Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Physios in Portugal

Physios in Portugal

Old May 18th 2021, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Physios in Portugal

Somebody please tell me that they have good physios in Portugal. I've been laid up most of this year with a back problems. Latterly for four weeks with scatica. I was in so much pain not long ago I couldn't sit, walk, stand or lie down for more than 30 seconds at a time. Actually walking up and down the stairs gave me the most relief. I've barely slept for weeks but I seem to be able to sleep for longer at the moment. I can't run, wah!! I might go swimming as the pools have opened. I'm not sure.

I had to pay for a physio as there was a 10 week wating list on the NHS. I eventually got to speak to a physio who diganosed my problem over the phone and gave me exercises. None of the exercises given have helped and they've made it worse. Anyhoo, I'm hoping it will improve enough to drive and walk, but I'm hoping they have good physios in Portujgal so that any flare up can be managed. I am not usually this bad and I'm not sure what caused it.
Old May 18th 2021, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physios in Portugal

As to how good Physios are in any part of Portugal - really cannot advise. But depending on who you get, as far as we can say they are as brutal/efficient/friendly/effective as anywhere else! Had occasion to be referred by a PT GP for physio for a joint problem and all went smoothly. However note that although subsidised by the SNS there is a contributary cost - mine was 90 euros for a course of treatment and it was done at a Rehabilitation/Physio Centre rather than an out-patient clinic. There are private establishments and sports physios and insurance-funded clincis but I cannot vouch for them.
Old May 18th 2021, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
As to how good Physios are in any part of Portugal - really cannot advise. But depending on who you get, as far as we can say they are as brutal/efficient/friendly/effective as anywhere else! Had occasion to be referred by a PT GP for physio for a joint problem and all went smoothly. However note that although subsidised by the SNS there is a contributary cost - mine was 90 euros for a course of treatment and it was done at a Rehabilitation/Physio Centre rather than an out-patient clinic. There are private establishments and sports physios and insurance-funded clincis but I cannot vouch for them.
Was that recently and how long was the course? 90 e might not be too bad. I'm happy to pay for a private physio, just wondered if anyone had used one and what they thought of them. Hopefully, fingers crossed, I won't need one when I get over this, just covering all angles.

Last edited by bons; May 18th 2021 at 9:22 am.
Old May 18th 2021, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
The same procedure: the GP of the SNS send my husband to a private subsidised physio in Portimao. They started the next day, although it was not urgent. 15 times and he paid 90 EUR out of his pocket and the rest was paid by the SNS. It was a good experience and the physio gave some easy exercise to avoid problems in the future.

Old May 18th 2021, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilou
The same procedure: the GP of the SNS send my husband to a private subsidised physio in Portimao. They started the next day, although it was not urgent. 15 times and he paid 90 EUR out of his pocket and the rest was paid by the SNS. It was a good experience and the physio gave some easy exercise to avoid problems in the future.
That would agree with my experience too. I believe the SNS have standard fees that they will accept to pay the private sector whether it be for blood tests, x-rays, physio, or other?

Last edited by Rambling archer; May 18th 2021 at 6:57 pm. Reason: forgot a bit ...
Old May 19th 2021, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

I don't know where you are but there is Berry (Bernard) at The International Health Center in Albufeira ...

https://internationalhealthcentres.com/en/index.php

Old May 20th 2021, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies, I think help will be available should I need it.