Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portugal vs Spain - article

Portugal vs Spain - article

Old Dec 19th 2023, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Portugal vs Spain - article

https://www.ft.com/content/1e7b561e-...2-730e8061a0e9

If you get a paywall, just google it and you usually get in that way via a search result
Old Dec 19th 2023, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portugal vs Spain - article

Yes, I read that - very interesting, especially the language part.
Old Dec 19th 2023, 12:47 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
https://www.ft.com/content/1e7b561e-...2-730e8061a0e9

If you get a paywall, just google it and you usually get in that way via a search result
Poorly written article by someone paid to use better judgement..... it is a superficial tidbit with factual inaccuracies.

As someone said, the article could better have been entitled "FT Journalist surprised that Portugal and Spain are different countries"
Old Dec 19th 2023, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Poorly written article by someone paid to use better judgement..... it is a superficial tidbit with factual inaccuracies.

As someone said, the article could better have been entitled "FT Journalist surprised that Portugal and Spain are different countries"
When we arrived in Portugal and registered at the local Finanzas my wife presented her Spanish passport. The official did not hestitate " Bah!! Spain is not a country - it's a collection of different tribes and languages . Portugal is a country with one people".
Old Dec 19th 2023, 6:15 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
When we arrived in Portugal and registered at the local Finanzas my wife presented her Spanish passport. The official did not hestitate " Bah!! Spain is not a country - it's a collection of different tribes and languages . Portugal is a country with one people".
....... and? Ask the Galegos, Basques and Catalans how they identify.
Old Dec 19th 2023, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

And you have immediately proved the point of the article. Backs to each other.
Old Dec 19th 2023, 7:33 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Shanorme
And you have immediately proved the point of the article. Backs to each other.
A Portuguese lesson..... translate "De Espanha, nem bom vento, nem bom casamento" and that will help to explain the reasoning - the wind is hot and dry and dynastic intermarriage was a disaster. History forms attitudes and causes odd frictions - look to the north of Ireland for proof of that!
Old Dec 19th 2023, 7:48 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

There might be a generational aspect to it, as well.

Nothing much about the article chimes with me and I'd be surprised if any animosity manifests itself in Algarve - certainly not as close as Tavira is to Spain. There's a very free flow of nationals of both countries across the borders near the frontiers and its all very welcome. Back in the day, smuggling both ways was a way of life in the border towns, cross-border relations were cordial and marriages between nationals of the 2 countries commonplace.

There's only been the very (very) occasional friction at government level between the pair since I've been resident and that's Lisbon / Madrid relations in any case. Bit removed fromwhat goes on at a local level.

The article struck me as a bit of a filler about nothing in particular with nothing of note in it. Bit sloppy, really - I'm surprised at the FT for publishing it.
Old Dec 19th 2023, 8:18 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Red Eric
There might be a generational aspect to it, as well.

Nothing much about the article chimes with me and I'd be surprised if any animosity manifests itself in Algarve - certainly not as close as Tavira is to Spain. There's a very free flow of nationals of both countries across the borders near the frontiers and its all very welcome. Back in the day, smuggling both ways was a way of life in the border towns, cross-border relations were cordial and marriages between nationals of the 2 countries commonplace.

There's only been the very (very) occasional friction at government level between the pair since I've been resident and that's Lisbon / Madrid relations in any case. Bit removed fromwhat goes on at a local level.

The article struck me as a bit of a filler about nothing in particular with nothing of note in it. Bit sloppy, really - I'm surprised at the FT for publishing it.
I agree with your last statement, but our experiences differ. Of course, SWMBO is an Alfacinha..... and they still don't even consider the Algarvios as "real" Portuguese!!