British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Place to rent, one man and his dog. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/place-rent-one-man-his-dog-935133/)

SteveWiFi Oct 4th 2020 1:09 pm

Place to rent, one man and his dog.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum with first post so please be gentle!

I am looking to move over to Portugal before Xmas, most likely in the first / second week of December. I am trying to find a place to rent for me and the dog (with a spare bedroom for all the freeloading :D friends I never knew I had until everyone found out I was moving to Portugal). I am struggling to find any dog friendly places to rent, have tried a number of property websites with no luck. The only thing I have found that is dog friendly is a static park home / caravan park down in the Algarve that has both second hand caravans and plots available - although I'm not hugely keen on residential park home / caravan living

Anyone know of a long term place to rent with min two bedrooms? This will give me some time to travel around, decide where I want to be and find somewhere to buy.

One of my main requirements is a really good broadband connection

As I understand it as long as I am in Portugal on the 31st and can prove it I can claim residency as long as its completed by the end of June next year?.

Thanks

toots sweet Oct 4th 2020 1:22 pm

Re: Place to rent, one man and his dog.

What area are you looking for ? try here for starters. https://www.longtermlettings.com/fin...gal/pets/pets/
Just did a search and if you are looking for the Algarve,there is a company called Tranqui Escapes.

qianh Oct 4th 2020 2:13 pm

Did you look at the usual portal site like idealista.pt? Or try airbnb then negotiate longer rental period. If you plan to register residency it’s best to have proper rental contract tho.

campos Oct 5th 2020 7:29 am

Try joining the FB groups for rentals in the area you're interested in. Post your requirements and maybe you'll get lucky there.

Rambling archer Oct 5th 2020 11:34 am

There was another post on here not so long ago and some pointers were given then too. It is interesting that by law mention of pet-friendly or otherwise is not a criteria officially for rentability of a property, however it can be the personal choice of the owner not to take pets ... it is more a question of finding something you think will suit you and asking specifically to the Agent whether or not your dog will be refused. I say Agent, as I personally would not recommend dealing personally with rental owners without at least an introduction from a reputable Estate Agent. You should probably go for a 3-month rental, renewable, with a contract signed by both parties, initially while you look about to buy, or for longer term rental.
Incidentally, have you read up on the various other posts about your taxation and social security situation - working, retired, working for UK company, etc etc etc?

SteveWiFi Oct 5th 2020 1:36 pm

I have looked at most of the property sites I can find, and emailed quite a few of them. Problem I have found is many of the ones saying dog friendly really don't want dogs. Found the perfect place (from the pictures) which said dog friendly but when I contacted the agent he said no pets.

Ideally I want at least 12 months rental as a base for residency application although I wont be their much as planning on driving camper around Portugal. In an ideal World looking for somewhere north Portugal as bit cooler for the dog.

It is looking more and more likely I am going to end up buy a static park home caravan or at least a plot to stick one on. Been looking at calico-park in the Algarve - and then selling the thing once I have found a house. This would at least give me cheap base to start from.

Also trying to find other park home sites to look at!

Red Eric Oct 6th 2020 7:42 am

Originally Posted by SteveWiFi (Post 12918850)
In an ideal World looking for somewhere north Portugal as bit cooler for the dog.

Not related to your main concern of the moment but as you've mentioned it ....

A lot of people seem to think Portugal is very hot in the south and progressively cooler going north. Whilst there are certainly differences in climate, that does not hold very true - the centre and north of the country, especially once a little away from the coast, get very hot indeed in summer and (in the case of the north, at least - can't speak for the centre as I haven't been there in high summer) also very humid and oppressive for the larger part of the day.

The coastal strip benefits from fresher air even when the temperatures are high, although generally they're more moderate. Visitors who've only ever been to the coast and may have experienced a sea mist or a bit of drizzle during the summer season could be forgiven for thinking it's always a lot cooler but we frequently get the chart-toppers up this way.

bons Oct 6th 2020 7:57 am

Unfortunately, I also have a pet to fit in somewhere.

SteveWiFi Oct 6th 2020 1:38 pm

Also would prefer to be in the north as I will have to drive back and fourth between Portugal and the UK every month for the first couple of years. Will look at pretty much anything accommodation wise right now! To be honest my main requirement is to get out of the UK before Boris takes us up **** creek.

EU.flag Oct 6th 2020 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by SteveWiFi (Post 12919300)
Also would prefer to be in the north as I will have to drive back and fourth between Portugal and the UK every month for the first couple of years. Will look at pretty much anything accommodation wise right now! To be honest my main requirement is to get out of the UK before Boris takes us up **** creek.

