British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   payment for road toll (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/payment-road-toll-944301/)

wellinever Jun 9th 2022 8:06 am

payment for road toll

Has anyone paid for a road toll charge for the A22 online using CTT??
If so did it all go without hitch?

1Steve Jun 9th 2022 12:21 pm

Re: payment for road toll

Yes I paid by using Multibanco and no problems. Not sure if you can pay with foreign credit or debit card although you can register your car for Easy-toll (foreign plates only) using a foreign debit/credit .

BillBullock Jun 9th 2022 3:13 pm

I have been using the CTT service ever since the toll charge was introduced. It works very well

wellinever Jun 10th 2022 8:06 am

I looked at CTT website tother day. Yeh it all looks easy but never quite sure until you try. I will be out of PT after the car is driven on the a22 to airport, and handy if I can pay online using my PT bank account, then I can do it when back in UK for couple months, to get out of this heat !!!!
Is that what you do Bill?

riv Jun 10th 2022 8:21 am

I am acquiring a Portuguese plated car in Sept. or Oct..

Can someone say what is the very SIMPLEST mechanism to set up for automatic payment, eg from a Portuguese bank bankcard ? Can one link the number plate to the card and then forget about it ?

I don't use online banking, but have a card which I have used at the Multibanco machine.

1Steve Jun 10th 2022 8:32 am

riv I have a ViaVerde electronic tag in my car and payment is made automatically by direct debit. Costs about 5 euros/year to rent but you save that in the admin fess you have to pay for each journey if you pay by debit card or at the CTT. You drive through the automatic lane at the booths and don't have to stop and queue to pay. Only takes a few days for the electronic tag to arrive after you register and then you activate it using Multibanco.

riv Jun 10th 2022 11:12 am

When you say ' Direct Debit ' ~do you mean debited directly from a bank card number ? Or the palaver of setting up a Direct Debit with one's bank ?

Also, does this arrangement also cover paid motorways in Spain ? Or does that require some other mechanism ?

I have in the past used a system of this kind, I think, which worked with a UK reg car, and covered Spain as well as Portugal.

1Steve Jun 10th 2022 11:31 am

When you register they will send you out the electronic tag. The letter that comes along with it has the instructions, in Portuguese, on how to activate the tag. You go to a cash machine, put in your Portuguese debit card and follow the instructions on the letter. Takes about 60 seconds and that is all you need to do. All future tolls will be debited from your bank account. Yes you can have Spain included but I do not have that on mine. Once a month you will get a detailed bill by email of all the tolls you have used.

riv Jun 10th 2022 11:37 am

Thanks for the nitty gritty detail of how to set it up. Sounds perfect.

sportpix Jun 10th 2022 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by 1Steve (Post 13121060)
When you register they will send you out the electronic tag. The letter that comes along with it has the instructions, in Portuguese, on how to activate the tag. You go to a cash machine, put in your Portuguese debit card and follow the instructions on the letter. Takes about 60 seconds and that is all you need to do. All future tolls will be debited from your bank account. Yes you can have Spain included but I do not have that on mine. Once a month you will get a detailed bill by email of all the tolls you have used.

Convinced I would get it wrong if I applied online i went to the via verde office in Faro and registered at the counter. The guy spoke excellent English and the whole thing took less than five minutes, and I walked out with the tag, stuck it in the car window and off I went. One less thing to stress about. Apart from the A22 you can also use the tag on parking meters and car parks, such as the one at the airport. This is very efficient and actually saves you money because you only get charged for the time you’re there. Ever left a car park one minute after the hour and cursed your luck?

Rambling archer Jun 10th 2022 2:21 pm

Also the Via verde system means that on the "other" motorways which are not Electronic, you again go through the special lane and slow down but do not stop, no need to pay at a booth or queue - all goes through on your monthly debit via the bank. I believe there are discounts for certain services linked to the system but have not had occasion to use any. The car parks system works well too.
Also if for some reason you need to change the number of the vehicle you registered to the account, it is easy to do that on line too - say you borrow a car, use a hire car without an electronic tag, change your vehicle for a new one, etc. You just have to remember to change it back again to your usual vehicle.

Alan PT Jun 10th 2022 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by sportpix (Post 13121077)
Convinced I would get it wrong if I applied online i went to the via verde office in Faro and registered at the counter. The guy spoke excellent English and the whole thing took less than five minutes, and I walked out with the tag, stuck it in the car window and off I went. One less thing to stress about. Apart from the A22 you can also use the tag on parking meters and car parks, such as the one at the airport. This is very efficient and actually saves you money because you only get charged for the time you’re there. Ever left a car park one minute after the hour and cursed your luck?

One thing to watch, there was a change made earlier this year - you now pay double the monthly rental fee if you want access to parking and other services: https://observador.pt/2021/12/07/ser...o-proximo-ano/

BillBullock Jun 11th 2022 11:41 am

Originally Posted by wellinever (Post 13121037)
I looked at CTT website tother day. Yeh it all looks easy but never quite sure until you try. I will be out of PT after the car is driven on the a22 to airport, and handy if I can pay online using my PT bank account, then I can do it when back in UK for couple months, to get out of this heat !!!!
Is that what you do Bill?

Yes, that's it.

flatlndr Jun 16th 2022 8:43 am

In Jan, I ordered a ViaVerde tag ... https://visitors.viaverde.pt/en/
It cost 5€ in the first month I used it (Jan) and 1.25€ in subsequent months (Feb, Jun), plus actual tolls.

When I received it in the post in Jan, I registered the hire car (small local company which doesn't provide transponders).
When I returned the hire car, I de-registered the number plate.
When I arrived again this past Saturday, I registered the plate and set off. The toll charges went directly to my credit card.
When I leave in a week, I'll de-register the plate

The website has an English option, but the app seems to restricted to Portuguese, but I managed ... used my wife's phone to translate some of the text.

On previous trips I would have gone to the post office to pay the tolls in person. This is so much easier.

Geronimal Jun 20th 2022 9:21 am

Yes the CTT app and they give you an entity code to pay via MB way.
Also suggest signing up for the CTT email/message reminders, it’s easy to forget these things.