Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portugese resident therefore an EU citizen?

Portugese resident therefore an EU citizen?

Old Sep 22nd 2023, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Juleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Portugese resident therefore an EU citizen?

Hello everyone,

I had a bit of an argument with an immigration officer at Porto airport who wanted me to queue up at the Non EU citizen line (which had 250+ persons queueing versus his line which was empty). I tried. to explain that as I had Portuguese residency and obtained it before the Brexit transition period ended, I retained my EU citizenship.

In the end I persuaded him, but it did get me wondering about EU citizenship and Portuguese residency.

Am I correct in thinking I'm an EU citizen?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Jules
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portugese resident therefore an EU citizen?

Residency isn't citizenship. Do you have a Portuguese passport, or a passport for any other EU country?
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a Brit passport then you are not an EU citizen......
An EU citizen is one who has a nationality of a country which is part of the EU...... Britain is not.......
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Juleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond reputeJuleskitoo has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. I did find this from the European parliament document outlining EU and UK citizen's rights after brexit:

Beyond the transition period, Part Two of the withdrawal agreement preserves most of the rights of EU and UK citizens who have made use of their freedom of movement rights in accordance with EU law before the end of the transition period. In particular, the provisions of the withdrawal agreement regarding citizens' rights cover entry/exit and residence rights, workers' rights and social security coordination rules. This will allow EU and UK citizens who previously exercised their rights to live, work and study in the UK and the EU respectively, under EU law, to maintain these rights for their entire lifetime, as long as they continue to meet the conditions set in the agreement.
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 3:43 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we retain (most) rights. Some, of course, are lost.

No, we're not EU citizens.

I've been through Porto airport on 2 occasions arriving from outside the Schengen area since the end of the transition period and (prompted by what I had read elsewhere) joined the EU queue. It wasn't commented on at all. If it had been objected to, I wouldn't have argued it.

As it is, when the new EES system comes into service, there'll be no going through either the EU passport or any other automatic lane - we're going to have to seek out a border agent. We'll be slower getting through the airport than non-resident UK citizens.
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juleskitoo
Nope. I did find this from the European parliament document outlining EU and UK citizen's rights after brexit:

Beyond the transition period, Part Two of the withdrawal agreement preserves most of the rights of EU and UK citizens who have made use of their freedom of movement rights in accordance with EU law before the end of the transition period. In particular, the provisions of the withdrawal agreement regarding citizens' rights cover entry/exit and residence rights, workers' rights and social security coordination rules. This will allow EU and UK citizens who previously exercised their rights to live, work and study in the UK and the EU respectively, under EU law, to maintain these rights for their entire lifetime, as long as they continue to meet the conditions set in the agreement.
You have maintained your rights to live work and study in the EU under the Brexit withdrawal agreement, but you are not a citizen of the EU..... just as those from the EU have maintained their rights to live, work and study in the UK..... it does not make them a Brit citizen.
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 5:13 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You have maintained your rights to live work and study in the EU under the Brexit withdrawal agreement[...]
Rights which only extend to the country resided in at the end of the transition period.

Move from there and you lose all the Brexit WA protections.
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Those brexit benefits - they just keep a'coming! The sheer idiocy of it all.

Anyway, thanks guys for all the answers.

I had been wondering about those e-gates . . . .
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 5:39 pm
Polished expat

Those brexit benefits - they just keep a'coming! The sheer idiocy of it all.
[...]
There's always hope
Spoiler:

Old Sep 22nd 2023, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Yes, we retain (most) rights. Some, of course, are lost.

As it is, when the new EES system comes into service, there'll be no going through either the EU passport or any other automatic lane - we're going to have to seek out a border agent. We'll be slower getting through the airport than non-resident UK citizens.
But this won't be happening soon. DELAYED AGAIN

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...u-sources-say/
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

More pearl clutching from the Daily Mail. Not sure it will be Starmer, but I think the youth of the UK won't stand for it. And a decade of anaemic growth should do it.

However, I do think that offshore, billionaire, non-dom newpaper ownership needs to come to an end. Its done terrible damage to the national discourse. If you have such influence in a country, at least you should live in the UK. Are you listening Rupert? Probs not.

Old Sep 22nd 2023, 8:02 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by NataHH
But this won't be happening soon. DELAYED AGAIN

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...u-sources-say/
Quite right, too.

There are things which shouldn't be rushed.
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 8:10 pm
Polished expat

More pearl clutching from the Daily Mail. Not sure it will be Starmer, but I think the youth of the UK won't stand for it. And a decade of anaemic growth should do it.[...]
As should the constant repetition of Brexit being "betrayed" I mean, how many times can that happen??

No, I don't think it'll change materially under Starmer but even within the limits he's set, some necessary steps to recovery can be taken.

Of course the Mail, Express & co will have kittens at any hint that the damage won't be increased by diverging materially from the EU on regulations, hence their contempt for Sunak, who at least realises the cost implications of some measures and baulks at pursuing them, as, indeed, did his predecessors, who are now lining up to throw rotten tomatoes at him.
Old Sep 23rd 2023, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Get the impression that they have no idea what they are doing at Passport control inbound.....queued up in non EU lane at Faro 2 weeks ago. Handed passport and PT residency card, bloke looked at them both for couple of minutes, then in the blink of an eye stamped the passport, then looked up and said.....Sorry !!!
If working can BR passport holders with residency go through Egates in PT, as any EU citizen with a passport of any nation, can when entering UK ?
Old Sep 23rd 2023, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Get the impression that they have no idea what they are doing at Passport control inbound.....queued up in non EU lane at Faro 2 weeks ago. Handed passport and PT residency card, bloke looked at them both for couple of minutes, then in the blink of an eye stamped the passport, then looked up and said.....Sorry !!!
If working can BR passport holders with residency go through Egates in PT, as any EU citizen with a passport of any nation, can when entering UK ?
Was that "sorry" as in "I made a mistake" or as in "that's the way it is now"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.