Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

People who live in Portugal

People who live in Portugal

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default People who live in Portugal

If you have made the move to Portugal what can you say about your experiences. Was it the best thing you ever did? Do you think you might go back to your country of origin at some point?
What are the best bits about living there. What are the bits that you just have to put up with, but it's worth it.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People who live in Portugal

There is no way on this earth, unless I'm completely gaga, would I go back to live in England. And I'd have to be unaware I was doing it.

The pitfalls can be many, if you make them, but go with the flow. Going to the doctor, if you're lucky enough to get one, making appointments for other things can be a real pain in the posterior, but just go with it.

Don't get ratty, don't stamp and shout, you will get things done better by speaking the language, being as polite as you can be, smile.

We lived in the East Algarve for 10 years, loved it, made many friends, our Portuguese neighbours treated us as an oddity to begin with, as we were the only foreigners and English in the village. That soon changed and they helped us tremendously. We had a party when we left, to move to a quieter life, which they all thought was bonkers.

But we love our life here, have made many more friends, have learnt more Portuguese - different accents, but hey ho.

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road

well said ouriquejan. It is not the country that you move to that matters as much as the attitude you bring with you. However, Portugal is a great option and lovely, open, genuinely friendly people.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing we did; bought a property with a cool Atlantic breeze and plentiful water.

One time a neighbor got angry with me and told me to "go home".
I told him I am home. I live here, not going anywhere.
He's Swiss and only comes for a few weeks a year.

Having said that, many people do return "Home", and the major reason is family bonds. Changing country and language isn't for everyone.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fergus
well said ouriquejan. It is not the country that you move to that matters as much as the attitude you bring with you. However, Portugal is a great option and lovely, open, genuinely friendly people.
I'm not sure that's strictly true, I lived in Spain for two years and found it to be very noisy. By contrast, Portugal seemed to be a bit more civilised when I've been there on holiday. You can't tell until you've lived there though.
Only three people have said they love it in Portugal...

Last edited by bons; Jul 5th 2020 at 11:19 am.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Lived in Spain for years many years ago, and for a much shorter time in Portugal. Can't imagine ever wanting to go back to the UK,personally, as I realised I wanted to leave 35 years ago (unfortunately life got in the way).
Old Jul 5th 2020, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suiko
Lived in Spain for years many years ago, and for a much shorter time in Portugal. Can't imagine ever wanting to go back to the UK,personally, as I realised I wanted to leave 35 years ago (unfortunately life got in the way).
I thought you were in the UK right now.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I am
Old Jul 5th 2020, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a huge fan of Iberia, absolutely love it and nothing would ever entice me to live in the UK again, especially now. In the highly unlikely event that all hell was to break loose in Iberia, I would move to Ireland but never the UK.