Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Physiotherapy in Portugal

Physiotherapy in Portugal

Old Nov 6th 2020, 11:43 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 3
IsabellaHandcock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Physiotherapy in Portugal

Hi,

I’m a current physiotherapy student from England and once I graduate I would love to move to Portugal and work.

If anyone has any contacts or experience/tips in finding jobs in Portugal as a recently graduated physiotherapist from UK I would love to hear from you and maybe get to know you better, as I’m always looking for new friends too.

I plan on chatting to the British embassy about logistics and I am currently having online Portuguese lessons while studying my degree too.

Anything anyone thinks would be helpful in entering the physiotherapy field in Portugal or anything about what I need to do beforehand would be great.

Looking forward to hearing responses,
Isabella
IsabellaHandcock is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2020, 10:30 am
  #2  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,136
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physiotherapy in Portugal

Originally Posted by IsabellaHandcock View Post
Hi,

I’m a current physiotherapy student from England and once I graduate I would love to move to Portugal and work.

If anyone has any contacts or experience/tips in finding jobs in Portugal as a recently graduated physiotherapist from UK I would love to hear from you and maybe get to know you better, as I’m always looking for new friends too.

I plan on chatting to the British embassy about logistics and I am currently having online Portuguese lessons while studying my degree too.

Anything anyone thinks would be helpful in entering the physiotherapy field in Portugal or anything about what I need to do beforehand would be great.

Looking forward to hearing responses,
Isabella
Hi, you'd have to check that your UK diploma would be recognized in Portugal, esp. as you'd be a non-EU citizen in 2021.
If it were France, for example, even if your diploma is recognized and you arrive before the end of December 2020, you would have to pass a language exam. before being able to register and work, since you'd have to prove that you can communicate with French patients. At the same time as having on-line lessons for "conversational" Portuguese, study as from now all the anatomical/medical terms, in preparation for a probable exam. A quick look shows that many terms are based on Latin/Greek, similar to English, which will help....
Good luck with your plans!
dmu is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2020, 10:36 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 3
IsabellaHandcock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Physiotherapy in Portugal

Hi dmu,

Thank you for your reply, yes I am looking at anatomical/medical terms also and luckily as you have said they are very similar if not completely the same in both languages due to them mostly being kept in their latin origin.
I will ask my teacher about taking a portuguese language exam when I am ready (I believe that to work I need to be level B1?)

And do I need to register to the APFISIO organisation?

Isabella
IsabellaHandcock is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2020, 12:41 pm
  #4  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,136
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physiotherapy in Portugal

Originally Posted by IsabellaHandcock View Post
Hi dmu,

Thank you for your reply, yes I am looking at anatomical/medical terms also and luckily as you have said they are very similar if not completely the same in both languages due to them mostly being kept in their latin origin.
I will ask my teacher about taking a portuguese language exam when I am ready (I believe that to work I need to be level B1?)

And do I need to register to the APFISIO organisation?

Isabella
Some one on the Portugal forum must answer that one, but I suspect that health professionals should be at level B2 at least. It wouldn't be a Portuguese language exam., as in obtaining a certificate that you're competent at level xx, but a written/oral/practical exam. on the spot, prepared by the Portuguese Health Authorities.
dmu is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2020, 8:06 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 239
Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physiotherapy in Portugal

Originally Posted by IsabellaHandcock View Post
Hi dmu,

Thank you for your reply, yes I am looking at anatomical/medical terms also and luckily as you have said they are very similar if not completely the same in both languages due to them mostly being kept in their latin origin.
I will ask my teacher about taking a portuguese language exam when I am ready (I believe that to work I need to be level B1?)

And do I need to register to the APFISIO organisation?

Isabella
Perhaps your first port of call is to contact the APFISIO and ask there how you should go about it. There must be rules and regulations to follow if you want to practice in Portugal within the Portuguese system. Does your college have any links to advise you?
Rambling archer is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2020, 4:48 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: bute
Posts: 9,486
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physiotherapy in Portugal

Do not expect much help from The British Embassy.
scot47 is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2020, 8:34 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: East Algarve
Posts: 600
BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physiotherapy in Portugal

Before planning to have a chat with the British Embassy, have a look at this website: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-portugal
BillBullock is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2020, 2:40 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
liveaboard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,378
liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physiotherapy in Portugal

Work is thin here in Portugal, and medical people are poorly paid.
Not that you can't do it; but it won't be very comfortable living from the wage you'll earn.
Presuming you can find work in your specialty in the area you want to live.
liveaboard is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2020, 8:22 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Pgmills is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Physiotherapy in Portugal

You might get €25 per hour gross.
Pgmills is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2020, 9:45 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 3
IsabellaHandcock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Physiotherapy in Portugal

Hi,

My university is very little help in navigating future career that isn’t in the NHS let alone another country 😅.
I know to use DGES to get my qualifications recognised and converted.
I will contact APFISIO when I can.
I’ve read UK government advice of working and living in Portugal.
Money isn’t as important to me, I know that by moving to Portugal I would earn less than here in UK, however, Portugal feels like more my home and the place for me than UK does now.

Thank you for all your advice thus far. It’s a fairly tedious road to get there with all this but I’ll get stuck in as soon as I’m able.
IsabellaHandcock is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2020, 7:53 am
  #11  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,136
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physiotherapy in Portugal

Originally Posted by IsabellaHandcock View Post
Hi,

My university is very little help in navigating future career that isn’t in the NHS let alone another country 😅.
I know to use DGES to get my qualifications recognised and converted.
I will contact APFISIO when I can.
I’ve read UK government advice of working and living in Portugal.
Money isn’t as important to me, I know that by moving to Portugal I would earn less than here in UK, however, Portugal feels like more my home and the place for me than UK does now.

Thank you for all your advice thus far. It’s a fairly tedious road to get there with all this but I’ll get stuck in as soon as I’m able.
Fair enough, but, if Portugal is anything like France, a prospective employer (hospital, reeducation centre, ...) would give priority to English-speaking Portuguese candidates for any jobs going. If you select an area with many expats (of all nationalities), you could set up your own physio practice and get English-speaking patients by word of mouth.
But first, get your UK Degree, master Portuguese during that time, and follow the regulations next year. It may be that you'll need proof of work when applying for a Visa. I'm being the Devil's Advocate here - fore-warned is fore-armed!
All the best!
dmu is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2020, 11:42 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 239
Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physiotherapy in Portugal

Originally Posted by dmu View Post
Fair enough, but, if Portugal is anything like France, a prospective employer (hospital, reeducation centre, ...) would give priority to English-speaking Portuguese candidates for any jobs going. If you select an area with many expats (of all nationalities), you could set up your own physio practice and get English-speaking patients by word of mouth.
But first, get your UK Degree, master Portuguese during that time, and follow the regulations next year. It may be that you'll need proof of work when applying for a Visa. I'm being the Devil's Advocate here - fore-warned is fore-armed!
All the best!
Rambling archer is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.