Reload this Page >

Owning a toll card rather than hiring from car hire places

Owning a toll card rather than hiring from car hire places

Old Jul 30th 2017, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

robbobkirk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Owning a toll card rather than hiring from car hire places

Hi,

Newbie question so I apologise if this is a FAQ that I've missed.

I don't live in Portugal full time but I do visit a lot (a few times each year). I want to stop paying the car hire companies to rent the toll device for the car as the cost adds up and I don't want to have the hassle of visiting post offices either. I've looked at Via Verde and it looks like you can get a occasional use tariff but I believe this needs to be tied to a specific car registration.

Is there not a way of getting a toll device and then just attaching to a car each time I go?

Thanks for any help,

Rob
Old Jul 30th 2017, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Owning a toll card rather than hiring from car hire places

Originally Posted by robbobkirk
Hi,

Newbie question so I apologise if this is a FAQ that I've missed.

I don't live in Portugal full time but I do visit a lot (a few times each year). I want to stop paying the car hire companies to rent the toll device for the car as the cost adds up and I don't want to have the hassle of visiting post offices either. I've looked at Via Verde and it looks like you can get a occasional use tariff but I believe this needs to be tied to a specific car registration.

Is there not a way of getting a toll device and then just attaching to a car each time I go?

Thanks for any help,

Rob
If you buy the Via Verde transponder and register on their web you can change the registration of the car to which the transponder is associated.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Pré-Pago Anónimo is a possible solution but it requires loading with 10€ every 90 days to keep it activated and once active, minimum load of 5€ to pay for consumption. It can go dormant and be re-activated before use if you only visit in summer, for example.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
If you buy the Via Verde transponder and register on their web you can change the registration of the car to which the transponder is associated.
You'll need ownership papers for that, I think.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
You'll need ownership papers for that, I think.
Just been on Via Verde site and yes you will need car Log Book - sorry not a solution

Last edited by Loafing Along; Jul 30th 2017 at 6:23 pm. Reason: Correct original text
Old Jul 30th 2017, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robbobkirk
I want to stop paying the car hire companies to rent the toll device for the car as the cost adds up
Might be easier to just find a better car hire company. The one we use charge 20€ for the transponder, but with 20€ credit on it. If you don't use the full 20€ you lose it but we use about that in a return trip to Faro.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Pré-Pago Anónimo is a possible solution but it requires loading with 10€ every 90 days to keep it activated and once active, minimum load of 5€ to pay for consumption. It can go dormant and be re-activated before use if you only visit in summer, for example.
Thanks Richard

Just had a look at the website and this looks promising. I might give this a try in September when I'm due to go again.

They really should make this easier to encourage people to use the pre-pay system. I don't like the car hire using it as yet another mechanism to try and rip people off. Think Avis charged about 4-5 Euros a day (+ the actual tolls) when I was there last month.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not sure where you'll be in Portugal but the Pré-Pago Anónimo transponder from CTT only works on the electronic-only toll roads, such as the A22 in the Algarve. It will not allow you to use the ViaVerde lanes on motorways where you can also take a ticket/pay at a kiosk.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Oh dear. I was looking for something like the the car hire places do that works through the ViaVerde lanes as well as the Algarve.

So are there no other options?
Old Aug 1st 2017, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want to buy a PT registered car and open a PT bank account then the only real option is to choose a rental car with a better toll deal. For example I usually rent drive4fun at P4 Faro. They take 20€ cash and a credit card number. The transponder/(your account) is credited with 15€ so the net transponder rental is 5€ per visit - which is not bad really. The tolls themselves have a few c€ added as administration but not very much. It would take an awful lot of visits before you cover the cost of your own transponder.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeJ
If you don't want to buy a PT registered car and open a PT bank account then the only real option is to choose a rental car with a better toll deal. For example I usually rent drive4fun at P4 Faro. They take 20€ cash and a credit card number. The transponder/(your account) is credited with 15€ so the net transponder rental is 5€ per visit - which is not bad really. The tolls themselves have a few c€ added as administration but not very much. It would take an awful lot of visits before you cover the cost of your own transponder.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeJ
... It would take an awful lot of visits before you cover the cost of your own transponder.
Since I typically incur just under 10€ of tolls per hire, I'm in profit after 3 hires.
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 9:24 am
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
Might be easier to just find a better car hire company. The one we use charge 20€ for the transponder, but with 20€ credit on it. If you don't use the full 20€ you lose it but we use about that in a return trip to Faro.
--------------------------------
Which hirer is that, please, AliceCaroline?
Thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007Steve
--------------------------------
Which hirer is that, please, AliceCaroline?
Thanks
We always use Travelrent, they operate out of a cabin in car park 4 at Faro.

TravelRent - Car Hire Company
Old Aug 2nd 2017, 8:05 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
We always use Travelrent, they operate out of a cabin in car park 4 at Faro.

TravelRent - Car Hire Company
Much obliged!
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.