That is long drive (1000+ miles) every month, are you sure you'll be able to coupe with it? It can snow big time in Europe in winter and not to mention shorter daylight.
Also, hope you are aware of absence limitation, especially if you got less then 5y residence.

SteveWiFi Oct 6th 2020 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by EU.flag (Post 12919346)
That is long drive (1000+ miles) every month, are you sure you'll be able to coupe with it? It can snow big time in Europe in winter and not to mention shorter daylight.
Also, hope you are aware of absence limitation, especially if you got less then 5y residence.

I don't mind the drive, I live in Plymouth and for just over 6 months I drove to East Sussex and back 5 days a week so I could read my daughter a bedtime story every night. Its part of the reason I want to be in the north, so I have a bit less driving? I would fly back and forth but I have my dog and I pretty much don't go anywhere without him. Most of the trips back to the UK will be for less than a week at a time

Absence limitation? I was under the impression it was minimum of 1 week in the first year and then two weeks each year in Portugal although I still expect to spend at least 6 months in Portugal each year. I do plan on setting up a businesses in Portugal next year which I believe also gives me some leeway.

Red Eric Oct 7th 2020 5:54 am

Originally Posted by SteveWiFi (Post 12919381)
Absence limitation? I was under the impression it was minimum of 1 week in the first year and then two weeks each year in Portugal...

No, that's the Money Launderers' Visa :

The rules governing the granting of Residence Permit for Investment (ARI / Golden Visa), in force from 8 October 2012, enable third country nationals to obtain a temporary residence permit to conduct business activities with visa waiver to enter national territory. The beneficiaries of ARI / Golden Visa are entitled to:

• Residence visa waiver for entering Portugal;

• Living and working in Portugal, on condition that they stay in Portugal for a period of 7 or more days, in the first year, and 14 or more days, in the subsequent years;

• Visa exemption for travelling within the Schengen Area;

...(etc)
ARI - Residence permit for investment activity

Originally Posted by SteveWiFi (Post 12919381)
...although I still expect to spend at least 6 months in Portugal each year. I do plan on setting up a businesses in Portugal next year which I believe also gives me some leeway.

The EU citizen exercising FoM rights can apply for permanent resident status after 5 years of continuous residence :

Article 10

Right of permanent residence of Union citizens and their family members

1 - Union citizens who have resided legally for a continuous period of five consecutive years in the national territory shall have the right of permanent residence.

2 – The preceding paragraph shall also apply to family members who are nationals of a third State and have resided legally with the Union citizen in Portugal for a continuous period of five years.

3 – The right of Union citizens and their family members to permanent residence is not subject to the provisions established in chapter IV.

4 - Continuity of residence shall not be affected by temporary absences not exceeding a total of six consecutive months a year, or by absences of a longer duration for compulsory military service, or by one absence of a maximum of twelve consecutive months for important reasons such as pregnancy and childbirth, serious illness, study or vocational training, or a posting for professional matters in another Member State or a third country.

Act 37/2006 - the right of Union citizens and respective family members to move and reside freely within national territory

SteveWiFi Oct 7th 2020 12:56 pm

For sunshine, cheap wine and an all round better quality of life I can learn to live within the limitations! Again as I understand it from all of the articles I have read setting up a business in Portugal and employing a minimum of 10 people also gets around that problem, or I could sell my flat in London (that I bought 30 years ago) and buy the Money Launderers' Visa:thumbsup:

Red Eric Oct 7th 2020 1:20 pm

Yes, sorry about that :lol:

No slur on present company intended, but the EU Commission has finally called attention to the unsavoury possibilities afforded by so-called Golden Visas on offer in various member states.

There are, of course, savoury possibilities as well.

Pistolpete2 Oct 8th 2020 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12919659)
Yes, sorry about that :lol:

No slur on present company intended, but the EU Commission has finally called attention to the unsavoury possibilities afforded by so-called Golden Visas on offer in various member states.

There are, of course, savoury possibilities as well.

I am a little confused regarding the fine print in the various 'advisors' websites who are pitching their talent towards those who might consider the Golden Visa route.

As I see it, one simply buys a property for Euros 350,000 or one discounted by 20% if it needs doing up in a designated development area of low population (such as Faro?).

This gives you residency subject to minimal stay requirements and unless one occupies the property as one's home there is no tax residency and you move towards permanent residency and a passport after five years, without the normal annual stay in Portugal requirements of six months continuous or eight in total??

Buy or create a property with an apartment like a nice separate granny annexe and own access and it looks like a deal.