at our wits end

Old Nov 23rd 2021, 1:10 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 283
santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute
Default at our wits end

we have come to the end of our tether with one of our dogs ,Charlie came into our village 4 years ago as a stray aged about 9 months to a year,we alreadyhad two podengos but after a couple of days his play fighting with Wookie turned into real fights,which Wookie just does not do.and was coming off worse so i took him(Charlie) to municiple shelter what a awful place after two nights of sole searching i went back and got him,sure we could overcome any problems,we had to have him chipped and castrated before they would release him.
it soon became cleare that charlie had some very bad issues,his dislike of cats soon became evident when while out walking with him he chased and caught two cats within a week.so we had to confine him to the garden,and keep him away from our other two.over the years he has not responded to any of our love and care he does not even respond to his name.and he then has started to attack me for no reason one miniute i am kicking a ball for him and the next he just flys at me,i wont let my wife anywhere near him.
i have tried a couple of rescue centers for help but i dont expext them to just take him off of our hands and have been very honest about his problems,i was just hoping they might have more success in calming him than i have had,even offering to rehome one of there more placid stays that would slot into our norman family life.but i understand why they say they cant help.Yesterday he went for me again,he is not a big dog so i am able to hold him off and move out of distance,so i called out vet and explained our problem and she said he should be put to sleep and told me what is involved,i would have to go the th Municiple vet would would then write the paper for the vet to proceed,so today i went to him and outlined the last 4 years with Charlie,only to be told that unless i have the records of docter or hospital visits caused by charlie then he could not autherise anything he said unless i can prove that i have had treatment at least 3 times nothing can be done.we dread the future as he a young dog and we are far from young,if he gets out and attacks people in the village we will be held responsable quite rightly so.So while i dont want to stop people taking in strays we have taken 3 before Charlie,be careful they dont all turn out nice.

Last edited by santaanita; Nov 23rd 2021 at 1:12 pm.
santaanita is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 5:40 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 135
Fluffyhead will become famous soon enough
Default Re: at our wits end

That's such a sad story, Charlie obviously has problems - have you ever considered giving him some kind of chill pills to make both his and your lives a bit better?
Fluffyhead is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 6:07 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 283
santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: at our wits end

Originally Posted by Fluffyhead View Post
That's such a sad story, Charlie obviously has problems - have you ever considered giving him some kind of chill pills to make both his and your lives a bit better?
hi yes a while back we put a muzzle on him when i walked him but it took over a week to get it off him,luckly the muzzle was a bit big and
he could still eat and drink ,but every time i went near the back of his head to unclip it he would go beserk,a friend who had travel over on the ferry with their dog had given him some chill pills and had some over so suggested i gave him someso i followed the instructions but upped it by half a tab more than reccomended dose left him for about 5hours went up and he was bouncing off the walls no effect at all.
santaanita is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 7:31 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 168
NataHH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: at our wits end

Originally Posted by santaanita View Post
we have come to the end of our tether with one of our dogs ,Charlie came into our village 4 years ago as a stray aged about 9 months to a year,we alreadyhad two podengos but after a couple of days his play fighting with Wookie turned into real fights,which Wookie just does not do.and was coming off worse so i took him(Charlie) to municiple shelter what a awful place after two nights of sole searching i went back and got him,sure we could overcome any problems,we had to have him chipped and castrated before they would release him.
it soon became cleare that charlie had some very bad issues,his dislike of cats soon became evident when while out walking with him he chased and caught two cats within a week.so we had to confine him to the garden,and keep him away from our other two.over the years he has not responded to any of our love and care he does not even respond to his name.and he then has started to attack me for no reason one miniute i am kicking a ball for him and the next he just flys at me,i wont let my wife anywhere near him.
i have tried a couple of rescue centers for help but i dont expext them to just take him off of our hands and have been very honest about his problems,i was just hoping they might have more success in calming him than i have had,even offering to rehome one of there more placid stays that would slot into our norman family life.but i understand why they say they cant help.Yesterday he went for me again,he is not a big dog so i am able to hold him off and move out of distance,so i called out vet and explained our problem and she said he should be put to sleep and told me what is involved,i would have to go the th Municiple vet would would then write the paper for the vet to proceed,so today i went to him and outlined the last 4 years with Charlie,only to be told that unless i have the records of docter or hospital visits caused by charlie then he could not autherise anything he said unless i can prove that i have had treatment at least 3 times nothing can be done.we dread the future as he a young dog and we are far from young,if he gets out and attacks people in the village we will be held responsable quite rightly so.So while i dont want to stop people taking in strays we have taken 3 before Charlie,be careful they dont all turn out nice.
Santaanita
Reading your post I am not surprised that you are very concerned about Charlie's behaviour. You are not a novice with dogs and I am surprised that the Municiple vet does not take your concern on board. Why is Charlie so aggressive? Perhaps he can smell Wookie on your clothes. Whatever the reason you will never forgive yourself if he attacks someone.
I am absolutely flabbergasted that you have to show proof of 3 attacks that requires treatment before the Municipal vet is going to act. Is it mandatory to go via the Municipal vet? If so, I would send a letter or an email to him/her (copy to your vet), requesting confirmation in writing that you need indeed 3 medical treatments before he/she will act. I would add that you hold him/her responsible for any injury caused due to him/her ignoring your concern.
NataHH is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 7:55 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 283
santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: at our wits end

