Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Overview of Expat areas

Overview of Expat areas

Old Apr 18th 2019, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Overview of Expat areas

Hi all. We've been expats around the world for the last 20 years, currently residing in the Bocas del Toro islands in Panama- totally off-grid, no cars (or even roads) and a hard-earned, but rewarding lifestyle. We (my wife and I, early 40's) are originally from the UK and ready to consider a move back in that direction, with Portugal being our preference.

We now are looking for a villa lifestyle, close to the coast and an expat community as well as a indulging in the local flavours. We like the heat, hence Panama, but happy to consider anywhere along the coast. Wherever we move, we rent initially and explore for a year or so to lock down the right place for us. We're fortunate that we're semi-retired and therefore we don't require fast access to cities and the like however close access to restaurants, bars etc is for us.

Which areas do people suggest we research further and why? We will be doing a couple of reccie trips in 2019/20.

I can't find a thread on here answering this but assume it has been answered before- so apologies if I repeat what's gone before...

Sambo
Old Apr 18th 2019, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overview of Expat areas

Originally Posted by sambo76
Hi all. We've been expats around the world for the last 20 years, currently residing in the Bocas del Toro islands in Panama- totally off-grid, no cars (or even roads) and a hard-earned, but rewarding lifestyle. We (my wife and I, early 40's) are originally from the UK and ready to consider a move back in that direction, with Portugal being our preference.

We now are looking for a villa lifestyle, close to the coast and an expat community as well as a indulging in the local flavours. We like the heat, hence Panama, but happy to consider anywhere along the coast. Wherever we move, we rent initially and explore for a year or so to lock down the right place for us. We're fortunate that we're semi-retired and therefore we don't require fast access to cities and the like however close access to restaurants, bars etc is for us.

Which areas do people suggest we research further and why? We will be doing a couple of reccie trips in 2019/20.

I can't find a thread on here answering this but assume it has been answered before- so apologies if I repeat what's gone before...

Sambo
come to the Algarve and just explore , some differences East and West but meets nearly all of your specification
Old Apr 18th 2019, 5:43 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

If you are desperate for the expat life, the Algarve has the most...... but Portugal isn't huge, so a couple of hours takes you a long way.

Try the Alentejo litoral - just 10-15kms from the west coast ...... lots of people living off-grid in the hills but easy access to towns (Odemira) and the sea.

Or Setubal, if you want a bigger conurbation - nice city with the Troia peninsula and resident dolphins.

Or, my old favourite - the eastern Alentejo on the Spanish border, Portalegre, Marvao, Castelo de Vide.... history aplenty and other advantages too ...... a bit far from airports, but hey.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 8:37 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

I am a bit puzzled in that you paint quite an idyllic picture of where your are at the moment.

One might need to know what it is extra which you are looking for which causes you to wish to depart.

And also ~how important is heat ? Apart from July and August I don't think Portugal would ever match Panama for temperatures. Bear in mind that from about late November thru' March weather is changeable and can easily be windy / rainy / chilly ~ even for renting you might want to ensure you have a fireplace or logburner stove to make wintry evenings more cosy.

Budget might be an issue also. Inland Alentejo a lot cheaper than seaview Algarve or Silver Coast ( north of Lisbon ).
Old Apr 19th 2019, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

We're north of lisbon near caldas da rainha.
lots to do here and a good life can be had.
as stated above you need heating and we found it quite difficult to find long term rental.
Currently paying 750 amonth plus utilities 3 bed villa on condo with pool.
Property which ticks our boxes tends to go quite quickly so contemplating having something built if we dont get fixed up by summers end.

Good luck
Old Apr 19th 2019, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Sambo
I'm recommending the Algarve having read your post twice. We've loved it for the past 16 years since retiring from the UK. I know it mentions tourism in the link but you will get a flavour of the Algarve from this website: Algarve, Portugal a Tourism Holiday Guide - Updated for 2019!

Also have a look at: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/portugal/the-algarve

Old Apr 19th 2019, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks to everyone who has suggested areas to consider, and links to read and digest. Please keep the suggestions coming and I'll ask for feedback on areas I have found. Our next trip to Europe is July 2019 so leaning on your combined wisdom and experience is invaluable.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by riv
I am a bit puzzled in that you paint quite an idyllic picture of where your are at the moment.

One might need to know what it is extra which you are looking for which causes you to wish to depart.

And also ~how important is heat ? Apart from July and August I don't think Portugal would ever match Panama for temperatures. Bear in mind that from about late November thru' March weather is changeable and can easily be windy / rainy / chilly ~ even for renting you might want to ensure you have a fireplace or logburner stove to make wintry evenings more cosy.

Budget might be an issue also. Inland Alentejo a lot cheaper than seaview Algarve or Silver Coast ( north of Lisbon ).

Thanks for asking why we're wishing to leave here. Short answer we're not feeling a 'push' from here, more so a 'pull' to be closer to home and Europe. Panama is an amazing experience and has taught me more in the few years I've been here than the rest of my expat life. But, it's time to migrate towards home, older parents etc.

Heat we enjoy, but isn't so important, at least not year round. And nowhere will match the jungle here for heat (well humidity) - that's something we won't miss!

We love to move around the world, live in new cultures and experience new things- Europe is next on the list - with Portugal coming out on top at the mo
Old Apr 19th 2019, 3:24 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for asking why we're wishing to leave here. Short answer we're not feeling a 'push' from here, more so a 'pull' to be closer to home and Europe. Panama is an amazing experience and has taught me more in the few years I've been here than the rest of my expat life. But, it's time to migrate towards home, older parents etc.

