Portuguese Bread

Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Titleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portuguese Bread

Originally Posted by scott909
Sounds like i should try some of this phonomenon!!!
Scott, you dont know what you are missing
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:48 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juandan
Pão Milho
Ooohhh the looks nice. Did you make it? What's the secret then?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:59 am
Just Joined

juandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nice

I've been making my own bread for about five years, I like to try and make different types of bread, the bread rolls in the picture are my version of Portuguese corn bread, this is how I made it,

Ingredients:
¾ of a kilo white cornmeal (or yellow)
boiling water
white bread flour (about 3 kilo)
3 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
2 sachets of fast action yeast
1500ML of warm water
In a large bowl combine cornmeal, boiling water, salt, and olive oil. Stir vigorously until you have a soft dough. let it Cool down. Add the 2 sachets of yeast into 1500ml of warm water and blend well, add it to the cornmeal and whisk vigorously, keep adding enough flour to produce a moderately firm dough. Place dough on a lightly floured board and knead for about 10 mins, it will be sticky but try to Avoid over flouring the pastry board, Place the dough in a oiled bowl, cover with a clean towel, and let it rise in a warm, draft-free place. The oven, unheated, is a good spot. When the dough has doubled in bulk, after about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, punch it down in the bowl, then take it out and knead it again two or three times. Shape the dough into a ball, and allow it to rise again in the bowl, when its risen again, take it out of the bowl, and onto the work top and cut pieces off to make rolls, put the rolls onto a baking tray sprinkle the rolls with maize flour and flatten down the the rolls, if you don't flatten rolls, the rolls will be to high, cover with a towel let it rise again, then put them into a cold oven yes I did say cold, and turn the the oven on, as the oven heats up the bread will rise some more, I have a gas oven and set it to gas mark 7, bake untill the bread on the top self is nice and brown then put rolls from bottom self to top self and so on untill all the bread is baked, enjoy, I made this video for sourdough bread its the same principle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHrLZv8Waoo

Last edited by juandan; Feb 18th 2009 at 11:55 am.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

arko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to allarko is a name known to all

That's great Juandan. Thank you!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

juandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nicejuandan is just really nice

I hope you enjoy it, Whats it like living in spain? I've been thinking about it for some time now but haven't a clue as to what part of spain to go to, I like gardening and DIY, I coulden't just sit in the sun all day, and booze it up,
I need to be doing something, I speak a little spanish