Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Our first bad experience in PT.

Our first bad experience in PT.

Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Re: Our first bad experience in PT.

Originally Posted by mfesharne
The last time I came across one of those was a senior PSP cop who after giving me grief about my lack of Portuguese I explained through an interpreter (who almost choked with laughter!) that I could speak 4 languages which was probably more than him and if he didn't like it, he could depart in a flurry of sexual endeavour!
If you grew up in South Africa you should be fluent in at least 3 languages and have a fluent understanding of spoken Dutch and written German.
My parents always spoke to me in Finnish so I still understand it but cannot hold a conversation in it.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute

Since we're touching on the subject of language learning etc - when I first arrived here, I attended Portuguese language lessons: 2-hour evening classes, twice a week, every week. It was tough going at first and after 6 months, I barely scraped through the level A1 exam to move up to level A2. Bizarrely, I did a bit better in Level A2. The classes were offered by the Camara Municipal for free - but they only covered levels A1 and A2. If you wanted to continue after that, you could find private tutours, or the horribly expensive language schools. I thought if I'd just continue practicing and using the language, I'm bound to improve gradually - and build on what I've learnt. But that was now 8 years a go - and to be honest, I have barely progressed beyond very simple conversation. And bear in mind, I work in a Portuguese company, in Lisbon, being the ONLY foreigner in a staff total of 92! On a social level, I remain an outsider as I cant just dive in with jokes and make small talk. (Maybe no bad thing actually!). And yes, this makes me feel excluded at times. Doesn't interfere with the work itself as I manage two international projects - so all technical reporting, meetings, quality management, financial management,conference calls etc are in English. And that is my single saving grace - and probably why I'm tolerated despite the lack of language proficiency.

Some people pick up languages better than others. I've found it quite hard. But there's no doubt that a whole new world opens up to you when you learn the language of the country you are living in. Without that - you will get by (as I have done), but you will never quite be able to join in the daily banter and become "one of the gang."
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ukkram
I have still never ever seen fresh hake at this Continente. There are tonnes of frozen hake imported from Chile and South Africa though and they are either baby hake or cutlets not conducive to filleting and making proper fish n chips.

Perhaps I lied a little. There was a security officer that spoke English at Continente but he is no longer there.
There are also 2 Mormons here from America and that's it.
I'm pretty surprised at this also, you do know hake is "pescada" I assume? It seems so common here, probably the most popular of all the fish sold here.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gedscottish
I'm pretty surprised at this also, you do know hake is "pescada" I assume? It seems so common here, probably the most popular of all the fish sold here.
I know it is pescada and is common here as congelado. I have resorted to using alabote (halibut) instead.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

I know it is pescada and is common here as congelado. I have resorted to using alabote (halibut) instead.
I'm about 45-60 mins south and east/inland of you, it's always in Continente here, in fact I got some today.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Ash Jez is on a distinguished road

I must say that this thread I've found very interesting for the most when considering the language. I dearly want to live there but at this time literally fear and the possible inability to learn it should I move there. I honestly can't see how people can be truly happy when they can't converse properly with those around them. Further, it's a real handicap and especially so when in an emergency such as illness or perhaps a vehicle breakdown in the middle of nowhere. That happened to me and I felt at the mercy of those that surrounded me.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 8:57 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash Jez
I must say that this thread I've found very interesting for the most when considering the language. I dearly want to live there but at this time literally fear and the possible inability to learn it should I move there. I honestly can't see how people can be truly happy when they can't converse properly with those around them. Further, it's a real handicap and especially so when in an emergency such as illness or perhaps a vehicle breakdown in the middle of nowhere. That happened to me and I felt at the mercy of those that surrounded me.
Well, dip your toe into the language now, try it if you come on holiday and see how you get on. Being able to say a few basic phrases is a great way to start - then trying to read the newspaper, etc (although that doesn't really prepare you for the spoken language)......

