Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Pergola / Lean-to

Pergola / Lean-to

Old May 8th 2018, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all
Default Pergola / Lean-to

Yes I know the answer is ‘ask the camêra’ and I will do, but wondered if anyone has any experiences.

I want to build a lean-to next to the house as a pérgula type thing. No sides, just columns and some kind of roof, maybe barasti etc to use as a car port. It’s a bit large though, maybe 6x6 metres. So question is would I need permission? It will need concrete foundations for the poles so could be construed as a permanent structure hence my question. Has anyone built anything similar?
Old May 8th 2018, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pergola / Lean-to

Originally Posted by Jonny22
Yes I know the answer is ‘ask the camêra’ and I will do, but wondered if anyone has any experiences.

I want to build a lean-to next to the house as a pérgula type thing. No sides, just columns and some kind of roof, maybe barasti etc to use as a car port. It’s a bit large though, maybe 6x6 metres. So question is would I need permission? It will need concrete foundations for the poles so could be construed as a permanent structure hence my question. Has anyone built anything similar?

When I built my Veranda out of wood I first dug holes in the ground and built square foundations and put a piece of rebar in the top. The rebar was for the uprights to stand on. An officer from the Camara has been up to look at projects in the village and nothing was said. If I had to the foundations could be removed as it was built with that in mind hopefully I should not have a need to remove the foundations.

Peter

Last edited by peterfc; May 8th 2018 at 10:58 pm.
Old May 9th 2018, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone says to ask the camara, but I disagree.

The camara has to tell you the official version, and will probably just say 'No', since that's always the safe answer.
In reality, a lot of things that are technically not allowed, are tolerated.
Ask around, ask people who know people, ask people who have such things in your area.

I am told that in my camara at least, we can build a roof on posts as long as it has no enclosed sides; but that's pretty much useless as rain tends to move sideways near the coast.

So in reality, everyone puts up some sort of siding on 2 or 3 sides.
As for what is permitted to hold the posts; beats me.
I dug 1 meter deep holes and set 18cm diameter impregnated poles in concrete. The structure has withstood storms that ripped the steel roof off a big barn and uprooted trees.
Corner braces and long lag bolts make it strong.

Pergola / Lean-to-rv-shelter-construction.jpg
Old May 9th 2018, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Everyone says to ask the camara, but I disagree.

The camara has to tell you the official version, and will probably just say 'No', since that's always the safe answer.
In reality, a lot of things that are technically not allowed, are tolerated.
Ask around, ask people who know people, ask people who have such things in your area.

I am told that in my camara at least, we can build a roof on posts as long as it has no enclosed sides; but that's pretty much useless as rain tends to move sideways near the coast.

So in reality, everyone puts up some sort of siding on 2 or 3 sides.
As for what is permitted to hold the posts; beats me.
I dug 1 meter deep holes and set 18cm diameter impregnated poles in concrete. The structure has withstood storms that ripped the steel roof off a big barn and uprooted trees.
Corner braces and long lag bolts make it strong.

Attachment 129987
Thanks for the feedback, but I fear I may have bigger issues.
To get the 6m span I need, without intermediate supports and without going to the expense of massive timbers or glulam beams think I’ll need 10cm square galvanised steel tubes which are available locally. It’s going to be an industrial sized structure which may attract attention. Plus the fact that one end is hanging off the house wall would maybe need a structural engineer to review it. I’m sure that in the U.K. it would need to pass building regulations but not sure how that would work here. Need to ponder a bit more.

Old May 10th 2018, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I think the rule of thumb seems to be that anything 'structural' requiring foundations or support from an existing building will need permission from the Camera. Anything that can be removed (like my 'Temple of Diana wooden swing support) does not...If you have neighbours who might object..risky...If your in the middle of nowhere.???
Old May 10th 2018, 11:32 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback, but I fear I may have bigger issues.
To get the 6m span I need, without intermediate supports and without going to the expense of massive timbers or glulam beams think I’ll need 10cm square galvanised steel tubes which are available locally. It’s going to be an industrial sized structure which may attract attention. Plus the fact that one end is hanging off the house wall would maybe need a structural engineer to review it. I’m sure that in the U.K. it would need to pass building regulations but not sure how that would work here. Need to ponder a bit more.
I think you are answering your own question - an industrial-sized construction with foundations is unlikely to be legal unless all the necessary construction rules are followed .... and this likely means a licence from the Câmara. At the very least, you'll need to talk to someone who knows the relevant rules and how they are applied locally. Check out the local architects and find one that has a good reputation in your area - an initial consultation won't cost a fortune and they are unlikely to be obstructive.

In the end, you can do what you like - but if the GNR or fiscais from the Câmara find out, the fines can be steep (starting at €500 plus costs) - plus you'll likely have problems when you come to sell.
Old May 10th 2018, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking about building a 6 X 15 meter roof with one edge on an existing shed, for keeping the rain off my tractor + things.
It's a risk; they might make me take it down. Then again, they might not.