Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

PCR test or other tests for flying to the UK

PCR test or other tests for flying to the UK

Old Mar 23rd 2021, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute
Default PCR test or other tests for flying to the UK

I have a flight to the UK on the 2nd of June. I am not holding my breath as I have already had 6 flights cancelled! My local clinic charges €100 for a PCR test. Other tests are acceptable to the UK and cheaper. Does anyone know where I can get a cheaper test in or near Tavira? Yesterday I read on another site that the Red Cross do a much cheaper test. Any ideas?
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

1711JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PCR test or other tests for flying to the UK

Originally Posted by morro
I have a flight to the UK on the 2nd of June. I am not holding my breath as I have already had 6 flights cancelled! My local clinic charges €100 for a PCR test. Other tests are acceptable to the UK and cheaper. Does anyone know where I can get a cheaper test in or near Tavira? Yesterday I read on another site that the Red Cross do a much cheaper test. Any ideas?
No one knows what will happen tomorrow, least of all in June. When we came back to the UK (arriving on Sunday the 13th of Feb a day before the hotel stay became compulsory), we had to have the Covid PCR test at euro 100 in Tavira, not the cheap one at E20 at the red cross centre. If you arrive at the airport with the wrong type, you will either be rejected and not able to fly or when arriving in the UK will have to pay for a Covid PCR test.

Also, coming from Portugal (as a red list country at the time), but sailing from Santander at passport control in the UK we were asked where we had come from, although Spain was the obvious answer, we declared Portugal as well and I am sure Passport Control knew as they should.

The simple answer, is do the research and do not try to buck the system. Its there for the safety of all of us.

John
Old Mar 24th 2021, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like antigen test is accepted by UK...read here Gov webpage
But looks as if you have to have 2 covid tests during the 10 day quarantine period after arrival at your expense !!
That is as well as a negative test before departure
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ing-to-england
Old Mar 24th 2021, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.... the test centres must be running all the way to the bank. Don't mind paying but the costs are just over the top. The government should look at the prices .Maybe they have shares!
Old Mar 26th 2021, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toots sweet
Yes.... the test centres must be running all the way to the bank. Don't mind paying but the costs are just over the top. The government should look at the prices .Maybe they have shares!
"Maybe"

Any recommendations on an acceptable antigen test available in Algarve?
Old Mar 26th 2021, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

have a look here, I have not called them but looks promising either Faro or Portimao, at €35 for antigen test result in 2 hours

https://www.portugalresident.com/hpa...elas-hospital/
Old Mar 26th 2021, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't I read in one of the Algarve 'papers that one can now buy a self-test kit at chemists? Not sure how valid this would be for travel, if at all.
Old Mar 30th 2021, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wellinever
Looks like antigen test is accepted by UK...read here Gov webpage
But looks as if you have to have 2 covid tests during the 10 day quarantine period after arrival at your expense !!
That is as well as a negative test before departure
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ing-to-england
It is accepted and you will need the prebooked tests during your mandatory 10 day self isolation (at the bargain price of £210 per person!

You also get a daily call from Test & Trace!