Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Permanent Residency and Language Skills

Permanent Residency and Language Skills

Old Aug 21st 2020, 3:06 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 54
bicabica has a spectacular aura aboutbicabica has a spectacular aura aboutbicabica has a spectacular aura about
Default Permanent Residency and Language Skills

I'm a few years into my temporary Portuguese residency so don't have to worry about exchanging it for permanent residency for a while yet. However I have read in a few places that to get permanent residency you need to be able to demonstrate basic Portuguese language skills. I was under the impression that language skills were only needed when applying for citizenship.

Can anyone who has permanent residency throw any light on this?
bicabica is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2020, 3:15 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Loafing Along's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,271
Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency and Language Skills

Originally Posted by bicabica View Post
I'm a few years into my temporary Portuguese residency so don't have to worry about exchanging it for permanent residency for a while yet. However I have read in a few places that to get permanent residency you need to be able to demonstrate basic Portuguese language skills. I was under the impression that language skills were only needed when applying for citizenship.

Can anyone who has permanent residency throw any light on this?
The SEF page makes no mention of it
https://www.sef.pt/en/Pages/conteudo...he.aspx?nID=22

If you click on the link the form is there in Portuguese - again no reference to language skills.
As you state the language test comes with the citizenship application.

Loafing Along is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2020, 5:52 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 54
bicabica has a spectacular aura aboutbicabica has a spectacular aura aboutbicabica has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Permanent Residency and Language Skills

Thanks for the link. That's really helpful.

After a bit of googling for something unrelated I came across https://www.belionpartners.com/portuguese-language-test which starts off: "Passing a Portuguese test of "basic knowledge" is required for all applicants applying for permanent residency or citizenship."

I then landed on https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/solicitar/residir/art80/, which appears to be an official SEF site, where it says under Article 80 – Permanent Residence Permit, Documents Required: "Evidence of basic command of the Portuguese language, by presenting:
  • A certificate issued by a Portuguese official or officially recognized teaching establishment, or
  • Where the applicant attended an official or officially recognized teaching establishment in a Portuguese speaking country, an attestation of successful completion of studies issued by that teaching establishment, or
  • Attestation of successful completion of elementary Portuguese studies issued by the Institute for Employment and Professional Training (IEFP) or by any other official or officially recognized teaching establishment, or
  • Certificate of knowledge of basic Portuguese, through a test in Teaching Portuguese as a Foreign Language (CAPLE), recognized by the Ministry of Education and Science.
So you can understand my confusion.
bicabica is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2020, 6:12 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Loafing Along's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,271
Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency and Language Skills

Originally Posted by bicabica View Post
Thanks for the link. That's really helpful.

After a bit of googling for something unrelated I came across https://www.belionpartners.com/portuguese-language-test which starts off: "Passing a Portuguese test of "basic knowledge" is required for all applicants applying for permanent residency or citizenship."

I then landed on https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/solicitar/residir/art80/, which appears to be an official SEF site, where it says under Article 80 – Permanent Residence Permit, Documents Required: "Evidence of basic command of the Portuguese language, by presenting:
  • A certificate issued by a Portuguese official or officially recognized teaching establishment, or
  • Where the applicant attended an official or officially recognized teaching establishment in a Portuguese speaking country, an attestation of successful completion of studies issued by that teaching establishment, or
  • Attestation of successful completion of elementary Portuguese studies issued by the Institute for Employment and Professional Training (IEFP) or by any other official or officially recognized teaching establishment, or
  • Certificate of knowledge of basic Portuguese, through a test in Teaching Portuguese as a Foreign Language (CAPLE), recognized by the Ministry of Education and Science.
So you can understand my confusion.
Just looked at the SEF site again - yes confusing as Article 78 different set of requirements.
Loafing Along is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2020, 7:11 pm
  #5  
Polished expat
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 15,774
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency and Language Skills

It's the pesky "benefits" of being in the EU, again!

You're denied the opportunity of having to sit a language test if you're an EU citizen applying for your permanent residence document. They just hand them out like confetti.

Everybody else gets to do it properly.
Red Eric is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 2:39 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 257
qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency and Language Skills

https://www.instituto-camoes.pt/en/a...-a2-self-study
Anyone has tried this and any feedback. Still few year for me to go but I'd like to look into it now.
qianh is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 3:28 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Loafing Along's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,271
Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency and Language Skills

Originally Posted by qianh View Post
https://www.instituto-camoes.pt/en/a...-a2-self-study
Anyone has tried this and any feedback. Still few year for me to go but I'd like to look into it now.
Distance learning is a lovely concept but cannot replace physical presence in the country. When I first moved to Spain , before coming to Portugal, I learnt numbers by watching basketball matches on the TV ( the Spanish are basketball fanatics ) as the numbers showed up on the screen and the the commentator shouted them out. Here in Portugal no substitute for TV , several channels english original language with Portuguese subtitles.
What you will get from online learning, which is worth having, is some grammatical structure so worth it but make sure it is not Brazilian Portuguese - it's as different as Oxford English from "American"
Loafing Along is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 9:26 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 218
Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency and Language Skills

I’m sure I read something ‘official’ earlier this year that said that if a British person gains residency prior to the end of the transition period, then when they come to apply for their permanent residency, they would be treated as when they were a EU citizen I.e. no language test.
Mac and Mabel is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 11:30 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Wales/Ribatejo
Posts: 505
toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency and Language Skills

I think this only applies if you are married to a Portuguese national.
toots sweet is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 12:33 pm
  #10  
Polished expat
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 15,774
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency and Language Skills

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel View Post
I’m sure I read something ‘official’ earlier this year that said that if a British person gains residency prior to the end of the transition period, then when they come to apply for their permanent residency, they would be treated as when they were a EU citizen I.e. no language test.
Correct - no conditions beyond those which currently exist.

Originally Posted by toots sweet View Post
I think this only applies if you are married to a Portuguese national.
I think you may be thinking of applications for citizenship, as opposed to permanent residency for EU citizens or those of us covered, post Brexit, by the Withdrawal Agreement.
Red Eric is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.