Reload this Page >

Planning permission

Planning permission

Old May 12th 2013, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Robbersdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning permission

Hi

I am looking to purchase a plot in he coimbra area. It has an old structure on the land which I understand was used as storage for the main farm house (which has been purchased and refurbished). The estate agent tells me that I will have no problem obtaining planning permission to knock down the existing structure and build a house on it. Is there anyway I can check with the local council to see if planning has been refused in the past? I would also be grateful if anyone can give me general advice in the planning area.

Many thanks
Old May 12th 2013, 6:35 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning permission

You need to check with the local authority ,DO NOT under any circumstances take the word of the agent.
Also in many cases the new structure is not permitted to be larger than the original.
The local council should be able to help you.

Last edited by Cleri; May 12th 2013 at 6:37 pm.
Old May 12th 2013, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

get a copy of the caderneta - house document - if it says the land the building is on is Urbana - urban then you might get permission - if not then its very unlikely.
Either way go to the planning department in your local Camera and ask - there will be a district plan - showing where development can take place they decide - not agents, sellers etc
estate agents often mean well, but aren't experts in anything other than selling properties and occasionally are completely useless and every now and then completely crooked - never ever ever give them any money - NEVER.
Old May 14th 2013, 2:09 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbersdog
Hi

I am looking to purchase a plot in he coimbra area. It has an old structure on the land which I understand was used as storage for the main farm house (which has been purchased and refurbished). The estate agent tells me that I will have no problem obtaining planning permission to knock down the existing structure and build a house on it. Is there anyway I can check with the local council to see if planning has been refused in the past? I would also be grateful if anyone can give me general advice in the planning area.

Many thanks
Yep, that sounds about right. They want to make a sale and will tell you all they think they want you to hear. Go with Cleri's advice and check with the local council. Even then that could take many months, however don't get impatient and make a rash decision for a quick buy. It'll likely come back and haunt you later.
Old May 14th 2013, 7:34 am
Just Joined

That's great, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll look into it with the local authority. Also does €500.00 per square metre sound about right for a new build? I just need an rough idea on building costs.
Many thanks
Old May 14th 2013, 8:00 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

E500 will probably get you a basic build, t all depends on the quality of your doors. windows, sanitaryware, ktchen etc etc.
Old May 14th 2013, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

You would want nearer 700 or even 750 to get a quality, proper build. Make sure the footings are included. Sometimes they're charged as "extras"

You can check out the builders too. I'll root out the link later.
Old May 14th 2013, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

gekkoportugal.com

and then also ask google. There is a particular site for checking builders are registered etc.
Old May 14th 2013, 9:08 am

As far as builders go...Personally I would ask around for recommendations and physically go and look at work they have already done,and most importantly,find out how long it took and if they stuck to the time scale.
Also,don't part with any large amounts of money in advance
Old May 14th 2013, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

We're getting quotes around 500, basic build with very basic bathroom / kitchen , cheap tiles , in the Alentejo = better to source all of the materials yourself (this was the advice of our architect), basically he said if you go direct the builders merchant will charge for example 1 euro per block + 1 euro delivery - go to the builder he'll charge the same plus another euro for his delivery + another markup of 1 euro for his profit on the materials
Old May 14th 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by steve01
We're getting quotes around 500, basic build with very basic bathroom / kitchen , cheap tiles , in the Alentejo = better to source all of the materials yourself (this was the advice of our architect), basically he said if you go direct the builders merchant will charge for example 1 euro per block + 1 euro delivery - go to the builder he'll charge the same plus another euro for his delivery + another markup of 1 euro for his profit on the materials
Yes! I bought all the materials for the projects,merchants were quite happy to give me the same discounts as the builders get.
Old May 16th 2013, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Excellent! Thanks again for the advice! Im going to make an offer with a clause in the promissory contract, which will be held by my solicitor and will be refunded if the planning is not granted. Fingers crossed! Oh, and can I get the name of the builder merchants you use Cleri? Cheers, Kris
Old May 16th 2013, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

you do know that planning here can take anything between 1-12+ months ?
Old May 16th 2013, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Robbersdog
Excellent! Thanks again for the advice! Im going to make an offer with a clause in the promissory contract, which will be held by my solicitor and will be refunded if the planning is not granted. Fingers crossed! Oh, and can I get the name of the builder merchants you use Cleri? Cheers, Kris
Several,but a long way away from Coimbra.
Old May 17th 2013, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Also have in your mind - the Portuguese don't work fast - expect your architect to take months to produce the drawings + the engineering drawings and inspections to take more months.
without a single problem i'd expect it to take 12-18 months to build in Portugal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.