Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portugese Politics

Portugese Politics

Old May 11th 2017, 12:45 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portugese politics as experienced by those that emigrated permanently to to Portu

Old May 11th 2017, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: politics for expats

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
Because on BE, all the emoticons are under the heading 'Smilies'. You can take offense to any of them, smile at them, ignore them, your choice, personally they make me smile but ymmv.
To be honest I'm not sure your response is logically consistent.

However, I don't have an argument with you, nor do I want one.
Time to put this to bed![/QUOTE]

and kindly knock this one on the head as well - there aught to be a monte python thread for anyone wanting the pointless 5s arguments[/QUOTE]

What did It say????
Old May 11th 2017, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portugese politics as experienced by those that emigrated permanently to to Portu

carvoeiro.
This is an open thread in an open forum.
You have no control over how others choose to contribute, provided they stay within forum rules.
That is why you will never get what you want!
Old May 11th 2017, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

instead of screwing up threads with pointless arguments go and watch this

peace and goodwill to all men -
Old May 11th 2017, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Really couldn't care less.
You are always welcome to eat your popcorn somewhere else!
Old May 11th 2017, 12:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Naaling
What did It say????
When you have made such an utter pig's breakfast of the quotes it is hard to know what in earth you are referring to!

Tip: every quote needs a "[QUOTË]" tag at the start, preferably including "=username" and the post number, so something like this: [QUOTË=Naaling;12250444] and a [/QUOTË] tag at the end. (The umlauts are only there to stop the forum software interpreting my examples as actual quote tags.)

If you start deleting or corrupting the quote start and end tags then you end up messing up not only the quotes in your own post but also those in anyone who quotes your post. .... Unless they manually fix the problem.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 11th 2017 at 1:02 pm.
Old May 11th 2017, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

carvoeiro.
This is an open thread in an open forum.
You have no control over how others choose to contribute, provided they stay within forum rules.
That is why you will never get what you want!
i know - but where someone adds a topic in a specific country i think the group as a whole has the rights to expect postings to relate to that country and topic- if not you quickly end up with all threads resorting to

Thread - anyone seen any nice flowers in Portugal - Portuguese topic - Portugal

first answer - no but we have nicer flowers in new fantastic Brexit UK

second answer - another stupid Brexit comment - flowers are nicer here
third -bre@it - fourth we won - youre a loser etc etc etc
thread dead - everyone hates everyone - britishexpats worse than useless

Last edited by Rosemary; May 11th 2017 at 6:05 pm.
Old May 11th 2017, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
When you have made such an utter pig's breakfast of the quotes it is hard to know what in earth you are referring to!

Tip: every quote needs a "[QUOTË]" tag at the start, preferably including "=username" and the post number, so something like this: [QUOTË=Naaling;12250444] and a [/QUOTË] tag at the end. If you start deleting the quote start and end tags then you end up messing up not only the quotes in your own post but also those in anyone who quotes your post. .... Unless they manually fix the problem.
Sorry My bad

I thought I just clicked to quote icon.
I have a ridiculous bluetooth keyboard with a mind of its own!
Old May 11th 2017, 1:10 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I pretty much ignore local politics; the language barrier makes this pretty much a non-choice.

A German friend of ours was really into it; went so far as to get nominated as his party's candidate for camara president, held rallies, and had his blond haired blue eyed posters around town.

Of course they got crushed by the status quo, but it was fun to see.

Our village is run by the biggest land owner, who was freguesia president after his father; when his term ran out, he put a relative in.

The camara president is known to be a bit... flexible. I think he drives an Escalade. Whatever it is, it's HUGE.
So why do people vote for leaders with doubtful credentials of honesty?
Because when you want to get your plan passed, the last thing you want is a local government who is always busy proving that they are not corrupt. The only way to do that is to deny applications and permits.

Of course leaders have to look out for their constituents too, and as long as they mostly perform their functions no one seems to mind if they mysteriously accrue wealth while in office.

Despite all the allegations, I've yet to meet anyone who paid a direct bribe here. And I do ask people I [if I know them well enough]. Corruption clearly exists, but they seem to keep it above ground level.

