Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Portugal Temporary Residente (QR etc) and 90 in 180 day issues!!

Portugal Temporary Residente (QR etc) and 90 in 180 day issues!!

Old Aug 29th 2021, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

offthepiste is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Portugal Temporary Residente (QR etc) and 90 in 180 day issues!!

Hi Rambling archer,

Yup, was aware of clock not ticking in Pt as well as HMRC... but thank you.

It sounsd like, from the various replies, that if one shows ones QR (or Biometric card, hopefully soon) say on entry via France or the Netherlands, etc. they do not stamp your passport.

So I wonder if you stay overnight, say in a Spanish hotel on route, I assume that the hotel records your passport details and registers them with local constabulary as is the norm even before brexit. Therefore, wonder if one should also show the QR code to the hotelier or not - would not do any harm - but I suspect one will just get a shrug (especially ion its France) and a scratch of the head?

Even if your stay is registered with the police I wonder if they currently join up the dots with various countries border controls?

If they do not, then potentially one could avoid the clock ticking completely and travel around the EU. I suspect, that is probably the current situation ... however, with the introductions of new systems, say in 2022, whether things will be totally joined up.

Cheers
Old Aug 29th 2021, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Portugal Temporary Residente (QR etc) and 90 in 180 day issues!!

Originally Posted by offthepiste
Hi Rambling archer,
Even if your stay is registered with the police I wonder if they currently join up the dots with various countries border controls?

If they do not, then potentially one could avoid the clock ticking completely and travel around the EU. I suspect, that is probably the current situation ... however, with the introductions of new systems, say in 2022, whether things will be totally joined up.

Cheers
At the moment, it seems police and border control are looking out for undesirables rather than tracking people. There are so many variables with people traveling around, only time will tell what will happen. If I travelling alone in the rest of Schengen, I'm limited to 90/180 but, if with my EU wife then no time limit so, how will a hotel registration differentiate between those alone or accompanied? Virtually impossible in our case, her EU citizen card is still in maiden name.