Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The Portugal Saloon

The Portugal Saloon

Old May 7th 2017, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Portugal Saloon

What time do peeps think the French election results will be called? � And how close will it be?
Old May 7th 2017, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

i thought the topic here was banannas

i'll call the result
le pen lost - someone else won - another victory for the evil uncaring undemocratic demonic EU and its minions
and 3 cheers for that
Old May 7th 2017, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

polls close at 6pm uk - first results when i was living there came about 1 hour later
most of the results will be in by midnight - the result if not all of the detail should be known by then

we really should all keep our fingers crossed - this is the most significant political event in Europe of our generation - a factor of 1000 times more important to the world we know than Brexit was
Old May 7th 2017, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
i'll call the result
le pen lost - someone else won - another victory for the evil uncaring undemocratic demonic EU and its minions
and 3 cheers for that

You should get a job on the BBC election special debate.
Old May 7th 2017, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
You should get a job on the BBC election special debate.
make mine the empty chair next to may and corbyn

at least the French have the bottle to debate - some of the debate has been fantastic - le pen is as mad as a hatter - she makes Trump look like an honest hard working trustworthy man of the people
Old May 7th 2017, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carvoeiro

at least the French have the bottle to debate - some of the debate has been fantastic - le pen is as mad as a hatter - she makes Trump look like an honest hard working trustworthy man of the people
Are you implying that President Trump isn't?
Old May 8th 2017, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Are you implying that President Trump isn't?
he is a demon dressed in a 'trump suit'
Old May 10th 2017, 8:04 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone notice Salvador Sobral making it to the final of the Eurovision song contest last night?

The only contender not singing in English
Old May 10th 2017, 8:56 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Did anyone notice Salvador Sobral making it to the final of the Eurovision song contest last night?

The only contender not singing in English
.... and a real singer (if somewhat eccentric) with a song that shows the musicality and romance of the Portuguese language - written by his sister.

Se um dia alguém perguntar por mim (If one day someone asks about me)
Diz que vivi p’ra te amar (Tell them I lived to love you)
Antes de ti, só existi (Before you, I only existed)
Cansado e sem nada p’ra dar (Tired and with nothing to give)

Meu bem, ouve as minhas preces (My dear, listen to my prayers)
Peço que regresses, que me voltes a querer (I beg you to return, to want me again)
Eu sei que não se ama sozinho (I know that one can’t love alone)
Talves devagarinho possas voltar a aprender (Maybe slowly you might learn again)

Meu bem, ouve as minhas preces (My dear, listen to my prayers)
Peço que regresses, que me voltes a querer (I beg you to return, to want me again)
Eu sei que não se ama sozinho (I know that one can’t love alone)
Talves devagarinho possas voltar a aprender (Maybe slowly you might learn again)

Se o teu coração não quiser ceder (If your heart doesn’t wish to give in)
Não sentir paixão, não quiser sofrer (Not to feel passion, not to suffer)
Sem fazer planos do que virá depois (Without making plans of what will come after)
O meu coração pode amar pelos dois (My heart can love for the both of us)

The song has had a good reception The world is falling in love with Portugal’s best ever Eurovision entry | Metro News but fingers crossed he is well enough to sing it in the final

Beautiful song, but I kept thinking of 1940s B&W movies.......
Old May 10th 2017, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Do the Portuguese have Eurovision parties like some do in the Blighty ?
Old May 11th 2017, 12:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by macliam
.... and a real singer (if somewhat eccentric) with a song that shows the musicality and romance of the Portuguese language - written by his sister.
Here you go . A refreshing change I feel.

Old May 11th 2017, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Will be an interesting competition, I wonder if it will be about the songs, or if recent politics play a large part in it.
Old May 11th 2017, 10:04 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Will be an interesting competition, I wonder if it will be about the songs, or if recent politics play a large part in it.
Politics always plays a big part...... but Portugal could do OK there as they're not really alligned with anyone and for sheer musicality and performance this years performance is hard to beat.

The semi final was amazing - you could hear a pin drop when he sang. Much chat about Fado (which this isn't) and Jazz (which this isn't) but it does have a Brazilian feel and echoes of Bossa Nova perhaps. Salvador is "an artist" who says the peformance and music only serve to support the poem (lyrics). Makes a change over those for whom performance is everything......

But there will always be haters.............
Old May 13th 2017, 10:44 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you who have come into the saloon looking for the conversation about learning Portugese I noticed that one of you mentioned that it would be a good idea for this to be a separate thread so I have created one called The Portugese Language. Hope that this is of help to you all.

Rosemary
Old May 13th 2017, 11:14 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Rosemary
For those of you who have come into the saloon looking for the conversation about learning Portugese I noticed that one of you mentioned that it would be a good idea for this to be a separate thread so I have created one called The Portugese Language. Hope that this is of help to you all.

Rosemary
Thanks - I thought I'd had one too many......!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.