Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The Portugal Saloon

The Portugal Saloon

Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Re: The Portugal Saloon

While I'm here....I often hear people say the word "pleasure" or a similar sounding word when finishing a conversation. What does this mean and how is it spelled?
Old Apr 26th 2017, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
While I'm here....I often hear people say the word "pleasure" or a similar sounding word when finishing a conversation. What does this mean and how is it spelled?
The word "prazer" as you rightly wrote = pleasure
It basically means it was enjoyable talking to you , it is also common used when you meet somebody for the first time & shake hands , they will just say prazer - as "nice to meet you"
This is just two off the very many way's the word prazer is used in the PT

Hope this is off help
Old Apr 26th 2017, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ingles
The word "prazer" as you rightly wrote = pleasure
It basically means it was enjoyable talking to you , it is also common used when you meet somebody for the first time & shake hands , they will just say prazer - as "nice to meet you"
This is just two off the very many way's the word prazer is used in the PT

Hope this is off help
And if they say it that you should say "igualmente"
Old Apr 26th 2017, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: The Portugal Saloon

Originally Posted by gedscottish
And if they say it that you should say "igualmente"
I don't know why, but I'm wondering whether you really should say "igualmente"

But having looked it up, I apologise for my doubts GedScottish, it means "equally"
Old Apr 26th 2017, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
I don't know why, but I'm wondering whether you really should say "igualmente"

But having looked it up, I apologise for my doubts GedScottish, it means "equally"
Yes it's pretty much the only response to give someone if the say "foi um prazer conhecer-te/se" (often shortened to "foi um prazer" or even just "prazer"). They may also say to you "Muito prazer em conhecer", whatever, if you hear them say "prazer" you'll know what they're on about Ukkram
Old Apr 26th 2017, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered if the really good posts could be linked to in a "obituary of good info" from a READ ME msg.
Otherwise they can quickly disappear on to pages x,y & z.

Would mean you Mods n Rockers would have to choose them and add them....
Old Apr 27th 2017, 7:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The question about threads closing has been moved to Site Feedback.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 7:29 am
`

I wondered if the really good posts could be linked to in a "obituary of good info" from a READ ME msg.
Otherwise they can quickly disappear on to pages x,y & z.

Would mean you Mods n Rockers would have to choose them and add them....
Do you mean in this way?.

That could be possible if Rosemary also feels it a good thought for this forum at this time. It would be member driven within the site rules. Moderator notices excepted.

It would be from threads ( topics) not singular posts.

The Read Me is not a message. It is a stickied thread ( topic) to the top of the forum.

Are you using the mobile skin or viewing BE on full screen?

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 27th 2017 at 7:32 am.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 7:44 am
`

There seems to have been a bit of confusion over who are the moderators and the like. To me, myself and Rosemary are right there where needs be ,but I do realise that not all page down and some may not see using the hopeless mobile skin. PLEASE switch away from that.

This will help.

Moderators , moderate their given forums. They are your go-to person.

Super-moderators are there to help out and keep forums clean. A bit like road sweepers. I know, I was one once.

They are there to alert mods of specific country forums to problems. Sweep spam up and believe me there is a whole lot of this type of rubbish out there. Sideline issues until specific country mods wake up or in the case of a bun fight which gets a case of the pox and nasty, call a halt until the mod gets in to sort it out.

An admin like me. Well I get the monster mop and bucket whilst balancing on Survivor type scales.

Anyone with an issue. You go to your mod. For Portugal that is Rosemary. Anyone with a query about mod actions. Speak to me.

Usually Portugal is peaceable so there has not been the need before.

I do hope this helps.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Do you mean in this way?.
Yes

Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:25 am
`

Yes

OK. Rosemary and I can do. A thread will be stuck to the top of the forum and closed.

Everytime there is an informative / helpful / factual thread ( topic) re Portugal a post with a link to said thread will be added to the stickied thread.

Does that make sense ? This is how it works for France forum.

It will be the Portugal forum members that decide when a thread ( topic) and its posts are a suitable candidate.

Simply PM Rosemary the link.

HTH
Rosemary and BEVS
Old Apr 28th 2017, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

The general impression being that immigration for UK nationals will become much more difficult in 2 years, there may be a surge as people try to beat the deadline.

Remember that even if immigration to Europe is no longer possible, a UK citizen can always return; the door out might be closing, but the door home remains open. All the more reason for someone to give it a try.
And of course movement the other way will have similar pressures.

I've even met some people [Canadian] who adopted their parent's UK nationalities in order to be able to move to Portugal.

The [alleged] recovery of the housing market might also spur people into taking the plunge; I don't understand why, but when property is under-priced people are afraid to buy. As it gets expensive, everyone wants a piece.

So it's a good time to get those FAQs up there. I think we're going to be busy for a while.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:08 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

We have a friend who has a small agency, she has never been busier.
There is now a shortage of new quality properties in the Algarve coming onto the market.
As you suggest it's almost a self fulfilling prophecy, as prices rise so does the interest from new buyers.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

The UK housing market has started to rise again - at least in some areas
i still look at the evening standard - my favourite and largely unbiased UK paper
The gist of the house price increases in London - which has a population equal to the whole of Portugal was that over the last 6 months the weakness of the pound fuelled a big increase in foreign buyers looking for long term investments as their own economies slowed down that in turn made it more difficult for UK buyers
We've spoken to some Algarve agents this year with a view to finding our final resting place here and i keep being told its the busiest time they've had for years
I keep a shortlist of houses of interest to me and several of them have sold since the beginning of the year - apparently there are still UK buyers but also many French and Scandinavians
i also see evidence of the usual 'crackpot' element in the Algarve - because i've been here holiday and permanent homes for many years i see this every time there is a whisper of house increases
Houses that haven-t sold for years suddenly put back on the market at 100k - even 300k more - and houses new to the market with 'gold fever' hugely overpriced that will sit around for years
but i think at this time anything nice and realistically priced is likely to sell

Last edited by carvoeiro; Apr 28th 2017 at 8:41 am.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

People truely are sheep. They do what everyone else does as it's safer in numbers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.