Portuguese Bread

Old Feb 14th 2009, 8:25 am
Just Joined

juandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nice
Default Portuguese Bread

Hi, can someone please tell me how to make Portuguese bread, it seems to be a national secret, I have tried recipes online but it not the same bread,
much appreciated
Old Feb 14th 2009, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all
Default Re: Portuguese Bread

Originally Posted by juandan
Hi, can someone please tell me how to make Portuguese bread, it seems to be a national secret, I have tried recipes online but it not the same bread,
much appreciated
Sorry, can't help with the making of the bread, but just wanted to say that I'm addicted to Portuguese bread. We live in Spain (near Huelva capital) and drive to Portugal regularly to buy it fresh. Hope someone comes along soon to help.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Titleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond repute

there should be a health warning with portuguese bread, it is so lovely, it is addictive
Old Feb 14th 2009, 4:57 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

much appreciated
Are you buying ingredients locally in Portugal?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:03 am
Just Joined

juandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nice

Originally Posted by jmh
Are you buying ingredients locally in Portugal?
No I'm in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, we have a large Portuguese community living here, but they don't have anything to do with the locals, mind you I don't blame them,what with all the Anti-social behaviour that going on here,
I buy bread from a Portuguese mini-market the owner makes his own bread,
I asked him what ingredients he uses to make his bread, he said flour, water, yeast and salt Like I say I think its a national secret, I make good bread myself but the Portuguese bread is something else.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:17 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

No I'm in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, we have a large Portuguese community living here, but they don't have anything to do with the locals, mind you I don't blame them,what with all the Anti-social behaviour that going on here,
I buy bread from a Portuguese mini-market the owner makes his own bread,
I asked him what ingredients he uses to make his bread, he said flour, water, yeast and salt Like I say I think its a national secret, I make good bread myself but the Portuguese bread is something else.
I'm intrigued. I am a bread maker too, so I am curious to know the difference. I had thought it was all the sunshine .
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:09 am
Just Joined

I'm going to have ago at this recipe http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/20/Corn_bread_(broa) when I get the semolina,
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

masterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to all

I think it is made using a bin of live yeast , I cant remember the term for it in baking but its yeast from the air rather than from the packet.Obviously it also needs to be wood fired.

Its too delicious , you can get something apporaching it in the uk , most euro breads thats wrongly are in the "ethnic section" of supermarket bakeries are a good approximation.Even irish loaves or polish do , but not a patch on home made portu stuff.

I remember reading somewhere about how years ago it used to be collected from home bakeries , and even that some ash was added to the water....but whether thats was a myth to prevent the magic being copied I just dont know.

If I cant find any when im in the uk I end up with some fresh scots plain.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty certain the flour is different. I've tried using my bread machine out there and I can't get good results whether I use dried or fresh yeast.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

This is the bread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbih2PKGa0U

Last edited by juandan; Feb 15th 2009 at 3:01 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Have you got a Nando's near you? They have Portuguese rolls and pasteis de nata...

Not as good as having a PT shop but if you are desperate
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:52 am
Just Joined

I'm back in the UK now, I want to know how to make the bread not buy it
Old Feb 16th 2009, 12:25 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back in the UK now, I want to know how to make the bread not buy it
Try this site might help?
http://www.iamprovincetown.com/Cookb...ese_bread.html
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Pão Milho
Attached Thumbnails Portuguese Bread-dscf2015.jpg  
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:57 pm
I.T Expert - Algarve

scott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Re: Portuguese Bread

much appreciated
Sounds like i should try some of this phonomenon!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.