a ‘Corretor de Seguros’ (Insurance Broker). With 2 offices located in Portugal, Ibex Portugal offers the full range of Ibex policies together with a range of other insurance products from ASF regulated and authorised insurers. Ibex Sucursal is fully authorised by the Autoridade de Supervisão de Seguros e Fundos de Pensões (ASF).
Old Apr 9th 2017, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EMR
As others have suggested try a local company.
It will be difficult to obtain comprehensive cover on a vehicle over 8 years old with a Portuguese insurer.

You can ask Ibex if Lusitania or Victoria will quote to cover your car.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:09 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike
Not strictly true:

Ibex Sucursal em Portugal is the branch operation of Ibex Insurance in Portugal and is licensed to operate in Portugal as a ‘Corretor de Seguros’ (Insurance Broker). With 2 offices located in Portugal, Ibex Portugal offers the full range of Ibex policies together with a range of other insurance products from ASF regulated and authorised insurers. Ibex Sucursal is fully authorised by the Autoridade de Supervisão de Seguros e Fundos de Pensões (ASF).
Having read an Ibex insurance document. I beg to differ.
But it all depends who comes up with the right offer in the end.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EMR
Having read an Ibex insurance document. I beg to differ.
I worked there!
Many Portuguese insurers are part of foreign companies.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:45 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

The comprehensive insurance on my 1999 Seat Arosa was €190.01 last August. That's with Zurich, through a local broker.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by macliam
The comprehensive insurance on my 1999 Seat Arosa was €190.01 last August. That's with Zurich, through a local broker.
Some companies will keep renewing comprehensive cover on older vehicles but most will not take out new business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.