Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

PCR, Antigen tests for flights to UK

PCR, Antigen tests for flights to UK

Old May 25th 2021, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute
Default PCR, Antigen tests for flights to UK

I am eventually flying back to the UK next week having been here for 6 months due to Covid! Where can I get an Antigen test in Tavira? The last time I asked Germano De Souza they only did a PCR test for 100 Euros!!!
Old May 25th 2021, 9:57 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PCR, Antigen tests for flights to UK

I think you need a PCR test not antigen to enter the UK. I'm heading back on Friday, Faro to Birmingham, just navigating the testing minefield myself.
Old May 25th 2021, 10:07 am
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

So detailed here : https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...vel-to-england

So technically antigen tests are OK. None of the ones I could find online met the standards though, so safer just to get a PCR test than be turned away at check in.
Old May 25th 2021, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

sam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the rough

I've just had to organise this for my worried elderly parents - it's a lot of admin! But this is what is what you need to do it (i've done it a fair few times now):

1. Lateral Flow Test - in Tavira (within 72 hours of boarding your flight)
You need a Lateral Flow Test to board-the-plane / get through UK passport control (and everyone at the airport in PT wants to see it, too!). I have not been here yet (as only just learned about it) but am planning to in a couple of weeks when i go back to UK. But a friend of a friend recommended it - the Red Cross in Tavira:
Red Cross (a Cruz Vermelha, Largo do Carmo, 8800-311 Tavira, Tel: +351 281 323 473, [email protected] , you can book online: https://testescovidcvp.pt/ - it costs around €25. Take your passport with you! BTW, you can only take this test 72 hours before you board your flight, so bare that in mind.

2. *Book* a PCR Test to be done in first 48 hours back in UK
Then, you also need to have *booked* a PCR test to take within the first 48 hours of being back in the UK. - you'll need the reference code for the booking before they let you back in to the UK. I would just use a postal / do-it-at-home (Qured and Randox do them, I've used both - Randox is a tad cheaper (the Asda of testing, so customer support is more limited), Qured is a bit slicker (the Waitrose of Testing!) - there are a load of discount codes on BA.com - https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...9-tests#before ). When you book, you will get a reference code - which is the code that UK Passport officials want to see (as 'proof' you're going to do the PCR test within 48 hours of landing) and you also need to enter the reference code on the UK Passenger Locator Form

3. Fill in the UK Passenger Locator Form - fill in a day or so before you fly
It's a couple of pages long (all the usual info - passport etc and you need to include the reference code for your PCR Test that you'll take within 48 hours of returning). The form is here: https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-c...fore-travel-uk Once you submit it, you'll get an automated email with a QR code on it. You'll need to show it a few times to different officials.

The only other thing to add is that *everyone* wants to see your passport / test results / test bookings / passenger locator forms (check-in, passport officials, boarding plane officials...) so have them somewhere to hand.

Hope that helps!

Sam
Old May 25th 2021, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

sam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the roughsam349 is a jewel in the rough

PS - don't eat or drink for *30 mins before* you do the test (and don't brush your teeth during those 30 mins either), as it can effect the test result (making it positive, when it really isn't). It's in the small print of most of the tests, but most people miss it.
Old May 25th 2021, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute

I just went to the Red Cross in Tavira. They were excellent. Booked one for 2 days before my flight- 20 Euros, results will be emailed in one hour. Just received a confirmation email. It is only a 5 minute walk from my house!
Old May 25th 2021, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

I looked at the Red Cross online €20 would be a good saving . Is it definitely acceptable for the flight .
Old May 25th 2021, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

I think the short answer is 'yes'!

UK GVT says to ‘board the plane’ / the Lateral Flow Test must:
“meet performance standards of ≥ 97% specificity, ≥ 80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml.”
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...vel-to-england

The Red Cross website says their Anti-Gen / Lateral Flow test has:
“specificity ≥ 97%” and "sensitivity ≥ 90%”
[‘Sensibilidade igual ou superior a 90% e Especificidade igual ou superior a 97%;’]
https://testescovidcvp.pt/testes-detecao-antigenio/

It should be more than fine.