Heat we enjoy, but isn't so important, at least not year round. And nowhere will match the jungle here for heat (well humidity) - that's something we won't miss!

We love to move around the world, live in new cultures and experience new things- Europe is next on the list - with Portugal coming out on top at the mo
Come, look around and enjoy!

For a small country, Portugal has a wealth of things to see and experience - a truly great Capital, some fine cities and many, many smaller towns, each with their own traditions and culinary specialities ( and wine!) If you like history, it is overflowing - if you want "experience", you'll find it in spades. If you want to sit on a blue-flag beach and eat some of the best seafood in the world... that's here too, if you want the things a major city can provide, Lisbon and Porto will do it for you.

In my area, it is all about peace and quiet - the loudest noise normally is the bells on the sheep and cattle. Yet I am under an hour's easy drive from beaches to the West and to the South and two hours from Lisbon. I am an easy 1h20 drive from Faro airport, with an option to fly to Lisbon if it works out better. My nearest town is 10km away and is fine for day-to-day and has a public library, loja de cidadao, tax office and all the necessary infrastructure. The train station is 15kn away and has trains that reach Lisbon in 2 hours for under €20, or go to the Algarve the other way. There are regular express coaches, leather seats and A/C, which link the town to other centres. All this in one of the least populated regions in Europe.

So, come, rent a car, drive and stay in local hotels - just don't expect to sit still for too long!!
Old Apr 19th 2019, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just up the road from Macliam and love it here, nearer the small place that is Ourique, with most things you need.

We moved from the East Algarve 3 years ago and it is the best thing we did, apart from moving to Portugal.

The East Algarve may suit you, as it has a busy ex-pat community - but that is why we decided to move, only to find there's just as many up here. But we do not join in with the coffee morning, book clubs etc and just do our own thing.

The East Algarve is the warmest in the winter, normally, but you also have some humidity. Look at Olhao, Faro, Fuzeta. Cabanas and Monte Gordo are just pure touristy areas.

Visit and explore - took us years before we moved, to find the right place. The right place was the East Algarve, but as we got older, the Alentejo called.

Feel free to ask anything.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you guys for your detailed posts, and most importantly why you like/prefer a certain area- this is most helpful and welcome. We'll most likely research for the year, take a trip or two over to visit our target areas then move and rent, and explore for another year before settling. We are leaning towards somewhere in easy reach of Faro, primarily because of the flights to BHX which is closest to both our families. The climate too I have to say is a big draw too, but it's very early days and we'll keep on keeping on. We are pretty impulsive so once we decide we're moving somewhere (eg Panama!) it's just a matter of time and hundreds of hours of research/reccie trips.

And yes ouriquejan , I will be asking, thanks!
Old Apr 19th 2019, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

The joy of impulse buying.

We'd been coming over for about 5 years, looking at different areas, at different times of the year.

Thought we knew what we wanted.

Then bought, on the day before we flew back to England a 3 storey townhouse in Fuzeta. Not been there before, knew nothing about the area but spent 10 very very happy years there. Made some brilliant friends, mostly Portuguese.

Sometimes, it just feels right.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 9:34 pm
Resident Cynic

I spent about 7 years touring about - all the usual things, right place in the wrong area, right area but wrong place..... all over, South of the Vouga.
Spent good days and bad days, found out about winter humidity in coastal regions (!), experienced a close encounter with black pigs (bring clothes peg), woke up in a deluxe hotel to see the red flag fluttering opposite (yes, Red Eric, the Alentejo!) and stuck to the pavement in Moura at 42C.

Then I said to myself, "bugger this for a game of soldiers!" and went off to visit some friends who had just moved to Wexford.

Came back to the UK and SWMBO said "I've seen this place on the internet and arranged to visit it...."

So, sod's law works as well!!
Old Apr 19th 2019, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

I hear ya! We moved to the US from Australia (work related though) having never been and spent 4 happy years there. We then tried to get to Mexico on air miles but found Panama was the only option at the times we had so headed here instead. Two weeks here and we were down the following year applying successfully for our Permanent Residence! Research is invaluable but gut instinct should never be ignored
Old Apr 20th 2019, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

From your responses sambo76, the East Algarve is one of the first places you should explore. We are 20-25 minutes drive from Faro airport, depending on the traffic in Olhão, our nearest town for essential shopping. We are in the countryside and on the coastal plain which is important from the point of view of weather: we get less rain than our friends who live in the foothills 5 km to the north and more sunshine. Our nearest neighbours are Portuguese which encourages you to learn the language. The nearest good beach is 10 minutes drive away at Fuseta, a lovely seaside resort but getting busier every year and to be avoided in August unless you like crowds of people on your beach and on the ferry to the island. I recommend you read up about Fuseta and the local area.

We had been visiting the Tavira area for 10 years (before retiring) and using it as a base for exploring the rest of the Algarve. However, the ideal house turned up closer to Olhão and Moncarapacho and we fell in love with it. Nearly 16 years after settling here, we have no regrets and realise how lucky we were to find the right place for us without having to rent first and then do a protracted search. Normally I would say choose the location first before selecting the house. With a bit of luck, you will find the right house and avoid the headache of a new build. Some would advise against buying a plot of land and building your ideal house because of the Portuguese planning and building problems: it can take ages and seems to be unnecessarily complicated.

Last edited by BillBullock; Apr 20th 2019 at 7:54 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.