My OH is very good with language, but says she doesn't ever want to learn Portuguese. It's nice to not even be able to get involved in real politics and squabbles.
Bom dia, tudo bom?
Si.
Bem, not bom and sim, not si..... Good effort though

So someone who lives here and is "good with language" doesn't want to learn the 6th most widely spoken language in the world and interact with her real neighbours? That does seem a little odd to me. Portuguese is not difficult, it's a romance language and closer to Latin than Spanish .... once you get past the pronunciation. Not speaking the official language is one sure way to ensure you'll have issues with the everyday things needed in life, but hey, that's a choice.
Old May 11th 2017, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Bem, not bom and sim, not si..... Good effort though

So someone who lives here and is "good with language" doesn't want to learn the 6th most widely spoken language in the world and interact with her real neighbours? That does seem a little odd to me. Portuguese is not difficult, it's a romance language and closer to Latin than Spanish .... once you get past the pronunciation. Not speaking the official language is one sure way to ensure you'll have issues with the everyday things needed in life, but hey, that's a choice.
Other than my mother tongue, I can speak 3 other languages reasonably well but find Portuguese harder than all of them put together......... & pronunciation seems (in my area at least) to be totally different to spellings.

I try to learn a little more on a daily basis but as much as I'd like to be, I doubt I'll ever be properly fluent in Portuguese.
Old May 11th 2017, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

you really go out of your way to be a pain in the ass - i know its personal so just pack it in or put me on your ignore list - your constant attacks ruin every thread we both contribute to

its the Portuguese forum - theres a general european forum for open topics
i repeat this topic is aimed at anyone - who has a real interest in Portugal - living property owning -
thinking of coming here or merely curious about Portugal - of all races colours and creed - why on earth would other people have a serious interest in whats happening here
Carv, you know I own a Portuguese property as I've discussed my IMI, how I found the property, which bank I use, transfers of money etc...on this forum.

< snip >

I'm quite happy for you to have a thread that excludes people, I'd even be happy for you to have your own Sub forum where you're given the MOD's hat. I just felt the title is not polite and welcoming for newbies who want to land on here and find info.

But you chose to cut my quote so it did not reflect what was said in full. The rest of it said. That if the Mods are happy then others should accept it.

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK

It's up to the Mods whether they feel this is appropriate.

Simply titled "local politics (not EU/bre@it) would seem to have been as good a thread name. But it's up to the threads creator to set the name, and if Mods are happy, then others should accept it.

Last edited by BEVS; May 12th 2017 at 3:54 am. Reason: Move on.
Old May 11th 2017, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
Carv, you know I own a Portuguese property as I've discussed my IMI, how I found the property, which bank I use, transfers of money etc...on this forum.

Look through all my posts and show me where I've ever supported either Brexit or remain. Yet you constantly call me and others Brexit Morons. Even Not2old was called a Brexit Moron and he lives in flipping Canada!

I'm quite happy for you to have a thread that excludes people, I'd even be happy for you to have your own Sub forum where you're given the MOD's hat. I just felt the title is not polite and welcoming for newbies who want to land on here and find info.

But you chose to cut my quote so it did not reflect what was said in full. The rest of it said. That if the Mods are happy then others should accept it.
i already stated on this thread anyone with an interest of any kind in Portugal is most welcome to post here - i never said otherwise
your post now is ridiculous - more of the same old same old crap - i'm bored with it - everyone else is bored with it - you're like my ex constantly quoting nonesense that is from the distant past just to cause argument
i say again give it a rest -
everytime i look at a thread another personal attack - you really should get a life
Old May 11th 2017, 2:17 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Really couldn't care less.
You are always welcome to eat your popcorn somewhere else!
Nah, you're alright thanks. It's nice and warm here.

Old May 11th 2017, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

i already stated on this thread anyone with an interest of any kind in Portugal is most welcome to post here - i never said otherwise
your post now is ridiculous - more of the same old same old crap - i'm bored with it - everyone else is bored with it - you're like my ex constantly quoting nonesense that is from the distant past just to cause argument
i say again give it a rest -
everytime i look at a thread another personal attack - you really should get a life
Carv, you're the one that edited my quote, so it was out of context. My original quote stated the thread can be called what the creator wishes as long as the MOD's are happy with it.

Other than highlight your editing of my quote, there was no attack at all. Yet you go on about your ex, "you should get a life", etc.

I have PM'd you previously to compliment a passage you'd written, there's no personal malice towards you.
Old May 11th 2017, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

simply give it up - get a life - or not - i really don't care
just give up on posting nonsense against me
lmao - not personal - you've even started putting my name in postings
PLEASE - stop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.