I’ve done the trip (PT to UK) a few times in the last 2 months. When you land in the UK, the Passport officials look at this test email / certificate for 10 seconds - they look to check the passport number is the same as what’s on your test result document; and look for the word “negative’. [understandably, they’re definitely not looking at the specificity or sensitivity!]. That's the same as what the check-in staff do as well.

And then they look at the Passenger Locator Form for 10 seconds, to check that the reference number for your Day 2 PCR test is the same as what’s on your booking confirmation email from your PCR test provider.

@morro - let us know you get on with the Red Cross, as i've not done the test there before (but am planning on using it next time) if it's good.
Old May 25th 2021, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Hope so just booked in at Faro Red cross for flight to UK in June
Old May 25th 2021, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

For the test at the Red Cross in Tavira you go to the back entrance Not the front by the church!
Old May 25th 2021, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Bytor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sam349
I've just had to organise this for my worried elderly parents - it's a lot of admin! But this is what is what you need to do it (i've done it a fair few times now):

1. Lateral Flow Test - in Tavira (within 72 hours of boarding your flight)
You need a Lateral Flow Test to board-the-plane / get through UK passport control (and everyone at the airport in PT wants to see it, too!). I have not been here yet (as only just learned about it) but am planning to in a couple of weeks when i go back to UK. But a friend of a friend recommended it - the Red Cross in Tavira:
Red Cross (a Cruz Vermelha, Largo do Carmo, 8800-311 Tavira, Tel: +351 281 323 473, [email protected] , you can book online: https://testescovidcvp.pt/ - it costs around €25. Take your passport with you! BTW, you can only take this test 72 hours before you board your flight, so bare that in mind.

2. *Book* a PCR Test to be done in first 48 hours back in UK
Then, you also need to have *booked* a PCR test to take within the first 48 hours of being back in the UK. - you'll need the reference code for the booking before they let you back in to the UK. I would just use a postal / do-it-at-home (Qured and Randox do them, I've used both - Randox is a tad cheaper (the Asda of testing, so customer support is more limited), Qured is a bit slicker (the Waitrose of Testing!) - there are a load of discount codes on BA.com - https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...9-tests#before ). When you book, you will get a reference code - which is the code that UK Passport officials want to see (as 'proof' you're going to do the PCR test within 48 hours of landing) and you also need to enter the reference code on the UK Passenger Locator Form

3. Fill in the UK Passenger Locator Form - fill in a day or so before you fly
It's a couple of pages long (all the usual info - passport etc and you need to include the reference code for your PCR Test that you'll take within 48 hours of returning). The form is here: https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-c...fore-travel-uk Once you submit it, you'll get an automated email with a QR code on it. You'll need to show it a few times to different officials.

The only other thing to add is that *everyone* wants to see your passport / test results / test bookings / passenger locator forms (check-in, passport officials, boarding plane officials...) so have them somewhere to hand.

Hope that helps!

Sam
Excellent informative post Sam 👍
Old May 25th 2021, 7:13 pm
Happiest in the sun

The Red Cross option looks good, there's one in Faro too. When they send the results certificate is it in English? According to gov.uk they will only accept English, French or Spanish.
Old May 25th 2021, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Score76
The Red Cross option looks good, there's one in Faro too. When they send the results certificate is it in English? According to gov.uk they will only accept English, French or Spanish.
Yes, in the FAQs on their Red Cross website for the lateral flow test - https://testescovidcvp.pt/testes-detecao-antigenio/ - it says they’ll provide the medical results / declaration in Portuguese and English:

>>>PRECISO DE UMA DECLARAÇÃO EM INGLÊS. É POSSÍVEL?
>>>Sim, é possível. Enviamos sempre a declaração em português e inglês.

Old May 25th 2021, 8:33 pm
Happiest in the sun

Booked for tomorrow morning, will report back how it goes...
Old May 26th 2021, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Score76
Booked for tomorrow morning, will report back how it goes...
Yes please do, I got one booked for Mid June at Faro.
Also be good to know if any issues with airline or UK border people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.