Pet Passport

Old May 3rd 2022, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

littleyellowenterprise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pet Passport

I know this has probably been discussed on a number of occasions and if I drill down I probably would find the answer, but I'm far too impatient and lazy for that.
Since the UK is now no longer part of the EU what is the process for bringing your pet to Portugal?
Do I need to be registered with a Vet at either end and if so do I need to duplicate / triplicate this as I pass through France and Spain?
Old May 3rd 2022, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Passport

Hello - start with this
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-portugal#pets
moving on to
https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad

You do not need to be registered with any vet but the pet must have the proper paperwork and microchip and then you are OK wherever you go in EU. Basically if you are in UK to go to EU you need a UK issued certificate. If your pet already had an EU issued passport (not the old UK pet passport) your pet can travel on that - if you frequently travel to EU then it has been suggested a good thing is to get an EU passport while aborad with the pet and if you are spending some time in PT then that would be a good place to do it and then that will cover you for future travel. The UK cert has to be renewed frequently (not sure if it is annually or each time you travel !!!) and is not cheap. Note that in some EU countries, like in PT, the rabies vaccination is renewable every 3 years, whereas in UK it must be boosted annually, so using a EU vet to do your vaccs and passport, you have to be sure to remember to ask for the vacc to be updated each year if you will be traveling to UK.
So questions are
Does the pet already have an EU passport?
Has the pet been rabies vaccinated already, or do you have to get that done and the timing can be critical, your vet will advise.
Do you intend to be based (even become resident) in EU, or UK.
Old May 3rd 2022, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
... If your pet already had an EU issued passport (not the old UK pet passport) your pet can travel on that - if you frequently travel to EU then it has been suggested a good thing is to get an EU passport while aborad with the pet and if you are spending some time in PT then that would be a good place to do it and then that will cover you for future travel. ...
Not really a good thing if it's not valid.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...hern%20Ireland.
Old May 4th 2022, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Not really a good thing if it's not valid.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...hern%20Ireland.
That is a good link to a fairly clear explanation. I sit corrected but am a bit concerned as I have heard of EU pet passports being used successfully by some dog owners who have property in the EU and regularly cross from UK where they are resident ... no doubt someone on the ferry ports will catch up with this so I would not like OP to get caught out !
Old May 4th 2022, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly in France some vets will issue an EU pet passport to Brits with a holiday home in France provided they can provide proof of address such as an utility bill.Others will not as they say they also want a Carte de Sejour I suppose you pays your money and you takes your choice/risk that your pet may not be allowed to travel