British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Portugals health service (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/portugals-health-service-600308/)

deecee Mar 27th 2009 9:00 am

Portugals health service

My wife and I are seriously considering moving to Portugal permanently, however she is on medication for blood pressure etc, which require repeat prescriptions when necessary, and being in the OAP brigade these are supplied free of charge in the UK.
Her concern is the availability of this service in Portugal, as, on the only occasion we had to purchase these drugs over there, they where very expensive.
Can anyone advise what the health system in Portugal can provide, ie do they have similar provisions for OAPs ?, is there any sort of reciprocal agrement with the NHS in the UK for the provision of medical care for expats ?.

We live in hope. deecee

TaviraTrog Mar 28th 2009 4:43 am

Re: Portugals health service

Once you have moved you can register for the Portuguese health service and get prescription drugs here. I haven't yet filled in a PT tax return but I gather you can claim this against tax.

Cleri Mar 28th 2009 4:58 am

Originally Posted by TaviraTrog (Post 7429094)
Once you have moved you can register for the Portuguese health service and get prescription drugs here. I haven't yet filled in a PT tax return but I gather you can claim this against tax.

You still have to pay for the drugs tho'...a lesser amount with doc's prescription granted.

j1mbo Mar 28th 2009 7:32 am

It has been known that if you are using a private clinic, the doctor will use the number on your E111 card (you do have an E111, don't you?) to put on the prescription, thereby gaining you the same discount that you would get as a person registered within the Portuguese health care system. How long they might do this and how legal it is, is anybody's guess.

Jon_D Mar 28th 2009 9:35 am

I suppose it depends what drugs you require. I simply took the empty packet of UK Warfarin tablets to the local chemist and they sold me another for 5 euros. The smallest warfarin (PT Varfrin) in PT is 5mgs and comes in a pack of 60, so we had to cut each in half to meet her medication.

league Mar 29th 2009 9:05 am

cutting up a 5mg tablet for me would be difficult as I take 1.75 mg also would be interested how people get on with getting the blood test.

I have asked twice at the centre da saude in Tavira and told to go to Faro hospital if there is somewhere in Tavira to get the blood test done without paying privately I would appreciate the info.

regards league

masterjoiner Mar 29th 2009 8:41 pm

We have also had help from a private doctor by producing E1-11

Blood tests should have cost 190euros - & we paid 7euros

very nice man..!

Big H

TaviraTrog Mar 29th 2009 9:20 pm

My wife had a blood test at a clinic in Tavira down by the river. She had a prescription from her doctor at the Centro de Saude and it only cost her 5€. If you go private she thinks it's about 40€.

masterjoiner Mar 30th 2009 12:17 am

yes we paid E35 for an appointment & E7 for blood test...

It saved a bit of messing about...

He told me I have the blood pressure of an 18 year old!!! - Id go back just for that....haha

Henry

steppitoe Mar 30th 2009 2:47 am

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/...ea_benefit.asp

Getting long-term Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance, widow’s benefits, bereavement benefits or State Pension when you are living in another EEA country
You may be able to get one of the above benefits from the UK when living in another EEA country. If so, you may also be able to get healthcare paid for by the UK for yourself and for any members of your family who depend on you and who live with you.

Note: Any medical treatment you need will be given by the health services in the country where you live. Contact The Pension Service, to ask for form E121 as soon as possible before you go. You may need a separate E121 form for yourself and each member of your family. When you get them, give them to the authorities who run the sickness insurance scheme in the country where you live.

If you and any members of your family visit any other EEA country you will need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to cover any necessary medical treatment if you visit another EEA member state. You should get one from the sickness insurance authorities in the country in which you live.

If your UK benefit stops for any reason, you will no longer get the cost of healthcare paid for by the UK. Also, the UK might not give you healthcare cover if:

you get a pension from the country where you live or go to live; and
you can get healthcare cover under that country’s rules.
It is possible that you may have to pay into a sickness insurance scheme in the other country. The sickness insurance authorities there will be able to tell you if you have to do this. If you can, ask them about this before you go to live there.

Note: If you are going to live in Spain, you will be charged for treatment if you do not have form E121. If this happens, you may be able to get a refund. But only if you tell the local Spanish sickness office before treatment that you wish to be treated under the EEA rules and that you have applied for form E121. To get a refund, you must make a claim to the Instituto Nacional de Seguridad Social (INSS) when you have your form E121.

Until your form E121 has been registered at the local sickness insurance office, you are not covered for healthcare. There is sometimes a delay before you are issued with a residence permit in Spain. The sickness insurance authorities may refuse to register your E121 until you have the permit. Therefore, where you are submitting the form E121 for registration, but the application for residencia has not yet been approved, you should submit a copy of the residencia application form. Temporary healthcare would be provided until a full decision on the residencia application is made. Even then, they may not backdate the registration. You may wish to take out private medical insurance to cover you during this period.

deecee Mar 31st 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks to everyone for their contribution, especially "Steppitoe" who seems to have a wealth of knowledge on this subject. I shall now be able to contact our local pensions department armed with some knowledge of the documents required and the procedures necessary to make the most of EEC regulations.
Best Regards, deecee

league Apr 1st 2009 10:40 am

update on blood test,

I have now been recommended to the laboratory in porta nova for the inr test for warfarin test cost 3euros called back for the result following day.

Had to show eu health card , warfarin was 5euros but simvastatin which I also take very expensive charged 28 euros for 60 had to go to the doctor for a prescription charged 5 euros by doctor seen straight away this was at the health clinic in in Porta Nova.

As health centre at Cente da saude in tavira had a very long waiting time to be seen.

regards league

loonytoon Apr 1st 2009 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by league (Post 7443368)
update on blood test,

I have now been recommended to the laboratory in porta nova for the inr test for warfarin test cost 3euros called back for the result following day.

Had to show eu health card , warfarin was 5euros but simvastatin which I also take very expensive charged 28 euros for 60 had to go to the doctor for a prescription charged 5 euros by doctor seen straight away this was at the health clinic in in Porta Nova.

As health centre at Cente da saude in tavira had a very long waiting time to be seen.

regards league

how is less than 50c a day expensive? here in UK a months supply on prescription (presuming you pay prescription charges) would cost you £7.20

jeff

scots-pats Jul 13th 2009 8:33 am

Originally Posted by league (Post 7443368)
update on blood test,

regards league

Hi there! As I have just started on Warfarin and am coming to Tavira for 4 weeks in August, I have been told to get blood tests weekly. Would appreciate it if you could let me know exactly where in Porta Nova the laboratory is.
Thanks, Scots-pats.

pouty Jul 14th 2009 5:49 am

Hi,

My son and I are moving to Portugal on the 29th August, we are both on medication that we HAVE to have and like you we get them free in the UK. You can apply for a E121 which entitles you to the same treatment that a Portugese person receives. You have to get in touch with the Pensions Dept and speak to them. As I believe once you get to Portugal you then register with a Doctor ( hard to do because there is a waiting list ) or go Private ( approx 30 euros ) they will issue you with a prescription. Your meds will be alot cheaper. One lady who lives in Portugal told me that they just use the E111 which you can apply for online.

Hope this helps,
Linda