Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Packages from outside EU

Packages from outside EU

Old Aug 31st 2021, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Packages from outside EU

It is not just deliveries ex-UK that are being held up in customs .
Today's Dairio de Noticias long article on complaints from consumers not receiving packages. The situation has got worse since July as the VAT exemption previously applied to goods with a value less than €22,- has been scrapped.

https://www.dn.pt/sociedade/clientes...-14072601.html
Old Sep 2nd 2021, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packages from outside EU

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
It is not just deliveries ex-UK that are being held up in customs .
Today's Dairio de Noticias long article on complaints from consumers not receiving packages. The situation has got worse since July as the VAT exemption previously applied to goods with a value less than €22,- has been scrapped.

https://www.dn.pt/sociedade/clientes...-14072601.html
Still trying to get my 2nd hand book from Abe books through customs - it cost £1.87
Old Sep 6th 2021, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I just made a 40 euro order from Amazon, cutting tools which probably come from China.
The seller's address is China and the likely delivery time is 3-4 weeks. Otherwise, the point of dispatch is unclear.

The payment page states that VAT is included.
No mention of customs charges.

I'll keep you all informed.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still waiting for the tools mentioned above, but in the meantime I ordered an article of clothing from Amazon.es.

I had no idea that it was going to be sent from China. I wouldn't have ordered it if I had known that.
I find this really annoying, the tools are worth the bother but this item isn't.

Anyway, I got a customs demand by sms, and after the normal struggle with the ctt website (proof of payment? Eh?) I paid an additional 8.55 euros.

So, just because you order an item from an EU store doesn't mean you don't get all the same trouble.
Old Sep 25th 2021, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I'm still waiting for the tools mentioned above, but in the meantime I ordered an article of clothing from Amazon.es.

I had no idea that it was going to be sent from China. I wouldn't have ordered it if I had known that.
I find this really annoying, the tools are worth the bother but this item isn't.

Anyway, I got a customs demand by sms, and after the normal struggle with the ctt website (proof of payment? Eh?) I paid an additional 8.55 euros.

So, just because you order an item from an EU store doesn't mean you don't get all the same trouble.
Amazon always shows the details about the seller, you just have to click on its name.

Had similar issue with UK Amazon 10 years ago, had to pay VAT and custom's duty of around £30 on an order that was advertised as all taxes included.
Got nowhere with the seller, complained to Amazon and got a prompt refund.
It all depends on how the price is advertised.
Old Sep 26th 2021, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SgtTroy
Had similar issue with UK Amazon 10 years ago, had to pay VAT
Living in a VAT free country I have always had this problem with on line sales.

I have to work out if the purchase is worth it against the not always possiblilty of purchasing elsewhere.

I had very few problems when making business purchases
Old Sep 26th 2021, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, you can click on the seller and it gives their location, but doesn't specify where the item is posted from. The item was billed including vat; but how can you charge the VAT without first knowing the import duty??
I don't know if charged again for VAT when I paid the import duty, the total came to 31% so probably not.
We can assume it's the same place, but in practice parcels often appear to arrive from other places.

There really should be a filter for that, even ebay has location filters. Amazon is supposed to be a retail site for regular people to use. This sort of "Gotcha!" experience is discouraging.
Old Sep 26th 2021, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

I ordered some yarn from Turkey (have used them for a few years now) on the 16th. Received message from TNT/FedEx it was in Customs Lisbon and needed my NIF ??? Gave it and it was delivered to my PO Box (no signature required) on Tuesday the 21st. What is that all about?
Old Sep 26th 2021, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can click on the seller and it gives their location, but doesn't specify where the item is posted from.
Best advice I can offer is to look carefully at the expected delivery time - if it's 2 weeks or more then I generally assume it's coming from China/HK
Old Sep 26th 2021, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

borisface is an unknown quantity at this point

Why bother? It's a hassle. Plenty of choice from within the EU. Some basic due diligence on Amazon.es shows from where the item is dispatched. Interesting that there is an active thread complaining about bureaucracy in Portugal, so why court it?
Old Oct 7th 2021, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Looking for another hard to find item; I stumbled across a UK ebay advertisement with an attractive price, and it states customs duties will be prepaid through the ebay "worldwide shipping program".

In this case I found a PT shop that is around the same cost so I'll go with that, but has anyone received goods in Portugal from ebay this way?
Old Oct 7th 2021, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Looking for another hard to find item; I stumbled across a UK ebay advertisement with an attractive price, and it states customs duties will be prepaid through the ebay "worldwide shipping program".

In this case I found a PT shop that is around the same cost so I'll go with that, but has anyone received goods in Portugal from ebay this way?
I used to work for the company that provides this solution to ebay. The core is a worldwide database/calculation engine which ensures the correct values and all the correct paperwork is done for all duties. It's pretty foolproof so I'd be surprised if you get any extra charges BUT that doesn't necessarily mean that you won't have holdups due to all the other packages caught up in the general mess
Old Oct 7th 2021, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, that's encouraging.

Meanwhile, the cutting tool tips I ordered from China, through Amazon a couple of weeks ago, arrived without any formalities or extra payments made.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

10 days after paying customs duty, no sign of my order and the ctt customs website says it's awaiting payment.

So some Amazon sellers who are China based say "fulfilled by Amazon" on their advertisement.
Amazon page states that means Amazon sends it to you.
But does that mean the item is sent from an EU location??
Old Oct 13th 2021, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

10 days after paying customs duty, no sign of my order and the ctt customs website says it's awaiting payment.

So some Amazon sellers who are China based say "fulfilled by Amazon" on their advertisement.
Amazon page states that means Amazon sends it to you.
But does that mean the item is sent from an EU location??
Almost certainly does, yes. You can verify by checked the expected shipping time. Only small risk is that it could be fulfilled from the UK, but I think Amazon is much less likely to do that now, it's clearly more trouble to get the stuff into the UK that to one of their EU locations in the first place, so very little incentive to fulfill from UK to EU. You could always webchat with Amazon to verify for the particular item, their web support people are very helpful

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.