In real emergencies, someone will always be able to understand you here, I feel sure - and even though I can talk the hind leg off a donkey in Portuguese, I'm still very, very careful when it comes to technical or legal things and prefer to deal with someone in English for those matters..... at the very least it slows things down!

There are worse people to be at the mercy of than the Portuguese!
Old Apr 29th 2016, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

You know if you just make an effort they normally really appreciate it, don't expect to become fluent as few do and certainly not at retirement age. That said I find it shocking when I've seen fellow Brits in the supermarket etc blabbing away to the confused cashier in English and not even saying obrigado, I mean ffs at least say thank you in their langauge, why these people I know moved to the north I've no idea!
Old Apr 30th 2016, 7:30 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly can't see how people can be truly happy when they can't converse properly with those around them. Further, it's a real handicap and especially so when in an emergency such as illness or perhaps a vehicle breakdown in the middle of nowhere.
Yes - or even those moments of enforced intimacy not arising through emergencies. Things like having a hair cut, visiting the dentist or having a prostate exam. One always feels a bit of a chat to break the ice before we get down to business wouldn't go astray.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here for about 5 years and every professional such as dentists & doctors (both GP & hospital) have been fluent English speakers and phone services such as Meo & Bombeiros have had English speakers available but I agree the Portuguese really do appreciate it if you at least try to speak some Portuguese to them....... and even most of the supermarket staff in my local Intermarche speak some English and once they know you, like to practice their English on you...... and (luckily) pretty much all seem to understand that Portuguese is an incredibly hard language to learn.

What I find embarrassing are the weird 'under the radar' English types who often drive round in dodgy UK registered cars and dressed from head to toe in home knitted clothes like something out of a Robin Hood movie....... and I avoid that lot like the plague.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 9:10 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

You know if you just make an effort they normally really appreciate it, don't expect to become fluent as few do and certainly not at retirement age. That said I find it shocking when I've seen fellow Brits in the supermarket etc blabbing away to the confused cashier in English and not even saying obrigado, I mean ffs at least say thank you in their langauge, why these people I know moved to the north I've no idea!

Married 26 years to an AlfaƧinha, French and Spanish at school, learned Portuguese by ear from in-laws who speak B-all English - still murder the language, but to the delight of all!
Old Apr 30th 2016, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

We are retired so can live anywhere in Portugal but we prefer to live here in the north as we love the sea but have a dislike of the Mediterranean climate and vegetation of the south. Each to there own.

Very few people in our area of Viana understand English but should we move closer to the old city center, we would be happier as many there do speak English. It is a bit of a hassle to walk there or catch the bus when it rains all the time.
I will also not be buying a car because I have never in my life driven on the wrong side of the road. I will be a known road menace in no time.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

we love the sea but have a dislike of the Mediterranean climate and vegetation of the south. .
The Algarve is nowhere near the Mediterranean - it has an Atlantic coast and an Atlantic climate the same as the rest of Portugal (although just a little milder because its a little further south).

Not sure what you mean about Vegetation? I am looking out of the window now and I can see trees to the horizon that are carob, olive, fig, orange, lemon, palm, conifer and pine. Much the same mixture +- specific local trees like cork oak - as anywhere else in Portugal.

Come and visit
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ash Jez is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MrBife

Not sure what you mean about Vegetation? I am looking out of the window now and I can see trees to the horizon that are carob, olive, fig, orange, lemon, palm, conifer and pine. Much the same mixture +- specific local trees like cork oak - as anywhere else in Portugal.

Come and visit
It does tend to be a lot drier down South, perhaps that's what is meant. Think Coimbra and North of there for example with all the green.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrBife
The Algarve is nowhere near the Mediterranean - it has an Atlantic coast and an Atlantic climate the same as the rest of Portugal (although just a little milder because its a little further south).

Come and visit
I love the Algarve but the landscape difference between the algarve and the north is extreme. The north for me however is where I want to be and the algarve is where I like to holiday, each to their own for sure but it's a real shame for anyone living in the algarve not to see the north and vice versa. Portugal really has so much to offer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.