Originally Posted by NataHH View Post
Santaanita
Reading your post I am not surprised that you are very concerned about Charlie's behaviour. You are not a novice with dogs and I am surprised that the Municiple vet does not take your concern on board. Why is Charlie so aggressive? Perhaps he can smell Wookie on your clothes. Whatever the reason you will never forgive yourself if he attacks someone.
I am absolutely flabbergasted that you have to show proof of 3 attacks that requires treatment before the Municipal vet is going to act. Is it mandatory to go via the Municipal vet? If so, I would send a letter or an email to him/her (copy to your vet), requesting confirmation in writing that you need indeed 3 medical treatments before he/she will act. I would add that you hold him/her responsible for any injury caused due to him/her ignoring your concern.
when i told the vet of the early days getting my hands bitten trying to get him off of Wookie and had to go to Docs to get it cleaned and tetanus jabs he said i should go back back and get a paper from them,i am sure they would love that.
santaanita is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 8:54 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
liveaboard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,738
liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: at our wits end

It's a terrible day when you have to put down an animal; but I think that you're trying to do the right thing here.
Not all dogs are good. how and why makes no difference to your problem.

Have you tried other vets? Because your story seems really odd.
We've put down a couple of dogs at home, but the procedure is not anything I'd recommend.
liveaboard is offline  
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 9:57 pm
  #7  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 11,023
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: at our wits end

Call SEPNA (the GNR environment service) and ask their advice - stress that the dog is uncontrollable and untrustworthy. As they are both GNR and tasked with enforcing the various animal-related laws, they should be able to advise you AND show a little more concern about the possibility of injury to you or to others

As always, it depends if you get a good one, but generally they have always seemed to be pretty straight to me. At least then you will know the legal requirements and (hopefully) have some pointers - and you can't be worse off, can you?

As a tip, if the local bods are too busy with other things, call the SEPNA hotline in Lisbon, because when they tell the locals to jump, the locals go into orbit!
macliam is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2021, 7:33 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 283
santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: at our wits end

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Call SEPNA (the GNR environment service) and ask their advice - stress that the dog is uncontrollable and untrustworthy. As they are both GNR and tasked with enforcing the various animal-related laws, they should be able to advise you AND show a little more concern about the possibility of injury to you or to others

As always, it depends if you get a good one, but generally they have always seemed to be pretty straight to me. At least then you will know the legal requirements and (hopefully) have some pointers - and you can't be worse off, can you?

As a tip, if the local bods are too busy with other things, call the SEPNA hotline in Lisbon, because when they tell the locals to jump, the locals go into orbit!
i will contact them,i think its time not to forgive him again and again like we have in the past as i just cant see what more we can do with him,to sum him up is the word unpredictable,you just cant read his mind
santaanita is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2021, 7:11 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2019
Location: Aussie nomad with no fixed abode
Posts: 236
m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: at our wits end

Apart from the legal problems if the dog gets out and attacks someone (possibly a child) you wouldn't being able to live with yourself if someone was seriously injured.
m2m2012 is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2021, 9:04 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 283
santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: at our wits end

Originally Posted by m2m2012 View Post
Apart from the legal problems if the dog gets out and attacks someone (possibly a child) you wouldn't being able to live with yourself if someone was seriously injured.
Exactly,but i dont seem to be able to do anything within the law,and i wont be doing anything outside the law as some moronic expats in my area are suggesting to me, they are certainly off my christmas card list.
santaanita is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2021, 2:57 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 668
bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: at our wits end

Originally Posted by santaanita View Post
Exactly,but i dont seem to be able to do anything within the law,and i wont be doing anything outside the law as some moronic expats in my area are suggesting to me, they are certainly off my christmas card list.
I feel for you. We adopted a dog that turned out to be insane. We perservered with it until it started biting me, and it loved me!!!! It was totally leash reactive, barked at anything, would bark at a dog seen about 200m away and carry on for a long time after it had gone. I felt like I was in the SAS on walks, hiding behind bushes, walls and cars to avoid dogs. I made a lot of progress with him, but I couldn't have the biting. This was in the UK and we took him back to the rescue place we adopted him from with a total outline of his behaviour. We think he'd been a working dog. Not keeping him upset me more than dogs we've had who became old and had to be put down.
bons is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2021, 8:48 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 283
santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: at our wits end

Originally Posted by bons View Post
I feel for you. We adopted a dog that turned out to be insane. We perservered with it until it started biting me, and it loved me!!!! It was totally leash reactive, barked at anything, would bark at a dog seen about 200m away and carry on for a long time after it had gone. I felt like I was in the SAS on walks, hiding behind bushes, walls and cars to avoid dogs. I made a lot of progress with him, but I couldn't have the biting. This was in the UK and we took him back to the rescue place we adopted him from with a total outline of his behaviour. We think he'd been a working dog. Not keeping him upset me more than dogs we've had who became old and had to be put down.
Thanks Bons,this is Charlie is any has a idea of make and model of charlie i would like to know

Last edited by santaanita; Nov 30th 2021 at 9:11 am.
santaanita is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2021, 9:42 am
  #13  
Resident Cynic
 
macliam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Suffolk,UK; Alentejo, Portugal
Posts: 11,023
macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: at our wits end

Looks like a Heinz!

Any joy from SEPNA?
macliam is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2021, 10:23 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 668
bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: at our wits end

I agree. We had a mongrel with exactly the same markings when I was a kid, just a bit smaller.
bons is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2021, 11:09 am
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 638
Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: at our wits end

Originally Posted by santaanita View Post
Thanks Bons,this is Charlie is any has a idea of make and model of charlie i would like to know
Looks like he has some Rottweiler in him, possibly with some Bernese Mountain dog.
Shanorme is online now  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.