Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Pool reel and cover in Algarve/Spain

Pool reel and cover in Algarve/Spain

Old May 29th 2018, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

mashut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pool reel and cover in Algarve/Spain

Does anybody know where to buy a budget reel system and cover for the swimming pool in Algarve area or Spain? I have contacted our local shop and they offered the stainless steel roller for 700 EUR which I consider too expensive. They don't have any budget options. Maybe you guys know where to buy cheaper?
Old May 29th 2018, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all
Default Re: Pool reel and cover in Algarve/Spain

Originally Posted by mashut
Does anybody know where to buy a budget reel system and cover for the swimming pool in Algarve area or Spain? I have contacted our local shop and they offered the stainless steel roller for 700 EUR which I consider too expensive. They don't have any budget options. Maybe you guys know where to buy cheaper?
For a roller and cover that doesn’t sound like a bad price. If just for the roller then that’s something else.

I bought my roller and cover from Spain, but Australian made. Cost depends on pool size and how long you want it to last.

You can buy a budget system in the Algarve for a few hundred but chances are you may only get a couple of years from it. It’s all down to UV stability of the cover, I replaced mine after nearly 10 years which I thought was OK.

Some covers also add heat gain to the pool so minimise heating requirements.
Old May 30th 2018, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. It's only the roller that costs 700 EUR + VAT 23% (the cover costs 300 EUR + VAT). I have found this company from Spain:
internationalcoverpool.com/en/19-tube-81-mm
Their rollers are much cheaper. I think I would buy a roller from Spain and the cover from the local shop.
If you know other companies from Spain that sell budget rollers, please let me know.

Last edited by mashut; May 30th 2018 at 7:37 pm.
Old May 31st 2018, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply. It's only the roller that costs 700 EUR + VAT 23% (the cover costs 300 EUR + VAT). I have found this company from Spain:
internationalcoverpool.com/en/19-tube-81-mm
Their rollers are much cheaper. I think I would buy a roller from Spain and the cover from the local shop.
If you know other companies from Spain that sell budget rollers, please let me know.
How is the pool purified? Added chlorine or salt electrolysis? If it's the latter then the water will contain a small amount of dissolved salt - which is lethal to ferrous metals - so a stainless steel reel is a better option if you want it to last and not rot.
Old May 31st 2018, 11:46 am
Just Joined

It's chlorine, I'll ask the Spanish which metal it is from. I've also seen budget stainless steel rollers in Amazon. I cannot understand why stainless steel rollers are so expensive in Algarve...
Old May 31st 2018, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's chlorine, I'll ask the Spanish which metal it is from. I've also seen budget stainless steel rollers in Amazon. I cannot understand why stainless steel rollers are so expensive in Algarve...
Mind you, chlorine is also an enemy of ferrous metals so painted steel will not last as long as Stainless.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Ok, thanks for your reply, I'll note that!
Old May 31st 2018, 12:21 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends what quality of stainless steel it is.
Marine quality is what you need.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot!
Old May 31st 2018, 12:39 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

you require 316 grade stainless steel, any of its variants would be excellent but 316n is the best.

Here everything in metal on houses is either that or bronze or zinc.

Make sure that any screws etc you use are the same grade or you’ll get electrolytic corrosion.

Obviously plastics need good UV resistance, we tend to use metallised surfaces for pool covers as our sun/heat is extreme but it reflects heat back, might be too cold where you are.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for advise. Can you please recommend any shops with stainless steel rollers here in Portugal or in Spain?
Old May 31st 2018, 12:45 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I used that well known portugese shop www.amazon.com - shipped to the caribbean from the us.

I think you’ll find most actually come from china, but its the americans and aussies who have the most pools/best prices and options.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot, however, it is expensive to import from non-EU countries to Portugal. If I'm not mistaken, you'll have to pay VAT, export taxes and other fees. So I'd prefer to order from Spain or Portugal.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:59 pm

Either you pay the import duty and vat, or the person you bought it from paid the duty and vat, no difference, unless its made locally, they might get cheaper shipping.

see what it costs in total, in the uk and the caribbean buying ‘luxury’ stuff like pool kit is often a lot cheaper in the us, but yes, shipping can have a big impact. You also sometimes just cant get the good stuff locally. Ultimately research and compare. Some selkers ship and some dont but they arent huge to ship - 6 ft long package?

https://www.amazon.com/Cortile-Swimming-Stainless-Inground-Aluminum/dp/B07D5T6LRQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1527771242&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=stainless+pool+cover+reel&psc=1